Intro to shooting sports at my local club

allen-1

NES Member
Saturday we're running another "Intro to Shooting sports" semi-match at our club. The target audience is people who are interested in IDPA/USPSA but who aren't confident enough to just shoot in a "normal" match.

Here's one of the announcements about it:
7am - setup starts (arrive by 7:30 to get a discount on your match fee).
8:00am - clubhouse opens to take payments.
Match fee is $25.
8:30am - check-in starts - be sure to show your receipt.
9am - Orientation class and safety briefing.
9:30am - start shooting

We will have 5 bays set up with the same 4 "nested stages".
There will have a 30 minute orientation "Class" ahead of the match to briefly go over what we're going to be doing. Some demonstration with a laser-gun. And a brief rundown of how the scoring works.

Stage 1 - "The Draw" - this gets you used to drawing your handgun from the holster.
Stage 2 - "The Reload.
Stage 3 - "Moving" - You'll draw from the holster, shoot some targets, move to other positions and shoot some more. There will be some steel targets here.
Stage 4 - "All together now" - Each aspect of the previous 3 stages will be combined into one larger stage. You will need to draw, reload, shoot and move and shoot some more.

Intent is to have squads with 10 shooters and 5 ROs, so lots of mentoring.

Here's the best part - the cover sheet:

1595950565976.png

Cool story bro. My club has cool shit too.

Excellent, I'm happy for you.

This is only the second time we've done this. We have a lot of people in our club who shoot pistols, but who basically go to the range, set up a target at 10 feet and shoot from a bench at it. We'd like to get more of those people involved in our IDPA and USPSA matches - if they're interested.

It's been expressed to a number of the RO's that some people find starting out by shooting a match is intimidating, somewhat overwhelming. So, Joe and Mark put together a curriculum, designed a stage that can be shot four separate ways so that we can work on different components, and load the squads with a 2-1 ratio of newcomers/RO's so that there's plenty of mentoring going on.

I haven't seen this type of outreach at any of the other four clubs I shoot at regularly.

I think this is a great idea! I myself am interested in trying the sport and would be very interested in attending something like this just to get my feet wet and learn the ins and outs. Wonder how my wife would feel if I spent our anniversary in GA. [rofl]

I think this is a great idea! I myself am interested in trying the sport and would be very interested in attending something like this just to get my feet wet and learn the ins and outs. Wonder how my wife would feel if I spent our anniversary in GA. [rofl]

It's fcking HOT down here right now. I exercise in the morning, (situps/pushups/light weights), then walk about 3 miles. It was 75 degrees out there this morning, and muggy. That's first thing in the morning - it will be in the low 90's this afternoon.

Another couple of weeks - we'll see 100, maybe 110 - and it will still be muggy.

Not a place to spend the summer, let alone an anniversary. If it weren't for Covid and all the restrictions - I'd be in CT right now.

This is a great idea and when HSC and HSA do something similar they get full classes/sessions and always have a waiting list of people who want to go

It's fcking HOT down here right now. I exercise in the morning, (situps/pushups/light weights), then walk about 3 miles. It was 75 degrees out there this morning, and muggy. That's first thing in the morning - it will be in the low 90's this afternoon.

Another couple of weeks - we'll see 100, maybe 110 - and it will still be muggy.

Not a place to spend the summer, let alone an anniversary. If it weren't for Covid and all the restrictions - I'd be in CT right now.

I was gonna leave the wife here lol. Been mid to high 90s here too for last week I’ve had enough heat already for this year.

Back
Top Bottom