Interwar Shootout III 1930's; K98k versus M1903 Springfield

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Beautiful day at the range today. 74 degrees, moderate humidity, and a good breeze; but as the range is in a hollow not much got to the shooters.

Interwar 1930's contestants:

1. 1935 Mauser Karabiner 98k 8mm ‘S/42G’ (Mauser/Obendorf) #6600c, Restored Russian capture and rework. 32 Waffenamts remain from Mauser/Obendorf. Three original matching numbers on action; barrel, receiver, and front sight. Bolt is a completely matching WaA63 Obendorf assembly (Weimar, 556k). Stock is a walnut (1936) Mauser/Obendorf, Norwegian capture stock refinished with Tung oil, and pre-war light pattern with Weimar eagles and flat butt plate. Eleven matching numbers on stock: forearm, hand guard, butt plate, upper and lower bands, floor plate, trigger guard, follower, guard screws, and bayonet lug, #965f. Reproduction sling, and original unmarked 10.5” cleaning rod. Barrel bright, with slightly rough grooves and counter-bored about 2cm, but no pitting; very good. Import marked, TGI, Knox, TN.

2. 1931 M1903 U.S. Springfield .306. Originally an unfinished 1919 Rock Island receiver, #423882. This is a post production assembly variant, as it was completed and barreled at Springfield armory (8/1931), with original finish Springfield transitional Semi-C stock, original and reproduction slings. Parkerized finish about 95% turning brown. Four well marked cartouches (AA1, AA, S, and P). Barrel bright, flawless, excellent. Non import.

I just got the Springfield back from the gunsmith. I have had it for a couple of years, but had trouble sighting it as the previous owner had peened the front sight in place and the screw was missing. I had those replaced, and with the help of another shooter and his spotter scope, I re-sighted the rifle with 15 rounds. Technical note on the S/42G; the Russians counterbored the original barrel to a depth of about 2cm.

Terms: 100 yards, seated, no rest, 20 rounds of military surplus ammo on stripper clips. American: American surplus, 10 rounds each of 1956 and 1967. German: 20 rounds of 1956 Yugo.

Picture024.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture022.jpg

S/42G bore: you can see the counter-bore line

Picture029.jpg

Springfield barrel:

Picture030.jpg

Results:

Picture019.jpg

The Mauser is the left target in both pictures. Mauser: 4-X's, 8-10's, 5-9's, 2-8's, and one miss for a score of 181. The Springfield shot 9-X's, 3-10's, 6-9's, and 2 misses for a score of 174.

The winner: S/42G by a 7 point whisker.[rofl] The Springfield had more X's: 9-4.

The rifles were very close. The '03 is such a close copy of the '98 that the Germans sued America over copyright violations; the case was dismissed after WWI. I re-sighted the Springfield. I had shot 35 rounds before I got to the Mauser and I was tired. I had a great L-R group, but couldn't hold my Kentucky elevation today. The Springfield shot a better pattern. I like the American sight better, but I felt much more comfortable holding and shooting the Mauser.

MS

Last edited:
I have not shot the Mauser before, but I must make one comment:

While the elevation needed work for that target, the windage for the 98k seems to be quite consistent (for shooting irons at 100 yards)!

Is there anything inherent in the design (specifically the sights) that might cause this?

As for the elevation, the battle sight (minimum) on the K98k is 150 meters. I believe the Wehrmact was taught to aim at the waist and the bullet would hit the chest at closer ranges. That is what gives me the trouble at 100 yards; I have to aim in the low black somewhere and have trouble picking out the same spot. Sometimes I shoot 6 o'clock low and that can work too. As for windage, the K98k front sight is a steep triangle whose lower sides fill the width of the rear sight gap. The '03 front sight is a straight blade that leaves gaps in the rear sight notch (see the second and third pictures from the bottom). To me the K98k sights fall in line better than the '03, and later K98k's with their surround front sight hoods line up even faster. This first year model does not have one. At longer ranges, the '03 rear sight flips vertical with a triangle aperature which is then easier to use than the K98k.

MS

P.S. Perhaps it is that I have shot 2,500 rounds of Mauser out of the nine pieces I have in the two year time frame versus the 300 out of the single '03 I have!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom