Introducing The New Kel Tec KS7 Shotgun

another high quality kel tec product with a crossbolt safety that goes the wrong direction. no thank you.

You know, The KSG videos I've seen - people REALLY struggle with the pump. I'm not sure if it's OE or design. But I've used a couple different pumps with no issues. (My 870 and Win97 are far smoother than my Mossberg, but even the Mossy is smoother than the KSG.)

Any thoughts on any of that. Otherwise, it's a solution waiting for a problem to me. I've got too many "riot" configuration shotguns now. LOL.

You know, The KSG videos I've seen - people REALLY struggle with the pump. I'm not sure if it's OE or design. But I've used a couple different pumps with no issues. (My 870 and Win97 are far smoother than my Mossberg, but even the Mossy is smoother than the KSG.)

Any thoughts on any of that. Otherwise, it's a solution waiting for a problem to me. I've got too many "riot" configuration shotguns now. LOL.

If I had to guess (which I do, not having played with the KSG enough to really know), the action bars are longer than in a typical pump, due to the bull pup design, which leads to more flex, which leads to binding.

Similar, probably, to the way the 500 design tends to bind more than the 870 (500 having only a single action bar, and the 87” having two).

Yeah why do they do that with the safety, I never understood that.

I suspect keltec is trying to replicate the manipulation of thumb safety on an AR pattern rifle, such that you reach up with thumb and push crossbolt to the R to go hot. however in my head going hot means crossbolt safety to the L not R. it's the main reason i sold my KSG and won't purchase a sub 2k, aside from my lousy experience w keltec CS on my RFB.

I suspect keltec is trying to replicate the manipulation of thumb safety on an AR pattern rifle, such that you reach up with thumb and push crossbolt to the R to go hot. however in my head going hot means crossbolt safety to the L not R. it's the main reason i sold my KSG and won't purchase a sub 2k, aside from my lousy experience w keltec CS on my RFB.

Is there any particular reason why most shotguns aren’t made with an AR or AK type safety selector? Does it have something to do with the inner workings or just historically how they’ve been built?

Generally I've not had issues with either of mine. The one time I did have issues, it was due to a specific ammo type: cheapo Winchester with steel-based hulls. The steel would get stuck in the chamber after expanding, and another shooter on the line with the same ammo was having the same issue with their 870.

Is there any particular reason why most shotguns aren’t made with an AR or AK type safety selector? Does it have something to do with the inner workings or just historically how they’ve been built?

shotgun designs like an 870 or 500 would be suboptimal to incorporate an AR-like rotating thumb safety. it would be difficult to reach and occupy space inside the receiver that is necessary for the action. i'm guessing it's also cheaper/easier to incorporate the safety switch into the trigger assembly rather than elsewhere like the receiver. personally i prefer a crossbolt safety since it's so intuitive and fast to disengage. however in my head it needs to go R -> L and be disengaged by the trigger finger, not the way keltec has designed it. this is not actually a technical shortcoming per se, it's personal preference. in this case i'm assuming keltec has continued with the backwards thumb safety because they already have it for the KSG (cost saving).

shotgun designs like an 870 or 500 would be suboptimal to incorporate an AR-like rotating thumb safety. it would be difficult to reach and occupy space inside the receiver that is necessary for the action. i'm guessing it's also cheaper/easier to incorporate the safety switch into the trigger assembly rather than elsewhere like the receiver. personally i prefer a crossbolt safety since it's so intuitive and fast to disengage. however in my head it needs to go R -> L and be disengaged by the trigger finger, not the way keltec has designed it. this is not actually a technical shortcoming per se, it's personal preference. in this case i'm assuming keltec has continued with the backwards thumb safety because they already have it for the KSG (cost saving).

Thanks for the explanation. Always good to learn something here.

Apparently the handle is removable and a picatinny rail can be added. Just heard that and will edit the original post.

Roger thanks. Never understood why they called it a carrying handle, if any of us ever got caught carrying it by the “carrying handle” we would’ve got our balls kicked in by the nearest NCO. lol

Pumping them isn't bad its reloading them that REALLY sucks....

Back
Top Bottom