• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting find at the Old Medford Armory

doctorbossman

NES Member
I made in interesting discovery the other day at work.
Earlier this month our practice expanded into another office in Medford. Turns out the building was the old Medford Armory.

20150813_074634.jpg 92-High-St--Medford.jpg

Initially I took the elevator from the basement parking level to our 3rd floor office. It's a nicely renovated interior. This past week I decided to stop being a lazy a** and walked up the stairs. And this is what I found in the stairwell...
20150813_074726.jpg

It looks like it's Corporal Perry Schofield's world record target from 1910. He hit 116 consecutive bull's eyes at 500 yards. The previous record was 60 consecutive. I counted 114 holes (2 were apparently "sighters"). The Target B bull's eye is 20" across. He used a Springfield 1903.

I think that's pretty impressive. Battle rifle with open sights (I'm assuming) consistently doing 4 MOA. There aren't many things that I can do 116 times consecutively with that much precision.

I found details from the following book...
The A B C of Rifle, Revolver and Pistol Shooting. (see page 175-6)
https://books.google.com/books?id=5...utive bull's eye&pg=PA175#v=onepage&q&f=false

20150813_074737.jpg 20150813_074753.jpg

All armories used to have a rifle range in the basement next to the quartermaster and armorer's area. When I was in the Charlestown Battalion Armory a few years ago there still were War Department papers from 1912 scattered around the old radio room. Didn't walk through the range because I assumed it was never properly decontaminated.
Charlestown_Armory_basement.jpg

Last edited:
Some [personal] history of the Medford Armory:

The building was donated by Samuel Crocker Lawrence (as was the hospital, which is why Lawrence Memorial Hosptal is in Medford), with the stipulation that the building be given to the Masons (Lawrence was a 33rd Degree Mason), should the Guard leave.

In the late 70's/ early 80's the Guard vacated, and the building became Masonic Apartments, housing the Samule Crocker Lawrence Lodge, a Royal Arch chapter, Eastern Star, and likely others. My dad, who was retired, became the caretaker, part time (He was a Mason, and an SCL Lodge member). I'd help him with stuff occasionally, and ask him questions about the various Masonic (and related) items. Most, he'd not answer, as I was not a Brother. [laugh]

When the Masons decided that it was a White Elephant, and moved out, a lot of stuff was trashed [sad]. Still, I managed to salvage some stuff, including the American Flag that hung over the main entrance. I still fly it, when appropriate.

I'd like to say that I remember the target being in the main foyer, though I may be wrong. It's possible that the target was in its current location - I remember it, and my dad talking about it, but the location did not register as strongly as the artifact.

One of the lower hallways was used as an informal range (my dad was a Medford native, and was in the State Guard before the War, at that armory).

Way cool building. The windows on the ground floor in the towers were "normal" double-hung windows....but the glass and sashes were curved [shocked]. The interior doors were oak, and probably about 2" thick. I don't know what changed have been made, but that's what I remember.

I'm glad that at least part of the Military history of the building is still there.

ETA:

Looking again at the picture in the OP, I'm pretty sure that that is not the original location of the target.

Last edited:
Actually, one of the things rescued was a poster on "Care of Magazines" - no the little ones that fit in the grip, but the rooms for ammo/powder storage.

I should see about getting it reproduced, and sell them.....

[laugh] (Kinda.....thinking now....... [wink])

In!

That's friggin awesome. Daughter's doctor's office is in that building and I never noticed it in the hundred or so times I was there over the years. Great find!
(PS: just be careful outside on High Street - where Detective Lebert likes to play sheriff after he's had a bad ice cube or two... [emoji6] )

All armories used to have a rifle range in the basement next to the quartermaster and armorer's area. When I was in the Charlestown Battalion Armory a few years ago there still were War Department papers from 1912 scattered around the old radio room. Didn't walk through the range because I assumed it was never properly decontaminated.
View attachment 144108
The last of the indoor ranges in mass national guard armories were removed back in 2013. They mostly had sand floors and the backstops were never cleaned back in the day. Lead contamination was a problem.....I remember in the late 1990s most of the armories has the ranges "taped off" with do not enter signs before they finally got around to removing the lead and cleaning them out .

Some of the older armories are still being used. The one in Hingham mass is original and is considered a historic landmark. I was company commander of the unit there for 2 years.....the commander and 1sg offices have fire places in them!!!!!! Cool old buildings.

Back
Top Bottom