1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

iPad Mini vs. ????????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rockrivr1, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

YES, this is another one of those kind of posts! If you don't like it, don't post.

So the unbelievable happened at work today. I was called in to talk with my bosses boss this afternoon. First I was thinking "what the "f" does he want" as he can be a royal d'bag when he's not happy about something. Basically meaning, he's always a royal d'bag as he's never happy.

Well, I was in for a big surprise today. I sit down and he actually thanks me for all the good work and long hours I've been putting in over the last year. [shocked] I almost fell out of my friggin chair. No raises, no bonuses and no comp time has been the norm for the past couple years. Anyway he tells me that as a thank you I can go out and buy a mini tablet with my corporate credit card. Wow, big spender! lol Actually that's pretty cool for this guy to even give a positive review.

So I have absolutely no clue about these mini tablets as I've never really given much thought about them. So I think everyone knows about the iPad Mini, but after that I have no clue. I did some quick research and found that there are as many of these things as there are versions of 9mm. Great......

What's your guys thoughts? Get the iPad Mini, a Sony Xperia Tablet Z, a Google Nexus 7, etc'? What did you get and would you do it again or get something else?

Thanks.

2. skeetshooter

skeetshooter

iPad mini is great. And it's simple to use. That would be my choice

3. Coyote33

Coyote33

Got the wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for Christmas. They were out of the bigger ones. If they have the newer/bigger version of that, I strongly suggest it.

:)

4. Rookie82

Rookie82

I love my iPad.. Though I usually only use it for Internet , email primarily. You could probably get more for your money from something else ( sorry not to be more specific , as the IPad is the only tablet I've used). I would recommend an IPad to anyone and buy one myself...though I didn't pay for mine either :)

5. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Has a pen that is worth a damn, runs android, can be hacked and cracked to your hearts content, and most of the iPad is made by Samsung, anyway.

6. Navy Moose

Navy Moose

I have an iPad2 and I love it, and use it daily. It is a rare moment when I turn on my laptop.

7. chinalfr

chinalfr NES Member

Got any spending limit? If not, get the most expensive one. That's mean IPad 64 gig or surface Pro 2.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

8. Coyote33

Coyote33

Yeah, whatever you get, get the max memory they have. It is always hard to find in two or three years, when you want it most.

9. Dmiller27

Dmiller27 NES Member

Nexus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

10. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Nexus 7. I'm an Apple guy and I wanted to like the iPad Mini, but the resolution sucks and it is overpriced. So I got a Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 screen is just so much better.

11. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    I have a mini and a Nexus 7

Nexus 7 hands down the better machine.

Of course, that might change in a few days when Apple announces the new versions.

If you have Apple products now, wait for the new mini.

If not, you'll be very happy with the Nexus 7

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

12. PaulD

PaulD

It has to be a *mini* tablet? Why mini?

Anyway, if I were buying a tablet, I'd get an iPad with a retina display, which means the full size version. If you want to be nice, order a refurb and tell him you saved money.

13. MarkT

MarkT NES Member

+1

14. JRyan

JRyan

the 2013 Nexus 7 is hard to beat right now. Screen, speed, latest vs. of android and the price.

15. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

16. GomerPile

GomerPile

Wait till after the 22nd and see what new stuff apple announces...rumor is a retina ipad mini with the new 64 bit processor.

17. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Look at all the offerings without fruit on the shells, then decide which you like best. I'm very happy with my first release/generation Nexus 7 tablet. It's been rooted, but still running the official Android OS. I have additional apps installed that expand it's functionality. I'd look at the current version IF I was looking for a new tablet in the same size range.

18. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Banned

Nexus 7

Apple is dead... market share is plummeting for good reason.

19. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I agree with folks saying to wait until the 22nd for the Apple announcement.

I find the mini/Nexus 7 size to be better for reading books. The full size tablets are heavier than I want to hold for several hours. YMMV.

20. natf

natf NES Member

Either the 2013 version of the Nexus 7 or wait until the next iPad mini goes on sale after the 22nd. Do not buy the current iPad mini (or full size) and unless you have very specific needs do not buy any other "mini" size android tablet than the nexus 7. Personally I say nexus 7 no matter what but some people do like apple products.

Either way buy the highest storage version because your boss is paying. You might not need it but better safe than sorry.

21. GomerPile

GomerPile

The reason is that everyone and his brother is making crappy ass android tablets! I paid $58 for a 4.3 inch android tablet at KMart today (testing it for a project). It's about quality not quantity. None of these crappy tablets will get updates in a timely manner...if ever. Most of them are plastic pieces of shit. Resale value will be nothing in just a few months.

OTOH, apple products hold their value very well. We use iPads on our production floor and have been buying used 1st gen units...they are trouble free and work great. We have been getting them for about $170 each. How many devices that are nearly 4 years old hold their value like that?

BTW, I tested a few different android tablets for this application....battery life was shit, things unexpectedly stopped working for no reason, stupid production people kept messing up the settings, etc. I have had exactly zero issues with our fleet of 9 first gen iPads after months of operation.

1 person likes this.
  22. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Banned

A craptastic $50 pantech from KMart isn't whats killing Apple. It's stagnant software and hardware... it's the App Store falling behind Google Play... It's freedom of use versus the nannyism of the App Store. No one is buying an Apple product for resale value, and if they are they're shitty at math because the money they'd save by not buying one makes it break-even. Apple has boarded the failboat, post decline, game over, jobs is dead, no one wants proprietary chargers. Fin.

I work in IT too.. Apple sucks. Its consumer grade shit and losing ground every release cycle because of its closed platform. iOS is losing on the same ground MacOS never made it into the enterprise for. Cloudware gave it a brief boost to ride out the end of desktops, that is all.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  23. tele_mark

tele_mark

24. dreadedtrash

dreadedtrash

I am a die hard Android fan. I have had Android phones for 6 years or so and I hate all things apple. I have a HP TouchPad that I installed Android on it works great as a little internet tablet. That being said I work in IT and we have an on call rotation. When I first started I said that I didn't need the on call iPad because I had my own tablet. After a week of using both side by side for work I have to say that the iPad is the better device. Think about it if he is going to want you to use it for work see what apps you are going to need to use and see what platforms they are available for. This was the killer for me as the remote connection software that we use for work is not available on Android. The one that I use is the first generation and I still get good battery life out of it. Come budget time this year I am going to ask for a new one and see what they say, hey I didn't get a raise this year they should give me something right?

25. chris_1001

chris_1001 NES Member

I had and Acer tablet, hated it... gave it to my daughter and bough a Mini iPad, perfectly happy here... I also have an iPhone so I like that they are similar.

And I'm NO apple fanboi... Just had crappy experiences with prior smart phones and tablets. YMMV

26. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Unless the new version of the Asus Nexus 7 has fixed the battery problem, skip it. It's an awesome little machine, I agree, but the battery went dead before it was a year old, will not accept a charge. Trouble shot through all the forums. Straight up dead. Sitting in its original box now, and I haven't decided whether to find a battery for it, get one made or just straight up e-cycle it.

I want an iPad. I bought my wife one 2 years ago, and it just works.

- - - Updated - - -

I have one of those as well. It bricked. It's sitting in the original box. won't charge, using the original charger. I have shit luck with tablets.

27. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I sold both the Nexus 7 and Touchpad on eBay and picked up an iPad mini the other day. Right now you can get them at the AF Exchange at Hanscom for $289. As a comparison, apple store has them for $299, and Walmart has them for $339 still.

I like this mini so far.

I was able to revive the touchpad to brand new using a rootzwiki fix with webos dr.

28. hillman

hillman NES Member

As long as men wear sandals, apple will never die.

29. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

My Nexus 7 is well over a year old now and has had no problem with the battery. I refuse to give apple any of my money.

30. TonyDedo

TonyDedo

Ask him for cash instead. Unless you have a legit need/purpose for a tablet, it's just a worthless piece of consumer electronics that's going to be useless in 3 years. And in the meantime you're going to feel inclined to spend a bunch of money filling the thing with apps and videos and whatnot.

See if you can take cash and buy something useful (or better yet - stick it in your 401k).