Interesting range brass pickup

Recently while sorting some range brass I ran across the following:

9to40.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy macro photo. It is a 9mm case that looks like it was fired from a 40 S&W chamber. The 9mm case had expanded to about .426 and is split. I wonder if the person who shot it was even aware what he did.

The head is also interesting:

9to40h.jpg

What? You can't fireform 9mm into .40? Since when?

And methinks someone needs to check their firing pin [whateverthehellthewordis]. Or stop playing with pin punches at the range.

ETA: What the hell is the word for how far the firing pin sticks out? I just can't seem to think of what it is.

Last edited:
but you can fire 7.62x39 out of a 7.62x54R because they are both Russian calibers the 7.62x51 will also work but it isn't good because you shouldn't mix nato and russian

[disclaimer the above is not true and said only in jest, always use the proper ammo for your weapon]

but you can fire 7.62x39 out of a 7.62x54R because they are both Russian calibers the 7.62x51 will also work but it isn't good because you shouldn't mix nato and russian

[disclaimer the above is not true and said only in jest, always use the proper ammo for your weapon]

Where did we see that?

That looks like a fairly normal Glock striker hit.

Hmm. I'll have to check next time I go to the range. I've never noticed that.

just discussed this last night at my rod an gun club
one of the members had a 9mm glock and a 40 glock
9mm was loaded into a 40 mag and fired in the 40.
he new something was wrong right away.
he learned not to have both guns out at the same time.

One of my not so proud moments was when I fired a .40 out of a .45. To make it worse, I did it twice in the same day.

One of my not so proud moments was when I fired a .40 out of a .45. To make it worse, I did it twice in the same day.
A few years back, I took my fullsize Kimber and Delta Elite to the range. Both are stainless with black grips and both are basically 1911s.

I had both guns out on the bench. I shot up all my 45 ACP. Then I loaded a 10mm magazine, picked up a stainless 1911 with black grips, inserted the magazine, and then charged the chamber. Fortunately, I had the barrel pointing slightly downwards, so when the slide closed, the 10mm round being "chambered" slid all the way out the 45 ACP barrel and dropped at my feet. Being as quick-whitted as I am, I immediately grasped that something was amiss and that it was best that I stopped to take stock of the situation. Sure enough, I'd picked up the wrong stainless 1911 with black grips.

I'm now a bit more careful about not having multiple guns and ammo of different calibers out at the same time.

just discussed this last night at my rod an gun club
one of the members had a 9mm glock and a 40 glock
9mm was loaded into a 40 mag and fired in the 40.
he new something was wrong right away.
he learned not to have both guns out at the same time.

He needs to color code his mags or number the sides of them if they are that similar.

Ruger P series mags and CZ mags look identical except for a small step in the floor plate of the CZ mag. Being able to feel that in darkness is the only way you'd know which is which.

Recently while sorting some range brass I ran across the following:

9to40.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy macro photo. It is a 9mm case that looks like it was fired from a 40 S&W chamber. The 9mm case had expanded to about .426 and is split. I wonder if the person who shot it was even aware what he did.

The head is also interesting:

9to40h.jpg

I saw some similar bulging on a Glock .40 that was running a conversion barrel to 9mm, but I didn't see any splits.

I was shooting my Mosin and my Mauser one day and accidentally loaded 8mm ball in the Mosin. Fortunately I noticed that the bolt felt funny.

That has to be the most retarded document I've read all week. Apparently I can't shoot .30 carbine out of my .223 AR, but I should have no problem shooting a .460 Weatherby magnum. [thinking]
Yeah, SAAMI sure is a bunch of dopes. *shrug*
SAAMI is basing the document on the possible ranges of diameter of chamber and brass that can set up a situation where a round can be set off unsafely. The .30 will enter the .223 chamber and could be set off by the firing pin. The .460 can't even start to enter the chamber.

You also didn't read the part that says:
Due to the availability of many different shapes and sizes of ammunition and firearms, there
are countless unsafe ammunition-firearm combinations such that a comprehensive list of unsafe
combinations is neither feasible, nor practicable. Below is a list of some unsafe combinations that
are well known because of somewhat similar chamber and ammunition dimensions.

Some of these combinations they tell you not to use are not even possible to screw up.

A .40 S&W will not even come close to chambering in a 9mm Para, nor will .45 ACP or .45 Win Mag chamber in a .45 GAP.

Don't know about the .45 GAP, but are you sure some moron can't jam a .40S&W in a 9mm revolver's chamber?

Let's face it, some of those are real stretches, but SAMMI's got (as they say) an infinite range of dumb chamberings to choose from. These are based on either measurement-based "bad ideas" or actual kabooms they've had reported.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom