• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting, new SAW variant?

Mike S

NES Member
This is from a photo essay taken by a photog from The Atlantic, last week in Afghanistan.

Can't say I've ever seen this variant of what appears to be a SAW. Anyone?

296314_169519549791663_100002008561983_352878_995391_n.jpg

its the paratrooper version. been around for a while.

its like a much shorter barrel with a M4 stock.

M249 Para The M249 Para is a compact version of the gun with a shorter barrel and sliding aluminum buttstock, so called because of its intended use by airborne troops. It is much shorter and considerably lighter than the regular M249 at 893 mm (35 in) long and 7.1 kg (16 lb) in weight.[30] The Army's Rapid Fielding Initiative is in the process of replacing the original collapsible buttstock with an adjustable model based loosely on the design of the M4 carbine buttstock.

its the paratrooper version. been around for a while.

Sure has, and it's great doing room clearing with it.... [wink]

Saw a hadji stop dead in his tracks one day in Iraq in 04 when we entered the room,,, after he was eye thumped and was being searched they found that he shit himself before he expired... I wonder if it was the sight of the SAW.

I know I would shit my pants if somebody walked in on me with one....[shocked]

This is a "para m249," and the only difference would be the butt-stock and a rail system if they decided to put one on:

fn_minimi_para.jpg

OP's pic is just a m249 with an adjustable butt-stock which is issued to anybody. There is no other variant of a m249 that has any drastic differences other than the mk46, or m249 SPW which are nearly identical anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom