• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Investing in PMs

I would try here in the classifieds first. There are plenty of precious metal buyers/investors/stackers/hoarders on NES that might give you an acceptable price for gold Maple Leafs.

I'm curious to what the final outcome was with Brewer's gold maples...

In rereading your post, I noticed that I rudely forgot to answer your specific question in my previous response. The selling price percentage under spot is always significantly different when comparing silver and gold. Because of that, I always look at actual dollar price under spot when evaluating offers to sell gold. The numbers are so small (relative to gold) when trading silver, so percentage under spot makes more sense. This is just my methodology, but I hope it helps.

Also, I collect silver 1 oz bars, so if anyone ever wants to trade vintage bars for other silver bars or eagles/maple leafs shoot me a line. I don't want to sell anything.

Thanks all for the advice. Been writing with a fellow NES'er about them now. Spot exchange is pretty advantageous to us both. Got a few more odd duck coins and now I know to start here.

Also, I collect silver 1 oz bars, so if anyone ever wants to trade vintage bars for other silver bars or eagles/maple leafs shoot me a line. I don't want to sell anything.

I'm the same way. I have walked right past and Eagle or Maple to put my hands on an oddball bar. especially something older than the 1970's (if so marked)
I have many odd Engelhard bars (poured, and stamped) that I have collected since the early 1980's. They have "personality"...

My favorite though is a 100 oz "butterbar" that looks a lot like this, but is a lot smoother.

iu

Also, I'd like to give out a "Kudos" for one of our members who sold a healthy amount of ASE's here on NES Member Classifieds at SPOT + a buck each.
This is the way to buy and sell my friends. He probably made at least $2 (each coin) over what he would have made selling it to a big bullion house on-line, minus shipping and insurance.
The seller also saved a buck or three buying from a seller here. A true WIN:WIN

I'd like to see more buying/selling/bartering here. Besides if we trust each other with buying/selling/trading guns, PM's is a no-brainer. Just do your Due Diligence first...

~Matt

Last edited:
Manchester coin show is coming up April 19-20. You can find some ok deals plus I think it is best to buy with cash.

If you have kids they have a great young numismatist program starting 10:30 AM Saturday. Show up a few minutes early to get a good seat and some of the best loot.
Usually 20-30 kids I would guess ages 5-13 years old. It will run to at least noon.
They usually give each kid a coin and go over how to put it in a flip and grade it.
Trivia, penny stacking and tons of giveaways. You will need to bring an extra bag to carry all the stuff they give out.
It turns the coin show into a family event and easily justifies going.

I'd like to see more buying/selling/bartering here. Besides if we trust each other with buying/selling/trading guns, PM's is a no-brainer. Just do your Due Diligence first...

That's a great idea. Big price hit today in Gold/Silver because of the strong dollar, so I picked up some gold at a pretty good price. Not the best time to sell any silver right now while the spot price is down, but I would make some sort of deal and trade random year Silver Eagles & Maple Leafs for cool 10oz and 20oz silver bars or 1/4oz and 1/2oz gold coins. If anyone wants to play, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Bumped for anybody following this thread: just posted a great deal for the gold stackers.
WTS - gold bullion world coins @ 5% below spot

I just checked out your offering catalog, Brewer and they are extremely nice coins. If I was in the market for AU right now I would not hesitate on your offer.
They are the real deal, and in nice sizes for financial prepping...

img_7000-jpg.278762

img_7007-jpg.278767

img_7004-jpg.278764

Plus, I love Mexican Plata y Oro...

Last edited:
My advice would be to invest in your debt. If you have ANY debt, mortgage, car loan, credit cards (God forbid), personal loans, etc., pay them off asap. Don't invest in PM's or anything else until you have ZERO debt obligations. The best way to amass wealth is to keep keep what you earn and pay as little as possible in interest. It makes little sense to make a few points on gold if you're paying 3 or 4 points on a 30 year mortgage.

I guess it depends on why you want to invest. Many of my family and friends buy Gold, Silver Rounds and Ingots.
I'm not buying to sell when the market jumps up, it's a reserve currency for me. I spent time buying on ebay and made a few bulk buys from Lynn Coins a few years back. This was back when the Market was about 28.00 oz :-(.
I'm more of the Post-Apocalyptic mindset. Gold seems to volatile and I wouldn't count on people having Acid Test Kits to make sure your Ingot or Round is actually Silver. To counterfeit Junk Silver is cost prohibitive, although I believe the Chinese were making fake Silver Dollars. I can make exact change with Dimes & Quarters. That way I won't have to Hacksaw a sliver off of a Gold Bar for a Chicken, some Ibuprofen, Q-Tips or a bag of fresh Turnips. Most of my Precious Metal is Brass & Lead. I have more .22 LR than all other calibers combined. I believe Ballistic Wampum will be a primary Barter item. Of course, you don't want your trade to literally bite you in the ass. Be cautious of who you trade with.

I guess it depends on why you want to invest. Many of my family and friends buy Gold, Silver Rounds and Ingots.
I'm not buying to sell when the market jumps up, it's a reserve currency for me. I spent time buying on ebay and made a few bulk buys from Lynn Coins a few years back. This was back when the Market was about 28.00 oz :-(.
I'm more of the Post-Apocalyptic mindset. Gold seems to volatile and I wouldn't count on people having Acid Test Kits to make sure your Ingot or Round is actually Silver. To counterfeit Junk Silver is cost prohibitive, although I believe the Chinese were making fake Silver Dollars. I can make exact change with Dimes & Quarters. That way I won't have to Hacksaw a sliver off of a Gold Bar for a Chicken, some Ibuprofen, Q-Tips or a bag of fresh Turnips. Most of my Precious Metal is Brass & Lead. I have more .22 LR than all other calibers combined. I believe Ballistic Wampum will be a primary Barter item. Of course, you don't want your trade to literally bite you in the ass. Be cautious of who you trade with.

I maintain a generational amount of .22LR. and almost as much 9MM. I almost never miss a chance to pick up more.

Just be sure to keep an inventory of all your PMs. You will need to report these as an asset if you or your spouse ever applies for Medicaid to pay for a nursing home.

I've had pretty good luck picking up a nice amount of platinum and and a handful of gold coins in the last few weeks. I look at it as a specific allocation of my investment dollars, kind of like a university endowment or pension fund usually does. It's not a large percentage of my assets, so if PMs don't perform I hopefully have other financial instruments or assets that can balance the negative results out. If they do perform, I may be able to boost my overall yield a bit. If they stay flat, it's a nice hedge and shtf insurance.

If anyone wants to cash out of any large silver holdings (kilos and 100oz only) and free up some cash, I would be amenable. Happy Easter.

What are some good coin and gold/silver shops in NH? There is one in Manchester, right off the highway (can't remember the name) that I stop into when passing through, but I don't really know of any others. I'm looking to find some silver bars (1oz - 100oz) and maybe some other vintage stuff more for collecting than stacking. I'm interested in cool places between Concord, NH to the Mass border. Thanks.

Just be sure to keep an inventory of all your PMs. You will need to report these as an asset if you or your spouse ever applies for Medicaid to pay for a nursing home.

are there any other untraceable assets that you should disclose at the same time?

Q from .gov: where are all those silver dollars?
A: sorry, I put them all in parking meters, toll booths and vending machines.

Don't forget CoinStar at Stop & Shop!... And keep the receipt.

images

Remember to ask the G-Man for advice on how to declare a "Loss" on your silver on the 1040...

Also, I'd like to give out a "Kudos" for one of our members who sold a healthy amount of ASE's here on NES Member Classifieds at SPOT + a buck each.
This is the way to buy and sell my friends. He probably made at least $2 (each coin) over what he would have made selling it to a big bullion house on-line, minus shipping and insurance.
The seller also saved a buck or three buying from a seller here. A true WIN:WIN

~Matt

I will certainly come here first if I need/want to sell. Sold and bought a few guns on NES already and it's been a great experience each time.

are there any other untraceable assets that you should disclose at the same time?

Q from .gov: where are all those silver dollars?
A: sorry, I put them all in parking meters, toll booths and vending machines.

I unfortunately did that for real in Cambridge, lol. Pumped 7 or 8 silver quarters into the damn meter.

My advice would be to invest in your debt. If you have ANY debt, mortgage, car loan, credit cards (God forbid), personal loans, etc., pay them off asap. Don't invest in PM's or anything else until you have ZERO debt obligations. The best way to amass wealth is to keep keep what you earn and pay as little as possible in interest. It makes little sense to make a few points on gold if you're paying 3 or 4 points on a 30 year mortgage.

I don't get that - the Fed is pissing away the value of the dollar. Why pay off a deductible mortgage with today's dollars? Buy gold/silver which has gained 7.5%/year since Nixon floated the price in 1971. Pay off the mortgage later with worthless dollars.

Buying after the price float of 1971 was like getting in on an IPO - a once if a lifetime opportunity. Later decades have not all shown a > DJIA return including dividends. I remember when Prime then EMC were the #1 gainers on the NYSE but that historical data had nothing to do with very long term price trends. Both liquidated well below their peaks and may people lost $$ on a biblical scale for these "sure things". In other words, the past history is irrelevant when predicting return over the next 10 or 20 years.

Remember too that there is no capital gains tax rate on long term gold holdings - they are taxed as collectibles at ordinary income rates, even if held for many years. Try finding a gold sales company that even mentions that.

The real value of PMs is as an asset outside of government supervision and control.

Last edited:
I don't get that - the Fed is pissing away the value of the dollar. Why pay off a deductible mortgage with today's dollars? Buy gold/silver which has gained 7.5%/year since Nixon floated the price in 1971. Pay off the mortgage later with worthless dollars.
I retired at 49 with no mortgage, no car payments, no debt of any kind. If you have a better system, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom