• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting twist on a drive by shooting

"Drive-by bullet hits man in his suburban living room"

A 31-year-old man watching television in his Norton home was shot in the leg last night in an apparent drive-by shooting, police said.

Howard Trent said he was lying on his couch when a bullet came through the wall and hit his thigh shortly after 9 p.m.

“At first I thought the remote control battery blew up. Because when it happened all I saw was like a flash, a puff of smoke. I wasn’t sure what was going on,” Trent said. “I felt a quick sharp sting and I looked over and there was a hole in the wall. I kept thinking, ‘It can’t be, it can’t be.’ Then I looked at my leg.”

Trent’s parents, who are in their late 50s, were sitting nearby on recliners.

After the gunshot, the family found several bullet fragments on the floor and examined the welt on Trent’s leg. But it wasn’t until police arrived that they discovered the open wound where the bullet entered.

“A State Police officer noticed blood on my boxers … I rolled them up and there was a hole a half an inch wide where you could see into my leg,” Trent said. “The welt was where the bullet stopped on the other side.”

Trent said he was lucky because the bullet entered his thigh about 10 inches below his hip and missed hitting the bone.

“If I had leaned forward I probably would’ve gotten it in the chest or the head,” he said.

Doctors at Rhode Island Hospital treated the wound but left the bullet in Trent’s leg.

“They said to keep it in there for a couple days and let the tissue heal around it,” he said. “Actually, I have two pieces of bullet in my leg right now.”

Trent said two neighbors on their front porch last night saw a dark sports utility vehicle slow in front of his house, fire a gun shot, and then speed off.

Investigators also believe it was a drive-by shooting from an SUV, but are seeking leads from the public, said Norton Police Lieutenant Tom Petersen.

“We have very limited information,” said Peterson, noting that it was the first shooting in Norton in almost two years.

“Nothing like this ever happens around here,” said Shawn Clinkscales, 29, Trent’s neighbor on Evergreen Road. “It’s a good neighborhood, a good town.”

The shooting occurred across Norton Reservoir from the Tournament Players Club of Boston, an award-winning golf course that hosts the annual Deutsche Bank Championship, a prominent PGA Tour event.

Trent said he is baffled by the shooting.

“It’s been bothering me all day. It makes absolutely no sense. I have no enemies; all my friends are good people. I can’t put two and two together,” he said. “It’s a nice family-oriented neighborhood. You’d never expect something like this around here, not in a million years.”

All I can picture is the shock on the mans face when the doctors say "we should leave that in there for a while"

My father was shot in the leg while walking around Chinatown in Canada when I was younger back then...he said he didn't even know he was shot until my mother saw blood on his pants. I guess its not un-common for ppl not knowing it when they get shot immediately.
Poor dad had to walk on crutches for a few months.

Derrick,
Your Dad was shot in Canada? That has to be a lie! With the laws being as strict as they are in Canada there is nooooooo way for criminals to get a gun because carrying is strictly prohibited! Yeah... laws stop criminals about as good as cotton stops a bullet...

Surprise!!!

From the Taunton PD arrest log Sept 8, 2009:
Taunton —TUESDAY
Howard Trent, 31, of 50 Evergreen Road, Norton, was arrested and charged with Class B drug distribution and driving with a revoked license during a 10:35 a.m. traffic stop at the intersection of Crossman and Highland streets.

Maybe Howard talks too much?

The neighborhood members seem to have forgotten about the Norwood Police Officer that was shot and killed on Evergreen Road a few years back. Oh yeah, now I remember, they called that one a suicide, had nothing to do with the girl with the automatic screaming at him just before the shooting. That was before Lt Peterson was on the force.

Last edited:
So our friendly neighborhood cocaine dealer gets shot, and the newspapers start a pity party...riiiiight.

Call me dense, but the guy was shot because of his drug connections or something?

I'm curious how a single shot (if that's what it was) managed to hit him in his house. One shot at a house has relatively low odds of actually hitting the one person who may be there, unless he happened to be visible through the window. Lucky shot?

If that happened to me, I'd be scared that the police would automatically confiscate every gun I have, just because the incident involved a bullet. This is, after all, MA.

Call me dense, but the guy was shot because of his drug connections or something?

I'm curious how a single shot (if that's what it was) managed to hit him in his house. One shot at a house has relatively low odds of actually hitting the one person who may be there, unless he happened to be visible through the window. Lucky shot?

If that happened to me, I'd be scared that the police would automatically confiscate every gun I have, just because the incident involved a bullet. This is, after all, MA.

stupid gangbangers like to pull drive by's. I'm guessing it was intended to be intimidation and ended up being a lucky shot.

Once again the Norton Housing Project A.K.A. The Grove, lives up to its reputation. Not only is the place loaded with undesirables but lots of children too- sad.

Back
Top Bottom