• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

interesting read on our "gun valley"

Still, for as much work as he does with the gun industry, he has his personal no-go lines. He recently turned down a million-dollar job to supply parts for a military-style assault rifle. “When I hear about something like Newtown,” he says, “I don’t want to have to rush to find out if it was something I had a hand in making. And I don’t think that’s ever going to happen making mostly bolt-action hunting rifles.”

Meh..[rolleyes]

Honestly this makes me shake my head at Savage. At least most of my friends at Smith and Wesson actually own the products they make.

“I don’t want to have to rush to find out if it was something I had a hand in making. And I don’t think that’s ever going to happen making mostly bolt-action hunting rifles.”
Guess he'd better hope that nobody buying one of those nice, accurate, precise, scoped bolt-action hunting rifles doesn't get pushed over the edge by a political grab for those eeeeevil black rifles. I hear they work just fine for throwing lead where you want it.

Since the story presented the issue of the economics of the industry in "Gun Valley, " the author should have mentioned the economic harm that CT will now suffer by driving Colt and others out of their state. Remember, there is a cascading effect of the loss in those communities as local suppliers are directly impacted by the departure as well as ancillary beneficiaries such as restaurants and other service providers.

Hopefully these firearms manufacturers move to a gun friendly State. Springfield Mayor Sarno was sitting near us at a recent Falcons hockey game and I was tempted to give him a piece of my mind. He actually came up to my GF and said Happy Easter. I knew I would be in deep doo doo if I confronted him on his anti-gun opinions.

I've been going back and forth with Neil via e-mail today, here's my first to him which kicked off our discussion.

Hi Neil,

Just read your “Gun Valley” bit, nice piece.

It sounds like you got your number from John Rosenthal in terms of the “gun violence” cost – 31K number.

Thought you might like a breakdown on that.

It’s actually under 31K, he rounded up.

Of that 30K, 19K are suicides, 2.2K are justifiable homicides including shootings by all law enforcement, the remaining 8.8K are homicides.

What’s really interesting, and what Rosenthal neglects to tell people is this, Americans, per person own way more guns than any other country, more than double what the second place country owns.

Despite this massive gun-owner populations we rank way down in 28th worldwide for gun related homicides, we’re not nearly as violent as those who push for control would have you believe.

Also, the homicide # in the U.S. is grossly skewed by inner city violence, if you take those numbers out and look at suburban America we average about the same as most European countries.

If you want links to any of my stated data I will be glad to provide.

Best,

Mike Sweeney
GOAL Communications Manager

Dating Issues (not of the lowered expectations or farmers only variety)

I'm so confused how am I reading an article that was posted on April 14, 2013 and yet we are only on April 12, 2013?

Further muddying and making my head hurt is the url posted below has a date of 2013/04/13 meaning tomorrows date. Is this pre-reporting a future experiment into pre-crime?
//www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2013/04/13/greetings-from-new-england-gun-valley/bnluvQAU7sgWyhe4x8FVgP/story.

I think this was a great article. Below is the text of the e-mail I sent to the Globe Reporter.

"What a great article on "Gun Valley"! Nuanced and an excellent job on presenting the human element. You made it clear that these manufacturing jobs are unique in Massachusetts at a time when those types of jobs are declining overall. Finally, your treatment of several of these individuals as 21st Century Craftsmen is much appreciated. Thanks for a reminder of the power of great journalism."

Back
Top Bottom