Interstate Shipment of 1850's Target Pistol

Disclaimer: I know we've discussed this in the context of carrying a BP pistol, and I do understand that an internet forum is not the place for final legal advice.

Is this considered a firearm by either MA or federal law, or is it just a hunk of (beautiful) metal and wood that someone could pack in a box and send to a MA resident from out of state?

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/a-rare-collette-patent-gravity-fed-breech-loading-68-c-6ece6751f7

lot0500-0.jpg

I've been out of MA for a few years now but unless the laws have changed possession without a FID / LTC is OK but required for powder & ball.

No carry without unrestricted LTC IIRC.

Nice pistol too. [thumbsup]

_________________ETA______________

Auction says sold. Hope you got it.

Last edited:
I've been out of MA for a few years now but unless the laws have changed possession without a FID / LTC is OK but required for powder & ball.

No carry without unrestricted LTC IIRC.

Nice pistol too. [thumbsup]

Thanks for your response, Twigg!

I'm pretty comfortable with the inside-MA side of this, since MGL ch. 140 sec. 121 states unequivocally: "The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:
(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;"

I'm a little less clear on the federal and interstate side of this. Wondering would it even need to be registered in a C&R FFL holder's bound book?

It is NOT considered a "gun" by either the Feds or MA. Shipping interstate is AOK by any means (including USPO last I knew, but verify by reading the USMail Regs), by ground even by UPS or FedEx (no need to declare as a "gun").

Court case reversed the prior decision that Mr. Twigg referred to. NO LTC required.

No, it does NOT involve the C&R FFL and no entry in the BB.

Beautiful antique!

It is NOT considered a "gun" by either the Feds or MA. Shipping interstate is AOK by any means (including USPO last I knew, but verify by reading the USMail Regs), by ground even by UPS or FedEx (no need to declare as a "gun").

Court case reversed the prior decision that Mr. Twigg referred to. NO LTC required.

No, it does NOT involve the C&R FFL and no entry in the BB.

Beautiful antique!

Thanks, Len! Expect to see this CCW'd at our next NE Steak & Seafood gathering (like Jim's Sharpe's pistol) ;-)

OP:

Please post your target pix!

Happy to if someone can work me up some ammo! LOL

Back
Top Bottom