• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting range brass pickup

One of my not so proud moments was when I fired a .40 out of a .45. To make it worse, I did it twice in the same day.

Don't feel too bad, you're not alone. A few months back I was at the range with my son. We had a bunch of handguns with us, as did a couple of guys next to us on the line. We got to talking and trying each others guns. He expressed an interest in one of my 1911's, so I offered to let him try it. He said he had his own ammo, and he did...the problem was, it was .40 S&W. [laugh] I knew something was up when the slide failed to eject the case or chamber the next round. The base of the .40 case looked perfectly normal, except the top half of the case had been fireformed to .45 size. It looked even odder than the picture in the OP.

I should have kept that case as a souvenir and a reminder.

Yeah, SAAMI sure is a bunch of dopes. *shrug*
SAAMI is basing the document on the possible ranges of diameter of chamber and brass that can set up a situation where a round can be set off unsafely. The .30 will enter the .223 chamber and could be set off by the firing pin. The .460 can't even start to enter the chamber.

You also didn't read the part that says:

So someone dumb enough to try to fire a .30 carbine out of an AR is going to be smart enough to look up this failboat document? What about the 17-223? or the .220 Swift or whatever? Trying to chamber .40S&W in a 9mm is bad but a 9x23 or 10mm should be OK because it's not on the list? Really?

Seriously this document is a kaboom waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom