• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interview Process

Does anybody have anything to share about interviews? Tips, tricks, general info or any formalities we should know before going in..

From George Carlin:

Let recruiters know you consider partying to be a career of its own.
Tell them you’d like an office right by the front door so you can get out at 5 o’clock in a big, big hurry.
Ask politely about their attitude toward Monday and Friday absenteeism.
Let them know you’d like to start next month but would like to be paid immediately.

I've been recently on the other side of the table (conducting the interview) and aside from being yourself, it definitely does help when people research the company and know about it. This shows initiative. Also it's good to ask questions during the interview or at the end of it. Take some spare copies of your resume in case others join. I'm old school and believe a suit should be worn. This doesn't make or break but definitely leaves a good first impression.

Have answers prepared for just about any question that they may ask and have them well thought out and written down.
Have a list of at least ten legit questions that you want answered.
Know what you are interviewing for, why you want it, why are a better choice than ANYONE else, and have that written down, point by point per the job desc.
Bring all of your notes to the interview and use them.
Take notes during the interview: You should be writing your thank you notes (not literally) while in the interviews because you should be paying that much attention.

Be smarter, happier, and work harder, not just compared to the other guy, but EVERY OTHER GUY OR GIRL: You get no points for second place.

A suit is NOT optional unless you are interviewing for a blue collar job. If you are a "millennial", drop the entitled bullshit: Everybody else hates it and thinks you won't work hard if they give you the job. Top to bottom. I work for a 65,000 person company and heard my CEO call Millennials entitled and he wasn't saying it in a nice way.

Last edited:
Dont hesitate one single millisecond when asked to fire up your Facebook account for the interviewer to peruse. That being said, be smart enough to have squared your FB away well before the interview.
If you are a vet, remember, that youre not the only one that knows how to read a DD214. Dont tell me you were a .50 cal gunner but when i toss you a headspace and timing gauge (i have one on my desk) youve never seen one before in your life.

And Bigblue is correct. Wear a suit each and every single time you go in, even if its just to sign a list. The first thing my deputy chief asks me after I conduct an interview of a potential candidate is what he/she was wearing.

Last edited:
Just was selected out of 68 applicants and interviews to fill a town position so I have a bit of current insight.
This may sound like common sense but check your resume for spelling and grammar, I am going back to work tomorrow after being self employed for ten years. I have interviewed many who could not take the time to check the basics.
Eye contact, firm hand shake...no, it is not old fashioned and is still a big deal.
Be prepared to both answer and give good questions. Don't make any of those questions about pay other than a scale for the position if not already advertised. I was asked to describe at least one major weakness and a way you can overcome that weekness if hired.
Depending on the position, suit and tie for professional, at a minimum, even if you are applying for a porta potty cleaner position, it shows that you have enough self respect and will go a long way.
Be yourself and be open. Sit at the table, sit up straight, arms out and open and no fiddling around.
Honesty is paramount. If you think there is something they will find out about that could affect you being hired at all, get out ahead of it.
Call any personal and professional references the day before your interview to give them a heads up that they may be receiving that phone call and from who and probably the # they more than likely would be calling from.(some people do not answer random calls they do not recognize on caller I.d.)
This is just some of the basics but probably the most commonly missed.
Good luck!!

always have a good answer for the whats your biggest weakness question. I usually go with the I sometimes find it hard to turn off the work mode at the end of the day and spend my off time thinking about the job and ways to improve or solve current problems. or I sometimes find myself micromanaging instead of allowing my employees to take full control of their positions.

OTOH, my last interview was me and the owners drinking sake in a bar, so ...

always have a good answer for the whats your biggest weakness question. I usually go with the I sometimes find it hard to turn off the work mode at the end of the day and spend my off time thinking about the job and ways to improve or solve current problems. or I sometimes find myself micromanaging instead of allowing my employees to take full control of their positions.
Is it even possible to have a good non-scripted answer for the "biggest weakness" question?

I've been recently on the other side of the table (conducting the interview) and aside from being yourself, it definitely does help when people research the company and know about it. This shows initiative. Also it's good to ask questions during the interview or at the end of it. Take some spare copies of your resume in case others join. I'm old school and believe a suit should be worn. This doesn't make or break but definitely leaves a good first impression.
I agree, it's important to have some idea of the history and reputation of the company in advance. At the end of the interview, when asked if you have any questions, try to ask one smart question that shows you've been paying attention, but not anything that sounds forced or makes you seem like a slacker, like "How soon do vacation days accrue?" (real example).

One thing I learned from working with 3rd party recruiters is to make a tailored cover/summary for my resume highlighting experience and skills that specifically match the requirements listed for the job posting or otherwise apply to the job in question, and if your home printer sucks, put in the effort to get your resume copies printed on a real printer with real quality paper.

I add a unique URL to the cover page (and any email correspondence) that links to my resume -- I can tell by the traffic logs whether they follow the link, forward my info elsewhere, etc. And most people are just going to throw away a printed copy, but will keep email around forever and might pass it along to another firm that has an opening that is a good fit.

Dont hesitate one single millisecond when asked to fire up your Facebook account for the interviewer to peruse. That being said, be smart enough to have squared your FB away well before the interview.
. . .
And Bigblue is correct. Wear a suit each and every single time you go in, even if its just to sign a list. The first thing my deputy chief asks me after I conduct an interview of a potential candidate is what he/she was wearing.
Really, Facebook? Unless you work in Marketing, what relevance does FB have to potential job performance? I work in a specialized subset of IT; if HR or worse, a real interviewer asked about Facebook, I'd cross that employer off my list -- Most of the best people in my field do not maintain an active Facebook account.

I suppose it's different in Law Enforcement, but in IT, wearing a suit for interviews is optional, maybe even deprecated. The basic of "dress one step nicer than that client" applies, so in my field, "dressy" business casual is perfectly appropriate for interviews.

There's a saying in IT -- if you walk through the work area and see a cubicle farm covered in Dilbert comics, consider walking away from the opportunity. If you don't see any Dilbert comics at all, absolutely walk away (and if you see a plush PHB hanging from a necktie noose, you're working at my former employer, and have my condolences).

Is there an equivalent litmus test for LEO?

Last edited:
You'll see all kinds of interview processes. If a company has a weak process for screening people you probably don't want to work there since they probably arn't staffed with above average people.

I used to hire engineers in the Silicon Valley area. I would start by describing the position, then I would let them ask questions. If they didn't have any questions it was a red flag. Know what you want and don't want in a job and ask about it.
Research the company and if possible find out about their competitiona and the general market they are in.

Here's some of my questions.
* What's the biggest contribution you made at your last job?
* For you, what's the most important aspect of a job (what do you want in a job)?
* What's your greatest strength?
* What's your biggest weakness? (I wouldn't take answers that are actually bragging.)
* Why this company? What attracts you to this company?
* Take a few minutes to tell me a story about a really tough situation you were in and how you handled it.

Then I would start grilling them on technical questions.

Expect them to research you on the web. Years ago it would have helped me when I hired a nut-job who presented quite well in person. Later when I found his web site I understood why I was having problems with him at work.

Have references lined up ahead of time. These should be people you've worked with and can vouch for your job performance. If a company doesn't ask for references to talk to that's a red flag about their screening process.

Last edited:
I've interviewed candidates at work, the biggest turn off is awkward silence. Sometimes well stop talking just to see if the candidate will start the conversation up again. After 60 seconds of silence we thank them for their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it even pissuessible to have a good non-scripted it conswer for the "biggest weakness" question?

I agree, it's important to have some idea of the history and reputation of the company in advance. At the end of the interview, when asked if you have any questions, try to ask one smart question that shows you've been paying attention, but not anything that sounds forced or makes you seem like a slacker, like "How soon do vacation days accrue?" (real example).

One thing I learned from working with 3rd party recruiters is to make a tailored cover/summary for my resume highlighting experience and skills that specifically match the requirements listed for the job posting or otherwise apply to the job in question, and if your home printer sucks, put in the effort to get your resume copies printed on a real printer with real quality paper.

I add a unique URL to the cover page (and any email correspondence) that links to my resume -- I can tell by the traffic logs whether they follow the link, forward my info elsewhere, etc. And most people are just going to throw away a printed copy, but will keep email around forever and might pass it along to another firm that has an opening that is a good fit.

Really, Facebook? Unless you work in Marketing, what relevance does FB have to potential job performance? I work in a specialized subset of IT; if HR or worse, a real interviewer asked about Facebook, I'd cross that employer off my list -- Most of the best people in my field do not maintain an active Facebook account.

I suppose it's different in Law Enforcement, but in IT, wearing a suit for interviews is optional, maybe even deprecated. The basic of "dress one step nicer than that client" applies, so in my field, "dressy" business casual is perfectly appropriate for interviews.

There's a saying in IT -- if you walk through the work area and see a cubicle farm covered in Dilbert comics, consider walking away from the opportunity. If you don't see any Dilbert comics at all, absolutely walk away (and if you see a plush PHB hanging from a necktie noose, you're working at my former employer, and have my condolences).

Is there an equivalent litmus test for LEO?

Intersting question on the litmus test. Unfortunately, Forrest Gump has it correct, but instead of life, candidates for LEO are an absolute box of chocolates. Occasionally we get to put our thumbs into one or two before they are hired, find out theyre filled with that nasty pink/orange stuff, and dont hire them. Some of the worst guys on my job interviewed well with the brass, but failed miserably when we put them thru the real interview. Its unfortunate that my office doesnt get to pick the new hires lol.

And yes, FB. LEOs have a big enough issue already shooting ourselves Iin the foot (or hand tee hee hee), pictures of guys doing kegstands and giving people the finger only make it worse.

Intersting question on the litmus test. Unfortunately, Forrest Gump has it correct, but instead of life, candidates for LEO are an absolute box of chocolates. Occasionally we get to put our thumbs into one or two before they are hired, find out theyre filled with that nasty pink/orange stuff, and dont hire them. Some of the worst guys on my job interviewed well with the brass, but failed miserably when we put them thru the real interview. Its unfortunate that my office doesnt get to pick the new hires lol.

And yes, FB. LEOs have a big enough issue already shooting ourselves Iin the foot (or hand tee hee hee), pictures of guys doing kegstands and giving people the finger only make it worse.

Some towns were smart enough to create Aux/Special/Reserve depts. so that they could see/test candidates and use that to screen for good candidates. I don't know what happened (or when) in your town but your prior chief made me promise NOT to ever bring up the subject with him! I believe your program was dismantled prior to his taking the chief's job.

In LE, I'm not sure that you can really know what you are getting until they get out there on their own and start performing without supervision! The results aren't always very pretty!!

Really, Facebook? Unless you work in Marketing, what relevance does FB have to potential job performance?
For one, it's a great way to find personal references other than the ones an applicant listed in his background investigation packet. Social media presence (not limited to just FB) is becoming a very big deal for LE.

Two suggestions comments missed...

1) turn OFF your darn cell phone!

Want to leave an impression and blow your interview have your phone ring tone blare out something stupid and you have to stop and answer the phone!

Think about some of the stupid ring tones that you have heard

2) Set up a "professional" email address for yourself..... your name related in some manner for résumé purposes.

Having " king-wang-stud @ or hot-to-trot-mama @ ... as your email address may not not be the image you want to leave with a prospective employer or have as part of your contact address on your resume!

Last edited:
We are interested in finding out info on what a MA LTC-A interview is like. We live in Dennis, MA, have taken our safety course, completed the application and have been fingerprinted and had our photos taken. We are now waiting to get contacted for our interviews. Any info and advice is appreciated.

We are interested in finding out info on what a MA LTC-A interview is like. We live in Dennis, MA, have taken our safety course, completed the application and have been fingerprinted and had our photos taken. We are now waiting to get contacted for our interviews. Any info and advice is appreciated.

Are you royalty accustomed to using the Royal we or are you part of a couple who has applied at the same time?

Looks like Dennis, MA is pretty F$%#ed up in their recognition of one's rights and the law in regards to license applications.

They include 2 letters of reference but also this is on their site
There is no grace period for expired licenses!

They also make you drop off your app, get picture and prints done and THEN you get an interview. What a bunch of BS.

There is plenty more wrong on their "info page"

http://www.town.dennis.ma.us/Pages/DennisMA_police/firearms

This is in the LEO section because I was asking about interviews for LEO Careers. Not interviews in general and not about LTC interviews

At my previous job we interviewed a lot of people. No LEO positions but I think the #1 piece of advise is leave your phone in the car. Anyone whose phone went of on an interview I was conducting was done as far as I was concerned. Shows a lack of common sense.

Looks like Dennis, MA is pretty F$%#ed up in their recognition of one's rights and the law in regards to license applications.

They also make you drop off your app, get picture and prints done and THEN you get an interview. What a bunch of BS.

Hi,

Thanks for the informative response and your welcoming confidence!

My wife & I are applying for our ALP MA LTC-A in Dennis but are nervous about our new police chief's position on the Second Amendment for his town. He has been here for 30 years and he is well liked, awarded and respected, former Lt. and graduate of the FBI's National Academy. I have all the respect for his career but we are just nervous about our (hopefully-I've already done a 'Cory' on myself so I know I am spotless) upcoming interview for our LTC-A licenses. We have no doubts about the responsibilities of the CCW and we are NRA, G.O.A.L. and are new subscribers of a few Pro-Gun forums so we are constantly & intensely studying the Law for MA and the U.S. as we look to do some traveling as we enter our retirement years. We are also looking into insurances that should be considered if we have CCW legally nation-wide.

Any recommendations would be graciously accepted..

-Michael & Diane from liberal Cape Cod!

..side comment about your (PennyPincher) profile photo open carry choice: Do you have to worry about over-penetration for home defense or what? [rofl]

I've already done a 'Cory' on myself so I know I am spotless

I'm a little concerned by that statement. I didn't run a CORI on myself because I knew I was spotless. Is there something you though may show up? If so, there's a good chance it will show up on the MIRCS check but not on a CORI.

I'm a little concerned by that statement. I didn't run a CORI on myself because I knew I was spotless. Is there something you though may show up? If so, there's a good chance it will show up on the MIRCS check but not on a CORI.

I'm with you. Never did and wouldn't run one on myself. I know that the only reason I've ever been near a jail cell is because I was in LE and for no other reason.

Michael,

According to the new law passed last year, if you get a restricted LTC they are supposed to put it in writing as to why they restricted YOU. (If I'm wrong someone will correct me). If they restrict you, you may want to contact Comm2A about your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, a CORI is not what the police will run on you. They will run a BOP and a BOP is not a CORI. You'd be wasting your time and I don't see the point. If you were a juvenile offender it will show up on your BOP.

Back
Top Bottom