Interesting Springfield 1903A3-'04' sniper rifle, appears correct and unfired. Has 'Redfield Jr' scope base, but no scope or rings

Started sourcing period correct optics. Since this rifle appears to never seen service or the range, because no optics or iron sights, I was was told he put it in a safe and never shot. No reason to doubt him. In the past I've built a faux '04' with an Unertil scope. I see by the serial # it's a 3rd production run with a nearly end of run SSN. Any advice....Thanks RtempImageSqbtMp.pngat

It's possible that this was a 'lunch-box special' or 'VIP special' as the only markings on the '03' stock is a faint FJA on the left side, The rest proofs out as authentic, so my best guess is it was built by Remington on 12/43 among the last 200 1903-04's built but never issued. I went out to buy a M1 Carbine and saw a mint Garand and the 1903-04 in his back seat. The Garand was sold, so I bought the M1 carbine....and was asked if I wanted to but a Springfield 1903 bolt action w/no scope.
^This. way too shiny.

Is there a P on the underside of the barrel by the muzzle?
yes

It's possible that this was a 'lunch-box special' or 'VIP special' as the only markings on the '03' stock is a faint FJA on the left side, The rest proofs out as authentic, so my best guess is it was built by Remington on 12/43 among the last 200 1903-04's built but never issued. I went out to buy a M1 Carbine and saw a mint Garand and the 1903-04 in his back seat. The Garand was sold, so I bought the M1 carbine....and was asked if I wanted to but a Springfield 1903 bolt action w/no scope.

yes

It could be someone polished it after leaving the military. Can you post some pics of the stock and the cartouches? Should be an FJA, RA and Ordnance escutcheon on the left wrist.

Yeah someone definitely prettied her up after her time in the service. The stock has a polish of some sort on it. Definitely an A4 rollmark though so you have the real deal!

The Leatherman repro scope that CMP and a few others sell is really nice. Same specs as the original but modern coated optics inside so its WAY brighter than the original.

Started sourcing period correct optics. Since this rifle appears to never seen service or the range, because no optics or iron sights, I was was told he put it in a safe and never shot. No reason to doubt him. In the past I've built a faux '04' with an Unertil scope. I see by the serial # it's a 3rd production run with a nearly end of run SSN. Any advice....Thanks RView attachment 513540at
From my short look into A4s
Barrel and recievers parked small parts can be blue or parked.
C-Stock
A 1903a4 that was not sent through a rebuild at some point? Pretty rare I think?

From my short look into A4s
Barrel and recievers parked small parts can be blue or parked.
C-Stock
A 1903a4 that was not sent through a rebuild at some point? Pretty rare I think?

Not necessarily C-stock. There were plenty that were made with scant stocks. Some were also fitted with Lyman Alaskans or M84 scopes.

There may be a4s that weren't rebuilt, but I would bet NONE were unissued. Considering they had WW2, Korea, & Vietnam in which they could have been deployed.

I joined 'CMP North' today and bought a repo new Lyman Alaskan scope w/mount, period correct.

I was a member of the M1 Carbine Club for years but never joined CMP. Lot of cool stuff....Now for my C&R

Join the CMP forum and send a PM to John Beard and ask him to evaluate your rifle. He's an expert and will be able to tell you all kinds of things if you provide good pictures.

Join the CMP forum and send a PM to John Beard and ask him to evaluate your rifle. He's an expert and will be able to tell you all kinds of things if you provide good pictures.
Mr. Beard is THE living encyclopedia on Garands, 03's, and 03A3's / 4's. He will usually make as accurate of an assessment as can be made. Others on the forum might have some info to pin down the circumstances of this rifle's build.

Springfield Research Service might be able to ID the A4 or perhaps ID if the serial was in a block of receivers used to build 04's. If there is something special about the rifle it would probably be worth having the documentation. I have the SRS letter for my 03 National Match plus a copy of the original invoice.

If the FJA cartouche is too crisp, that can be an indication of an A4-gery. Since in your case it's light, you are likely to get a response that the stock was sanded at some point. That's not a super big deal- my NM was probably lightly sanded at some point. Regardless of the feedback you receive, that's an awesome looking sniper.

Oh, one more thing- A4's were built without iron sights thus lacking them doesn't mean the rifle hasn't seen use.

The not necessarily C-stock. There were plenty that were made with scant stocks. Some were also fitted with Lyman Alaskans or M84 scopes.

There may be a4s that weren't rebuilt, but I would bet NONE were unissued. Considering they had WW2, Korea, & Vietnam in which they could have been deployed.
I’m going with never issued, as it’s one of the last 130 built at Remington. The bolt is blued and there’s circular scratches from being in a safe for 30 years and not lubed probably. I cleaned the barrel today and the bore is pristine. Another odd thing looking at the ordinance bomb near the front sight is a hardness peen and the divot has a dot of red paint…First photo I posted.

Also quite odd the stock lacks most 04 ordinance stamps on the stock, but the metal parts have all the correct inspector stamps….and distinguishing 04 features.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom