• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

interstateTransport of Primers

Ok folks I'm in a free state down south. I'm driving backto the Peoples Republic in a week. I'm going to shoot some IDPA/ISPCA matchesdown here and pick up some ammo. I reload and was thinking about picking upsome SP primers. Any restrictions on transport in my car (they will be in alock box). State laws apply? How about federal? am I covered by the federal (FIPOA Ithink it’s called) gun and ammo transport.

BTW the boys down here love hearing about Mass gun restriction laws, they just shaketheir heads and mutter gdam communists. Also even though I'm from the north I could not be more welcome at the gun clubs down here.[smile]

I don't think FOPA discusses primers. At all. Various states may have various retarded laws, but I would bet that WRT primers specifically, none of them are retarded as mass is (ammunition components) and you already have the license here so you don't have much to worry about.

Not sure what ****ed up laws possibly maybe exist in NJ and NY (both states have laws so oppressive now they're mind numbing, in some cases more than MA is) but my procedure for those two states has always been "fly low and avoid the radar, drive on through without stopping, these arent the droids you're looking for" if I have anything gun related with me. The rest of the states I guarantee will not care regardless.

-Mike

"No officer, you don't have permission to search my trunk."

From Jesse Cohen's web site:
13.11: Small Arms Ammunition and Primers, Smokeless Propellants, and Black Powder
(1) Basic Requirements.
(a) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the transportation and storage of small arms
ammunition, primers and components, smokeless propellants and black powder.
(b) In addition to all other applicable requirements of 527 CMR 13.00, intrastate
transportation of small arms ammunition small arms primers, smokeless propellants,
and black powder shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous
Materials Regulations.
(c) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the channels of distribution of and to the users of
small arms ammunition small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder.
(d) 527 CMR 13.11 shall not apply to in-process storage and interplant transportation during manufacture.
(2) Small Arms ammunition.
a) No restrictions shall be imposed on the interstate transportation of small arms ammunition other than
those imposed by the U.S. Department of Transportation or by other hazardous materials regulations.
(3) Small Arms ammunition Primers.
(a) Small arms ammunition primers shall be transported, kept, or stored in containers approved by the
U.S. Department of Transportation.
(b) Transportation of small arms ammunition primers shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation
Regulations.
(c)
No more than 5,000 small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in
private vehicle.

(d) No more than 5,000 small arms primers shall be stored in residences.

"No officer, you don't have permission to search my trunk."

(b) Transportation of small arms ammunition primers shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation
Regulations.
(c)
No more than 5,000 small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in
private vehicle.
(d) No more than 5,000 small arms primers shall be stored in residences.

thanks is this a state citation of federal regulation?
also the primers are here at less than 40 a 1000 maybe able to get 3000 at $35 a box,

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have some secret source of primers down south, or are they generally available there?

From what I have heard they are becoming generally available, not sure of the prices I have'nt gone shopping yet

thanks is this a state citation of federal regulation?
also the primers are here at less than 40 a 1000 maybe able to get 3000 at $35 a box,

MA state reg. I assume NY would have something even more draconian.
It would be worth stocking up at $35. Some dealers are rationing at $50 if they have any.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
LGS's down here in central NC have plenty of reloading supplies, primers are in the 35-40 range/1000 and several stores have 748, 335, Varget and pistol powders are plentiful. Problem still seems to be getting bullets.
I've been a brass monkey for years, so I've got a plenty. Fortunately, right before this crapstorm hit, I reloaded on enough projectiles for a small army.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom