Interesting Facebook update I just saw....

George D

NES Member
"So as my husband put the shotgun in our SUV (going to see if he can sell it to the hunting store) I told him he should have put it out of sight...in case a car or truck going by sees it and thinks we are getting ready to rob a bank or something...he said don't worry about it...so we went to deliver wood...then off to the bank...then we went to Dunkin'...as we sat in the parking lot drinking our DD 2 state police K-9 Units showed up with 2 state cruisers...and you can only imagine how I spent my afternoon!!!!!!"

I am sure he had innocent intentions, but I am guessing he is about to take it up the gas pipe. State Police generally don't mess around.

In MA, she came back and updated it. The police were there for something else altogether and didn't notice the shotgun sitting in the car they parked next to, they got very lucky.

if it was a non-hicap capable shotgun, thinking over/under, then it can be unloaded and sitting on your backseat and be perfectly legal. I think LenS will confirm this. If they saw it though you'd still be in for one hell of an afternoon!

if it was a non-hicap capable shotgun, thinking over/under, then it can be unloaded and sitting on your backseat and be perfectly legal. I think LenS will confirm this. If they saw it though you'd still be in for one hell of an afternoon!

I believe that to be true according to the MA Wildlife page, but I wouldn't want to be the test subject according to the last line.

"Transporting Guns in Motor Vehicles
CLASS “A" LTC: Allows the holder to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under their direct control. Handgun does not have to be in a locked case or container.

CLASS “B" LTC: Allows the holder to transport a non-large capacity handgun. Handgun must be unloaded and secured in a locked trunk or locked container.

LARGE-CAPACITY RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS: No person possessing a large-capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class “A" or Class “B" permit shall possess said rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle unless unloaded and contained within a locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container.

NOTE: All rifles and shotguns must be unloaded when in or on a motor vehicle, but only large-capacity rifles and shotguns are subject to the storage requirement. This also applies to Muzzleloading or other Black Powder arms."

So if your 10/22 is on the backseat, you are an evil doer, but if its an M1 Garand, Mosin Nagant, or an 8mm Mauser, no problems!

So - One could theoretically legally ride with an 870 in a rifle rack of their pick'em up truck here in the PRM ?

Realizing of course - that after the town , county & State Police finished chewing on your ass that the local CoP would be waiting at your house to pull your permit to pretend the 2nd Amendment exists here.

nevermind ...

I was talking with a guy at an NRA class I took recently and he was bragging about riding around with a shotgun on his back seet "because he can". [rolleyes]

So if your 10/22 is on the backseat, you are an evil doer, but if its an M1 Garand, Mosin Nagant, or an 8mm Mauser, no problems!

I thought the 10/22 was explicitly exempt from the high capacity roster, no?

Also, in some parts of the state, this really isn't much of a big deal, esp around shotgun deer season.

LARGE-CAPACITY RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS: No person possessing a large-capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class “A" or Class “B" permit shall possess said rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle unless unloaded and contained within a locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container.

So a "large-capacity rifle or shotgun" needs to be in a locked case or container whilst in a motor vehicle? A trigger lock isn't enough?

if it was a non-hicap capable shotgun, thinking over/under, then it can be unloaded and sitting on your backseat and be perfectly legal.

True, though it is generally accepted that if one exits the vehicle, the provisions of MGL 140-131L apply, requiring it to be properly secured.

A 10/22 is a non-large capacity rifle.

So a "large-capacity rifle or shotgun" needs to be in a locked case or container whilst in a motor vehicle? A trigger lock isn't enough?

Correct. Large capacity long-guns must be unloaded and "...contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container." (MGL 140-131C)

True, though it is generally accepted that if one exits the vehicle, the provisions of MGL 140-131L apply, requiring it to be properly secured.

A 10/22 is a non-large capacity rifle.

Even if it has high cap pre-ban mags? Did not know that.

Is an AR non-hi cap if the owner only has 10rd mags? I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times before, but while we're on the subject...

Careful about the transportation requirements and "motor vehicle" IIRC, the law now is that on a an ATV, while hunting (which can be very broadly interpreted in the PRM) long arms must be in an enclosed container (new this year). The MassWildlife course material s specify (or did in the spring) a scabbard as the best "case" for an ATV, but that's no longer legal.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Last edited:
I've said this before, but my FID toting son at age 17 could drive around with our bolt action .50 BMG or Remington 700 in .308 in the backseat, but could not possess a pellet rifle.

Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom