Interstate Trustee

jron

NES Member
So I had a thought,

I have an NFA Trust through @RockMaple set up here in MA. I know it is legal to have trustees in another state on the trust, and you can temporarily transport them. I know you must fill out 5320.20 in order to transport firearms across state lines.

Since MA wont allow "assault" pistols you can not get your hands on a pistol you'd like in order to for Form 1 it into an SBR.

My question is.... Could a trustee in NH file for a Form 1 to build a pistol into an SBR, and then after that SBR could permanently then reside in MA? With proper paperwork of course.

I'm guessing you're talking about an AR platform? Before I dive into this, IANAL.

First, on a 4473 a lower is not designated as a rifle/pistol (or it shouldn't be). It can be built into whatever configuration you chose.
Second, the location that is filed on a form 1 is the location where the NFA item will be BUILT, not where it's going to be stored. If I live in Portsmouth, NH, but the NFA item is being built at my brothers house in Nashua, I should be putting Nashua on the form 1 technically speaking.
Third, the TRUST is the entity manufacturing the form 1 item, not the settlor/trustees/successors/etc. However, settlor/trustees have to fill out a 5320.23. I'm not sure how the ATF will view a settlor living in MA or if they recognize the AG's "ban".

With that being said, I HIGHLY recommend you consulting with a knowledgeable NFA lawyer.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're talking about an AR platform? Before I dive into this, IANAL.

First, on a 4473 a lower is not designated as a rifle/pistol (or it shouldn't be). It can be built into whatever configuration you chose.
Second, the location that is filed on a form 1 is the location where the NFA item will be BUILT, not where it's going to be stored. If I live in Portsmouth, NH, but the NFA item is being built at my brothers house in Nashua, I should be putting Nashua on the form 1 technically speaking.
Third, the TRUST is the entity manufacturing the form 1 item, not the settlor/trustees/successors/etc. However, settlor/trustees have to fill out a 5320.23. I'm not sure how the ATF will view a settlor living in MA or if they recognize the AG's "ban".

With that being said, I HIGHLY recommend you consulting with a knowledgeable NFA lawyer.

I am familiar with the process I already have an AR SBR. Thats easy to do in Mass. It would be built in NH and engraved on where it was built. And at some point make its way to my home in MA with the proper 5320.23 form filled out to hopefully the items new permeant address. The engraving is just for where the rife was built, not where it has to stay. I had my AR SBR approved after the AG "ban".

I specifically was looking into guns that are only manufactured as pistols due to BS importation laws.

I'd love an MP5k clone, however they are all pistols which are a no go in MA off the shelf.

I figured I would toss it out as a feeler question, When then time comes I will reach out to Rock Maple, I set up a trust with him and it was super easy and he was well informed.

Back
Top Bottom