• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting Mythbusters on Thanksgiving

I saw an episode of Mythbusters on Thanksgiving that surprised me. The myth was of a story where one sniper shot another sniper through the others scope - with the shot going straight through the scope and through the snipers eye.

They lined up 2 sniper rifles and started at 100 yds - tried it 3-4 times and none of the rounds made it through the scope (new scope each time). The last one they fired from near point blank range - the round was still stopped by the lenses of the scope. The ballistic jelly dummy never was hit.

I believe they revisited this one in a later episode and were able to reproduce the results. Something about the positions of the scopes being slightly different, so they wouldn't line up right.

Unfortunately I missed some of the setup so I didn't hear what round, but by observing the bore etc I would say it was a 30 caliber - probably 308. The rifles and scopes were modern weapons/optics - which I thought might have had something to do with it (scope construction etc). The scopes looked to have 40-50 mm objectives. It was quite amazing to see the glass from the lens turn to powder and pour out of the tube. The last shot from point blank range actually tore the scope off the rifle and tossed it 15-20 ft. Still the rear lens was intact, and the round caught in the tube (didn't deflect out the side of the tube....)

No Myth.
Carlos Hathcock USMC Sniper extrodinaire! Lots of good reading available about him.
from Wilkipedia...
"One of Hathcock's most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through his scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him.[2] Hathcock and John Roland Burke, his spotter, were stalking the enemy sniper in the jungle near Hill 55, the firebase Hathcock was operating from. The sniper had already killed several Marines and was believed to have been sent specifically to kill Hathcock.[9] When Hathcock saw a flash of light (light reflecting off the enemy sniper's scope) in the bushes,[2] he fired at it, shooting through the scope and killing the sniper.[5] Surveying the situation, Hathcock concluded that the only feasible way he could have put the bullet straight down the enemy's scope and through his eye would have been if both snipers were zeroing in on each other at the same time and Hathcock fired first, which gave him only a few seconds to act.[9] Given the flight time of rounds at long ranges, both snipers could easily have killed one another.[8] The enemy rifle was recovered and the incident is documented by a photograph."

I think part of the problem with the original myth test was that they couldn't get the shot lined up quite right, the bullet would pass through the first lens and then out the top of the scope. They did some more research for the retake and got rifles and scopes that were closer to what were used in the myth.

Ah, deflection of the round, wasn't thinking of that. Anyhow, wouldn't military snipers still be using FMJ, and did Mythbusters use FMJ also? I presume AP is "amour piercing", and would thus act more like FMJ ini this case.

Pilgrim is right; the revisit took note of the fact that older scopes (like the one from the myth) use fewer glass elements. This seemingly small difference was the reason they were able to replicate the results of the myth once they switched to the correct scope.

Pilgrim is right; the revisit took note of the fact that older scopes (like the one from the myth) use fewer glass elements. This seemingly small difference was the reason they were able to replicate the results of the myth once they switched to the correct scope.

And IIRC they weren't using military ammo either.

So your saying this AP ammo pierces the heart of your love ?

Or maybe that AP riounds are more like FMJ than actual FMJ rounds themselves ?

Main Entry: amour
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈmu̇r, ä-, a-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, love, affection, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan amor, from Latin, from amare to love
Date: 14th century
: a usually illicit love affair; also : lover

Ah, deflection of the round, wasn't thinking of that. Anyhow, wouldn't military snipers still be using FMJ, and did Mythbusters use FMJ also? I presume AP is "amour piercing", and would thus act more like FMJ ini this case.

Back
Top Bottom