Interesting firearms related bill (MA)

I was searching through the MA General Court website and happened upon this piece of proposed legislation...

HOUSE .......No. 966

By Mr. LeDuc of Marlborough (by request), petition of Tony
Licardi for legislation to exempt persons denied a firearms identifica-tion
card from jury duty. The Judiciary.
In the Year Two Thousand and Five.

AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE DENIAL OF A FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General
Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary.
Any individual denied a firearm identification card shall be
exempt from performing jury duty until such time as said firearm
identification card is granted.

Makes perfect sense to me. If a person can't be trusted to own a firearm, why should they be trusted to serve on a jury?

Only complaint I have is that LTC denials should be included also.

Of course it will never pass (it's highly unlikely it would even be allowed to be debated).

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht00/ht00966.htm

I wonder what his rational[e] for proposing this bill was?

Note that this bill was filed last year. Not exactly "breaking news."

This buffoon was in the local news briefly when the bill was first filed. He was denied a license, hence the rationale for the bill. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
I wonder what his rational for proposing this bill was?

I'm guessing the petitioner (Tony Licardi), was denied an FID, was called for jury duty, was a bit miffed about the situation and arrived at the same reasoning in my original post.

Note that this cretinous bill was filed last year. Not exactly "breaking news."

This buffoon was in the news when the bill was first filed. He was denied a license, hence the rationale for the bill. [rolleyes]

Who said it was "breaking news"?

It's still on the docket as far as I'm aware.

What a waste of time. [frown] But thats Mass for 'ya.

Also fairly old news, but check this out. You're going to love this one:

Massachusetts senator wants Fluff banned from school lunches

Massachusetts senator wants Fluff banned from school lunches

June 19, 2006

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. --A state senator is taking aim at a childhood food staple: Fluff.

Sen. Jarrett Barrios was so outraged his son Nathaniel, a third-grader, was given a peanut butter and Fluff sandwich at the King Open School in Cambridge, he said he plans to file legislation to outlaw the marshmallow spread in school lunch programs.

"A Fluff sandwich as the main course of a nutritious lunch just doesn't fly in 2006," Barrios said. "It seems a little silly to have an amendment on Fluff, but it's called for by the silliness of schools offering this as a healthy alternative in the first place."

Barrios said he will offer an amendment to a junk-food bill that would severely limit the serving in schools of marshmallow spreads such as Marshmallow Fluff, concocted by a Massachusetts man before World War I and which still is made by a family owned business in Lynn.

Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter sandwiches -- known as Fluffernutters -- have long been a favorite of New England kids.

"I've been eating Fluff nearly my entire life," said Don Durkee, 80, whose family started the company that makes Fluff in 1920. "The irony of this is Marshmallow Fluff happened to be invented in Somerville, Barrios's home district."

Folks should understand that any Massachusetts legislator (State Senator or Member of the House of Representatives) will file any bill requested by any constituent. This doesn't mean that he will support it. In general, if a member files a bill on request that he wants to go nowhere, it will be legended "By Mr. xxx, on request."

Folks should understand that any Massachusetts legislator (State Senator or Member of the House of Representatives) will file any bill requested by any constituent. This doesn't mean that he will support it. In general, if a member files a bill on request that he wants to go nowhere, it will be legended "By Mr. xxx, on request."

Precisely. This bill was DOA. [wink]

Nice point RKG (With backup by Scrivener). You beat me to it. There have been some really ridiculous proposals to amend the State Electrical and Building Codes as well as proposals to modify the State Licensure procedure. Call your rep and ask and they are required to file a bill. Go figure. What surprises me is why more people do not call to ask for bills condemning the AG's consumer protection laws?

Chris

I believe GOAL's friends have sponsored legislation to change
the Consumer Protection Regs. Its in S.2318 and S.212,
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st00/st00212.htm .

Nice point RKG (With backup by Scrivener). You beat me to it. There have been some really ridiculous proposals to amend the State Electrical and Building Codes as well as proposals to modify the State Licensure procedure. Call your rep and ask and they are required to file a bill. Go figure. What surprises me is why more people do not call to ask for bills condemning the AG's consumer protection laws?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom