• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting Observation over the Weekend.

I quickly wrote about it in my blog here: http://americanlights.org/main/?p=185

But I'll recap it here since it REALLY does fit this place perfectly:

I was shooting my 45 last Saturday at the Manchester (NH) Firing Line Range, as I do every weekend. I was finished and walking out, and this girl walked in. Young girl, early 20's. Of course we all take notice right?

Anyhow, she was looking to buy and learn how to use a gun. It was a birthday present from her Grandfather. He told her to get a J-Frame S&W, or something similiar. Mike, who was helping her behind the counter, explained about the NRA courses, etc, and how she could take one and rent a gun there, etc etc.

Then it came up that she was from Mass.

Well, the room got silent.

Here is this girl, looking to buy a gun for self protection (think she lived alone, and why the grandfather was worried about her), and then we had to break the news to her. I've learned alot... mostly from hanging around here about what needs to be done. So I spoke up.

She was going to come back and take the course still, and was going to look into getting her LTC so she could own one, as the FID and a rifle didn't really interest her.

All I could think of this the horror stories I've heard... and I really did feel bad for her.

Sure, she'll probably get her license in the end, but think of all the red tape and flaming hoops (as I like to think of them), that she needs to jump through.

Anyhow, no point to the story, just something that came up, and made me think of everyone here.

Carter

I hope she doesn't get discouraged, and drop the issue of owning a gun.

It's a sad, sad day, when a woman who wants the ability to protect herself, and has made the responsible choice of becoming a gun owner, will have to leave herself open, and unprotected for at least the next 4 months to complete the process...

Very sad...

Adam

Carter,

In a case like that (if it happens again [wink] ), refer them to this forum.

Regardless of where they live in MA, we probably have folks here who will provide help and coaching on what will fit her needs, point her to trainers to get the cert she'll need for a LTC, what BS needs to be done to get a LTC, show her around a suitable club, etc. If she wants to deal only with other women, I think that some of the ladies on this forum would be more than willing to help her out as well.

With all the hoops we have to jump through and BS we have to go through, they are not insurmountable and the end result is worth it. The worst thing anyone can do is paint a picture of total gloom and doom.

Well, to put a good note on this thread...

Monday night, we had one of the young ladies who has been a regular in the Junior Rifle program became a full member of the club. Young and female, two very uncommon traits these days.

I hope that it is a new trend.

Anyhow, no point to the story, just something that came up, and made me think of everyone here.

Actually there is a good lesson to be learned here. It is a good idea for those of us who are really interested in seeing the growth of shooting sports and legal and safe firearms ownership should be conversant with the licensing and training requirements in our own and neighboring states in order to speak up in these situations. Being a good ambassador for shooting can pay many dividends later on.

Good on you for speaking up.

senorFrog said:
Did you get some digits?

Not sure if the wife would appreciate it :)

Got her some good info, and said "good luck" and went on my way. She said she was coming back up to take the course, so everything is at least ending up a step in the right direction.

All you have to do is look at the total number of LTC and FIDs in the state to see what a lot of people are doing when faced with all the hoops to jump through....that being "not bother with the guns".

Sad really.

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
All you have to do is look at the total number of LTC and FIDs in the state to see what a lot of people are doing when faced with all the hoops to jump through....that being "not bother with the guns".

Sad really.

-Weer'd Beard

Sorry, I disagree.

A LOT of them didn't bother to deal with getting their licenses renewed! They still have the guns. In the case of LEOs (who never needed a permit to possess guns prior to 1998), when they retired many still had guns but no permit and no desire to get one. [HR218 is inoperative in MA for retirees, so leave that out of your equation.]

I have met people in both of these categories . . . a number of people in each category!

LenS said:
Weer'd Beard said:

Sad really.

-Weer'd Beard

Sorry, I disagree.

A LOT of them didn't bother to deal with getting their licenses renewed! They still have the guns. In the case of LEOs (who never needed a permit to possess guns prior to 1998), when they retired many still had guns but no permit and no desire to get one. [HR218 is inoperative in MA for retirees, so leave that out of your equation.]

I have met people in both of these categories . . . a number of people in each category!

Never thought of it that way. Yeah most of the people who are without LTC/FID are young-shooters thinking about getting thier first gun....and some would rather not bother with the hoops.

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom