intrigued by certain guns

greencobra

NES Member
anyone ever lusted after a firearm they had no use for? something they wanted really bad and had no business buying cause they'd probably shoot 10 or so rounds thru it and put it away. yeah, i know, we all got a safe full of them. well mine is, and has been for a while, is one of those marlin lever 45/70 trappers. i'm not fond of stainless, needs to be the blued one with 16.10" bbl they put out some time ago.

have no clue what i'd do with it besides fondle it and blast targets, but it's so damn cool. i think so anyway.

Yup. I buy them too. Currently looking for a Savage 1907 pistol and a Charter Arms Bulldog 44. I’ll carry the bulldog but the Savage will be a safe queen.

have no clue what i'd do with it besides fondle it and blast targets, but it's so damn cool. i think so anyway.
Does it need to do more than that?

Would fondling someone else's scratch that itch for you?

I guess you could hunt T-rex with one.

(Edit: typos. So many typos)

Last edited:
anyone ever lusted after a firearm they had no use for? something they wanted really bad and had no business buying cause they'd probably shoot 10 or so rounds thru it and put it away. yeah, i know, we all got a safe full of them. well mine is, and has been for a while, is one of those marlin lever 45/70 trappers. i'm not fond of stainless, needs to be the blued one with 16.10" bbl they put out some time ago.

Barrett 50 cal

Guilty. My Marlin Dark 45/70 is still NIB, for over two years now.

I am a sucker for everything with a trigger on it, and lusted over many types of firearms since I was 15 years old.
I have also been blessed to be in a financial position to able to obtain those firearms.

Had a scoped 45/70 lever marlin many moons ago for a trip 2 Alaska back in the 80's,
Took 2 weekends to go thru 1 practice and sighting box of ammo, What a kick
Is one of those regrets selling but life gets in the way sometimes

Ive got more than a few firearms that Ive pretty much bought and immediately just put away or its been to the club once and been in the safe ever since. Theyre not particularly collectable or any kind of investment, just for whatever reason I get an itch for something and sometimes as soon as that itch is scratched, it goes away and I lose interest. Ive tried to put stuff off for a few weeks and if the desire is still there, then Ill buy it. Often times it goes away and never comes back so thats helped. I still have a problem selling stuff, even though I dont shoot them and know I likely wont any time soon, dont spend much time handling them or admiring them, etc, but for whatever reason I wanted them at the time and now I cant bring myself to sell them even though theyre doing nothing for me. Strange.

There isnt anything else in my life thats like that aside from guns. Anything else, if I dont need it, I dont buy it. If its not going to be useful to me and is just taking up space, I get rid of it one way or another.

Like 90% of the guns I own.
Except I shoot them more than 10 times.

But I do have a few I purchased and never shot, a bunch of Mausers and I still need to reload for the 357 Maximum.

If you have time, the 45/70 is an excellent cartridge to cast for. You can go with 300 grain bullets or 700 grains and everything in between. All the shapes you can think of. You can load it as a pleasant plinking rifle or a rifle that will dislocate your shoulder.

The 45/70 is an awesome cartridge to reload, and it is very easy to reload being straight walled.

It loves Black powder more than Smokeless, but if going smokeless use IMR 4198 or try 5744.

PS: Don't be afraid of black powder in a lever action. There are plenty of videos of people that shoot BP Cowboy Action showing how they clean their lever actions, it is not as hard as you might think and the gun won't rust as long as you clean it the same day.

I can send you pictures of rifles I own that only shoot BP loaded ammo and they look brand new.

And reloading BP is easier than smokeless and safer as long as the bullet is touching the powder.

Last edited:
Ruger #1, just can't decide on the cartridge although they have released it in 6.5 manbun
In my opinion there is no need for a #1 in 6.5cm.

The #1 is a 100 yard, maybe 150 heavy hitting gun. The gun you load to kill 3 polar bears next to each other.

The #1 should be in Safari rifle cartridges.

Ruger has made some sh*t desicions, like totally f*ck up their production of 480 revolvers, and mess with the #1 in heavy calibers.

CZ seems to be learning from Ruger and thinking that is a good idea.

So sad.

Edit: I could see a #1 in 6.5cm being useful in the woods of NE where you would be lucky to shoot more than 50 yards, there is something about shooting a single shot that is just so much better than "modern" rifles. But there are so many other calibers that might be better for short ranges.

Last edited:

Absolutely. On the top of my list is a FN m249s.

Crack a filling... those have a little bit of umph

Like 90% of the guns I own.
Except I shoot them more than 10 times.

But I do have a few I purchased and never shot, a bunch of Mausers and I still need to reload for the 357 Maximum.

If you have time, the 45/70 is an excellent cartridge to cast for. You can go with 300 grain bullets or 700 grains and everything in between. All the shapes you can think of. You can load it as a pleasant plinking rifle or a rifle that will dislocate your shoulder.

The 45/70 is an awesome cartridge to reload, and it is very easy to reload being straight walled.

It loves Black powder more than Smokeless, but if going smokeless use IMR 4198 or try 5744.

PS: Don't be afraid of black powder in a lever action. There are plenty of videos of people that shoot BP Cowboy Action showing how they clean their lever actions, it is not as hard as you might think and the gun won't rust as long as you clean it the same day.

I can send you pictures of rifles I own that only shoot BP loaded ammo and they look brand new.

And reloading BP is easier than smokeless and safer as long as the bullet is touching the powder.
Hows bp availability? I seem to recall a major company stopping production a ways back?

Back
Top Bottom