"Into the Wild" movie gun question (movie spoilers)

In the 1950's an indian woman in Canada killed a large griz with a bolt action .22, dropped it with one shot to the dome at close range. Many people contend that every large game animal on the planet, likely including elephants, has been killed with the humble .22 .

That being said, I wouldn't want to go into grizzly territory with even a .357 .

I hiked out to the "magic Bus" last year, it's amazing that he was less than a days hike from civilization and still died there. I carried my .44 Mag, I wasn't going to test the theory of the .22 if it came to that.

It is not....
But if you are going to write a story,tell the truth.
The climbing world crucified him about into thin air...

okay

seems like anything that goes mainstream seems to bend the truth

which is why I get all my info on NES

(sent from my tinfoil bunker)

- - - Updated - - -

I hiked out to the "magic Bus" last year, it's amazing that he was less than a days hike from civilization and still died there. I carried my .44 Mag, I wasn't going to test the theory of the .22 if it came to that.

Nice. I'm guessing it's become a popular destination?

okay

seems like anything that goes mainstream seems to bend the truth

which is why I get all my info on NES

(sent from my tinfoil bunker)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. I'm guessing it's become a popular destination?

Yes, I would imagine at least 100 people a year go, I'm not sure of the number, it's still a 2 day hike in and out though so you really want to have to go there. I couple of people have died trying to cross the rivers getting there. I think that may have been one of the reasons he stayed, he might not have wanted to go back across. We saw 2 other people when we went. The rangers make regular trips up and down the trail.

Alexander Supertarmp died of starvation because he was not properly educated in the local flora. Apparently he had been eating some vegetation he shouldn't have (it was al around the bus) and something in it stops the body from absorbing nutrients (I can't remember the plant). He was eating plenty, just getting no nutrition.

Alexander Supertramp died of stupidity. Acute.

he actually left a higher caliber rifle in his car in (arizona?) i believe before he set out for alaska.

on a side note i've got a little rant...

i love how all these ****in longhairs flock to the guy like he's some kind of hero, he was just a ****ed up kid who wanted to be left alone. Yet there they are, all these queers out making a pilgrimage to the "magic bus" in their $200 minimalist 5 toe shoes, probably drawing and hand painting up his bus with a bunch of hippie crunchy bullshit and peace signs. then you have jon krackhomo, sean penn, and eddie veddar raking in millions of dollars off his story while denouncing "society" and "greed". lmao, i love eddie veddar "yeah man, **** society, oh by the way that'll be $50 for lawn seats to my concert..." ****in spode.

I feel bad for alex, poor kid got a dealt a shit hand, if i were him i'd be pissed.

he actually left a higher caliber rifle in his car in (arizona?) i believe before he set out for alaska.

i love how all these ****in longhairs flock to the guy like he's some kind of hero, he was just a ****ed up kid who wanted to be left alone. Yet there they are, all these queers out making a pilgrimage to the "magic bus" in their $200 minimalist 5 toe shoes, probably drawing and hand painting up his bus with a bunch of hippie crunchy bullshit and peace signs. then you have jon krackhomo, sean penn, and eddie veddar raking in millions of dollars off his story while denouncing "society" and "greed". lmao, i love eddie veddar "yeah man, **** society, oh by the way that'll be $50 for lawn seats to my concert..." ****in spode.

I feel bad for alex, poor kid got a dealt a shit hand, if i were him i'd be pissed.

I agree, people shouldn't worship this kid or the bus. it's just some place to go that you might find interesting because you've read about it. and the story strikes a nerve with people because this kid went out and lived a counter-culture life, for better or worse.

and what do you think about that guy that lived with the bears in AK and got eaten by them?

[popcorn]

Last edited:

I agree, people shouldn't worship this kid or the bus. it's just some place to go that you might find interesting because you've read about it. and the story strikes a nerve with people because this kid went out and lived a counter-culture life, for better or worse.

and what do you think about that guy that lived with the bears in AK and got eaten by them?

[popcorn]

I went there because I read about and couldn't believe he was that close and still died. And yes, people are writing all kins of crap all over the bus like he was some god. As a tribute to NES I wrote on the wall on the way out the door of the bus "PSGWSP".

I went there because I read about and couldn't believe he was that close and still died. And yes, people are writing all kins of crap all over the bus like he was some god. As a tribute to NES I wrote on the wall on the way out the door of the bus "PSGWSP".

i would go and check it out definitely if i was in the area, but a lot of people make it out to be like some kind of religious pilgrimage lol. PSGWSP lol epic

- - - Updated - - -

[popcorn]

PSGWSWOTR

Another point of reference, I've heard from several people that Indian tribes in Maine will hunt moose with .22's. Once it's butchered it's like eating a cow that was shot with bird shot but it does take it down just requires many shots and good placement.

Not buying the magic .22 Moose kill shot.

Me neither. There's a theory that McCandles was likely mentally ill.

If you look at it from that angle, He could have found a partial freshish carcass and dragged it to his bus to process. He filled in the blanks, like the wonder shot and the seemingly accelerated decay. To make it make sense. Schizophrenics can do that.

I’ve read the novel and have seen the movie. In the film, everyone seems to encounter pain from their contacts with Chris. The book, though, implies that the main character is gay—which gives more reason, to me, why he leaves everyone living straight lives. Whether or not this is the reason for Chris’ alienation by society, one thing is for sure, he wants his parents to suffer while he’s out having fun. This may be motivated by his disgust for Post-Modern existence, as Emory University certainly entertained his desire for Romantic literature—Romanticism being supported by Jean-Jacques Rousseau and his Enlightenment period’s promotion that Aboriginal-Indian-Native American life could only create truly free men unfettered by societal trappings. With this philosophy juxtaposed against the mundane and petty world of his abusive parents, one can understand why Chris said to heck with everything and left.

So, how does this come to the killing of a moose?

I believe that McCandless was a delusional man before leaving on his journey, after his graduation from higher education—and it’s conditioning. I also think he was idealistic but highly naive. It is no wonder that he went after a moose with a .22lr Nylon 66. But as said before in this discussion, it seems highly unlikely that Chris had killed this beast. My guess is that he found some kind of Black-tail (mule) deer, which would’ve been easier to take with a .22, or maybe even small moose. Also, if the guy was malnourished (or eating misidentified plants) tired, and scared, he could’ve hallucinated anything...

Last edited:
The moron died of starvation, a nutritionist looked at what he ate and what he burned for calories and it almost pefectly matched his death at around 100 days if i remember correctly. Protein poisoning took in too much protien and not enough fat and carbs , you actually starve to death while feeling like your eating enough.

The moron died of starvation, a nutritionist looked at what he ate and what he burned for calories and it almost pefectly matched his death at around 100 days if i remember correctly. Protein poisoning took in too much protien and not enough fat and carbs , you actually starve to death while feeling like your eating enough.
Thats what happen to the guy on the show Alone, i think it is called.. He killed a moose with his bow, but nothing from fishing and shate for edible plants. The medics pulled him for starving to death and he was like, wtf ? i still have 250 lbs of moose meat left.

For Reference: Sister is Not Guilty...

I watched "Into the Wild" last night on DVD, which I thought was pretty entertaining. I haven't read the book but will soon.

Question 1: Is it realistic that he could kill a moose with a .22? I suppose anything is possible with proper shot placement, etc, but is it realistic?

Question 2: what gun would you take?

I think a .22 is pretty practical considering you could carry a lot of ammo.
I killed one with a truck . . .

1582833269684.png

Taken many a feral pig over 250 (some were closer to true razor backs than feral pigs) with a 22lr on Catalina Island in the 70’s. The key was taught to me by a old timer. I would set myself up camouflaged at the dump and be patient enough to wait for a shot through the ear from the side rear diagonally forward. I assume this was so effective because the bullet would enter easily but couldn’t exit. I assume it just bounced around the inside the skull since they would just stiffen up and keel over or drop instantly. Would process them in place then butcher and cook lu’au style on the beach.

Just watched the movie this past weekend.
In the movie, I believe, he misidentifies some poisonous berries/plants for edible by looking at wrong page in his book?
It's a sad story anyway you slice it....A modern day Jeremiah Johnson gone wrong. Kid was not right in the head...
And having seen 800 lb beef cows drop from a .22 in the ear, I do think he could have killed a young moose close up with shot placement.

Just read the story of Bella Twin last night - that was an old broken down single shot rifle she used. She took the grizzly down with her first shot, then stood over it loading the rifle and shooting it again and again to make sure it was dead. Apparently she had a reputation as an excellent shot - oh yeah!

Stupity is the number one cause of death worldwide.

The week before I went out there some lady from Europe drowned crossing the river. They had put a rope across the river, she fell down and held on to the rope and held herself under water rather than letting go and riding the rapids which would have been uncomfortable, but survivable. Just a week later the river was barely up to our knees where we crossed.

In the right hands, yes a 22 is a capable cartridge. If memory serves (I read the book when it was first published) Alexander had no firearm or wilderness experience before setting out into the wild.

Back
Top Bottom