• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inverter question

I am looking for a 1000W 12v->120v(ish) inverter that will run during all daylight hours powered off a solar array. It needs to have a remote on-off switch controlled by an open/closed connection (not IP or digital logic). Can anyone here recommend a good model or brand? The unit I was using just had an electrolytic aneurysm and I am not going to walk the path of board level repair.

I am looking for a 1000W 12v->120v(ish) inverter that will run during all daylight hours powered off a solar array. It needs to have a remote on-off switch controlled by an open/closed connection (not IP or digital logic). Can anyone here recommend a good model or brand? The unit I was using just had an electrolytic aneurysm and I am not going to walk the path of board level repair.
There are a lot of cheap ones on Amazon, read the reviews and pick one. I bought a 600 watt I run off a 30 watt solar cell and marine battery.

Used by marine system integrator's - Victron Energy

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure inverters fall into 2 categories: modified sine wave output(cheap) and pure sine wave output(the good stuff). I've had several electronic devices refuse to work with my cheap modified sine inverters. Some AC motors won't like modified sine power too.

I'm pretty sure inverters fall into 2 categories: modified sine wave output(cheap) and pure sine wave output(the good stuff). I've had several electronic devices refuse to work with my cheap modified sine inverters. Some AC motors won't like modified sine power too.
On my whole house 8k watt, it's a modified sine wave.... fridge runs, dryer runs. Dishwasher and washing machine refuse to.

Needs pure sine wave - that's what I'm replacing, and it's used for a POE router and a bunch of connected devices.

If being able to make repairs is important there is only one (last time I checked) maker which will provide parts and that is Outback Power-every other maker-out of warranty- is a throw away.

Got a renology with a remote I can hack as needed. I needed a cheap 1000W unit - the kind you might find in a pickup truck for AC power, not something suitable for powering a house.

i have had good luck with a triplite, but a smaller unit. Not sure about the 1000W + sizes

Can the equipment be run from the DC supply?
A couple of wide input DC-DC converters might be able to give a couple of decades of life.

Pretty much anything on Amazon is going to be consumer grade intermittent duty.

Check these guys out: Power Inverters and Solar Products - The Inverter Store Besides inverters, they have solar stuff as well. They have modified as well as pure sine wave units.

I bought this from them a year or two back: 2000 WATT PURE SINE INVERTER CHARGER 12 VDC TO 120 VAC I have it charge two 65 amp hour lead acid batteries to provide backup power for a sump pump in my basement. Probably could have gotten by with a 1000W unit in hindsight, but wanted to make sure there was enough oomph to start the pump. Be aware for this unit, it does not work if the batteries are dead, i.e. you have to have functioning batteries hooked up to the unit for it to work.

required viewing

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHBw93W-XM

As in most all things mechanical; mass is your friend

Sorry but that is not an apples to apples comparison.
I'm pretty sure that the Fronius they are showing is a grid tie unit unlike their very basic and low efficiency unit.
And that "mechanical Mass" low frequency unit is going to get all kinds of F'd up as soon as you place anything other than resistive loads on it.

Can the equipment be run from the DC supply?
A couple of wide input DC-DC converters might be able to give a couple of decades of life.

Pretty much anything on Amazon is going to be consumer grade intermittent duty.
Interesting ... most but not all equipment.

The failed inverter lasted five years of 12x7 use (off after sunset) and its twin is still running. I suspected running it in a room that reaches 120degees in the summer had something to do with only getting five years out of it.

Interesting ... most but not all equipment.

The failed inverter lasted five years of 12x7 use (off after sunset) and its twin is still running. I suspected running it in a room that reaches 120degees in the summer had something to do with only getting five years out of it.
Yeah - not much consumer grade can handle that. I deal with equipment that would fit your needs but not your budget...

A small fan pulling outside air through the cabinet might be worth your effort for the 30-40 watts (running under 45c might be enough to get long life and better efficiency)

What equipment isn't DC capable out of the box?

If you can't find a switched unit then just used a contacter (big ass relay). If the contacter has hold contacts, you can have a momentary switch that latches on until night in parallel with a regular switch

Yeah - not much consumer grade can handle that. I deal with equipment that would fit your needs but not your budget...

A small fan pulling outside air through the cabinet might be worth your effort for the 30-40 watts (running under 45c might be enough to get long life and better efficiency)

What equipment isn't DC capable out of the box?

If you can't find a switched unit then just used a contacter (big ass relay). If the contacter has hold contacts, you can have a momentary switch that latches on until night in parallel with a regular switch
Besides some wall warted units of different input voltages, we also use the AC power to charge ipads and the similar stuff.

Converters for the wallwarts and multiport USB charger then use the inverter power equipment that can't easily be run off DC.
Smaller inverter only run when needed.

I am looking for a 1000W 12v->120v(ish) inverter ... The unit I was using just had an electrolytic aneurysm and I am not going to walk the path of board level repair.
Maybe @Skysoldier would tinker with the dead one at leisure,
so you get a spare.

Trouble is, you're liable to get back something with 120KV DC output.

Back
Top Bottom