• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting time at my bench.

wiskie762

Instructor
I was loading up some .357 mag and after the 5th or 6th round I started getting some resistance from my full lenth sizing die. so I stoped and pulled the die out then found this

Mistake.jpg

A .22 lr case stuck on my decapping pin. This is even more reason for noobs to pay attention when reloading.

Um.... here's a tip for you!

Turn the cases over, and look at the head stamp every time you put one in the die.

That will do three things for you:

1) Any .22 brass that's in there will fall out, eliminating the problem at hand.

2) Any stones/pebbles that might also be in there will also fall out, eliminating an even bigger problem with your die life.

3) You'll get to double check for brass that your process doesn't like. I cull some brass out of the mix.

Sure, it takes an extra minute or two total time for a batch, but one errant stone in your die will slow you down more than you want to deal with!

I had that happen once with a .32 ACP case inside a .45 ACP that got wedged in with tumbler media. You're lucky. I broke a decapping pin.

ive done that on my 650! although i knew i did it as soon as it happened.

something something thunk, thunk, thunk, CRUNCH. uh oh.

the decapping pins on the dillon sizing dies are spring loaded, and from what ive noticed, are VERY forgiving when it comes to puncturing .22lr cases.

I had it happen this weekend with a 32 H&R mag in a 45 C case - it was a little difficult to correct (Dillon sizing die).
I ended up screwing the die into a single stage press, using a sharp pry bar to catch the rim of the case and unscrewed the die so that it pulled the case off. With a number of attempts it pulled free.

I had it happen this weekend with a 32 H&R mag in a 45 C case - it was a little difficult to correct (Dillon sizing die).
I ended up screwing the die into a single stage press, using a sharp pry bar to catch the rim of the case and unscrewed the die so that it pulled the case off. With a number of attempts it pulled free.

I try to get a pair of vice grips on mine if they are sticking out far enough. If not, I cut them out in the lathe!

Had the same experience on my 650 with a 7.65mm case (32 acp I think) when I was loading 9mm.
The decapping pin was bent. Not to mention a total PITA to pull the case off.
The best way to straighten it out is to put it in a lathe chuck or a bridgeport spindle, apply a dial indicator to the pin, roll it back and forth & bend or tap the pin until straight.

While brass-ratting at the NorthEast Bloggershoot yesterday, picked up a piece of .45 brass... with a piece of 9mm inside it... with a piece of .25ACP in it!

DSC02264.jpg

Yes, if you focus it just right, and squint through what looks like a primer (but in actuality is an expensive optics system), you can see the flea on the 600 yard target. It also doubles as a bore scope.

While brass-ratting at the NorthEast Bloggershoot yesterday, picked up a piece of .45 brass... with a piece of 9mm inside it... with a piece of .25ACP in it!

DSC02264.jpg

How does it happen. when i sort 9mm before tumbling, let one 40sw get buy and it promptly will wedge itself around a 9mm case.

Back
Top Bottom