• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Introducing the 5 Ultimate Smith & Wesson Guns

Smith & Wesson 1911A1

The patent on John Moses Browning’s 1911 handgun design ran out long ago, and nearly all gun companies now manufacture their own versions of this iconic handgun. Smith & Wesson is no exception, producing its own S&W1911 E-Series pistols. The pistols are generally true to the final version of the 1911A1, with the exception of stainless steel barrels, skeletonized hammers, and in some cases an accessory rail for the mounting of lights and lasers. The company makes both full-size Government and smaller Commander handguns, the latter with a barrel three quarters of an inch shorter than the five-inch Government barrel and a slightly shorter slide. Commanders also feature bobtailed mainspring housings and aggressive checkering to help the shooter stay on target. The 1911 E-Series is generally true enough to form to satisfy 1911 purists.

From Introducing the 5 Ultimate Smith & Wesson Guns

I call bullshit. I own an E-Series 1911, and while I love it and it's a fantastically built 1911, it is in no way true to Saint John's design. From the full-length guide rod to the external extractor, S&W has made modifications. If you're a 1911 purist, this is not the gun you're looking for. It is a nice addition to the collection, but pretty far from true to the final version.

I have most of them but I don't like centerfire j frames. The 76 is a good one and fun to shoot though I don't shoot mine much.

None, I remember them cuddling up to bill clinton to screw everyone for government contracts in return. Yes I pride myself on holding grudges, no they will never get another penny from me.

Was that 2 or 3 owners ago. I seem to remember that this happened when they were owned by a brittish firm

Just so you know I wasn't BSing about the 3rd Gens,

3913TSW (pre rail)
CS9S
3953TSW (pre rail)

The 457 is one of the best bargains out there, if you can find one. 45ACP compact, with an alloy frame. Even though it was a "Value Line" gun, it's reliable and accurate. It looks good as well, even though the finish looks like it was applied with a Sharpie. In fact, I know a couple of people who have touched up theirs with a Sharpie.

They're out there, but they certainly aren't cheap. Pre number model guns go for a lot of money. But, I expect you know that already.

Not a fan of S&W anymore, but I sure would like to have a 6” M&P .38 in my collection. It would mate well with my Model 15.

Smith 945 Pro shop. One of the finest triggers I've shot.

And the Smith 547... 9mm revolver without moon clips. Read the history!

I agree with the Smith 41 totally.

I also have the 442, 29, 629, 686 and numerous 66's, including the 3" barrel.

My name is Rich and I'm an addict...

I'd be remiss in not mentioning the Model 10 and it's derivatives. Everyone should have at least one Model 10 in their collection. Maybe I should say one "K Frame" as any of the fixed sight versions are acceptable.

Model 41, 18, 34 (all .22s), Model 10/64 in .38, Model 27/627/28 in .357, Model 29/629 in .44, Model 1917/25/625 in .45 ACP, the original moon clip revolver.

well, I already have one of their 1911's, a 41 and an S&W 500. I think next would be the 686.....

I dunno, the M&P made the list? Top 5? I mean it is a decent firearm, but their top 5?
No recognition of the fact that they make the most powerful handgun in the world? Or the fact that it is sexy as hell?
If Ruger made the 500, it would look like... well.. a Ruger.

AND 1911's do NOT have an external extractor. AND guns should never be adorned with friggin fish scales. Who was the freakin design motard that thought that was a good idea? It troubles me deeply that at some point, there was a board meeting when that concept was introduced, and they agreed it should proceed.

I dunno, the M&P made the list? Top 5? I mean it is a decent firearm, but their top 5?
No recognition of the fact that they make the most powerful handgun in the world? Or the fact that it is sexy as hell?
If Ruger made the 500, it would look like... well.. a Ruger.

AND 1911's do NOT have an external extractor. AND guns should never be adorned with friggin fish scales. Who was the freakin design motard that thought that was a good idea? It troubles me deeply that at some point, there was a board meeting when that concept was introduced, and they agreed it should proceed.

Rugers don’t have the dumb ass scalloped fish scale design. And are better built. [rockon][banana]

There are so many great models it’s really tough to keep it to just 5. My list is what I think are the most significant/historically important and/or best selling.

19/66

No way a 1911 should be on the list. I own a S&W 1911 and it’s a great gun but they were way late to the 1911 game.

Rugers don’t have the dumb ass scalloped fish scale design. And are better built. [rockon][banana]

Actually, I have an e series 1911SC and I really like the fish scale serrations on the slide as well as the external extractor.

108483_01_lg_1.jpg

The CS1 was made for the Customs Service. It was a 3" 686 made for them. Of the 3,000 made about half were ordered destroyed by Janet Reno when the went to Sigs.

Ah, and old 686 with the recall work done for the hammer nose bushing problem with 357 ammo. Does the CS stand for Custom Shop?

They missed the 625 and/or 25-2.

Wish I bought a 547 when they were a current product.

Back
Top Bottom