• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting eyewear for bi-focal shooters

Something like this has been around for a long time. I can't remember what they were called but it was something like mechanics glasses. Anyway they are glasses made for people who work at jobs where they would be looking up on a regular basis.

Its a good idea for target or competition shooters. Defensive shooters should practice with what they wear on the street, not specialty guns and glasses, etc.

Older airline pilots wear them too. All them small switches and stuff overhead. Can't do a backflip to see them with regular bifocals or progressives.

I sent them a email ...... see if they can do a older set of Randolph Ranger XLs.

been back and forth with them through emails I cant seem to get a straight answer. for starters so far they say they cant do +.50 ? +.75 will work for me at under 200 yards but I really need something for 200+

Older airline pilots wear them too. All them small switches and stuff overhead. Can't do a backflip to see them with regular bifocals or progressives.
I know an airplane mechanic that has tri-focals. Normal in the middle and close-up high and low so he can work close-up over head and down low. OTOH, I've seen guys turn their bifocals upside down to work overhead.

Yep! Dad was a TWA pilot (remember that airline?) and had a couple pairs made just like these. To this company's credit, they do say that it's not a new concept but they are rebooting it for shooting. Great idea.

I may need something like this in a few years, but for now I get a nice crisp sight pic + bullseye with a Gehmann eyeglass iris. I can crank it down to a pretty small diameter and still see well. That tiny peep on a 1903 flip-up sight works for me too. Someday maybe not...

Yep! Dad was a TWA pilot (remember that airline?) and had a couple pairs made just like these. To this company's credit, they do say that it's not a new concept but they are rebooting it for shooting. Great idea.

I may need something like this in a few years, but for now I get a nice crisp sight pic + bullseye with a Gehmann eyeglass iris. I can crank it down to a pretty small diameter and still see well. That tiny peep on a 1903 flip-up sight works for me too. Someday maybe not...

for me it started with seeing cobwebs or dust through the rear aperture or even a small grey dot right in the middle. larger aperture worked for a while.

been back and forth with them through emails I cant seem to get a straight answer. for starters so far they say they cant do +.50 ? +.75 will work for me at under 200 yards but I really need something for 200+

A competent Optician should be able to set you up. That or ask your eye doc. As long as the bifocal is laid out correctly the lab can make it. For them its all offsets from the pupal.

A competent Optician should be able to set you up. That or ask your eye doc. As long as the bifocal is laid out correctly the lab can make it. For them its all offsets from the pupal.

I have the Rx down its the position of the corrective on the lens that's getting me.
When I shoot service rifle my eye looks through the upper inside corner of the lens.
I'm not looking straight ahead and only need the correction for one eye.
If anything I need my shooting Rx on the left lens and my regular + 1.5 on the right to see my log book.
It appears they can not get the Rx on the lens anywhere they choose.
I will await tacticalRx response then if things can't be done I will buy knoblochs or champion olympics

Last edited:
This is called an occupational bifocal. They have been around for many years mostly used by plumbers, electricians etc. anyone who needs to work overhead regularly. Not a new concept at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is called an occupational bifocal. They have been around for many years mostly used by plumbers, electricians etc. anyone who needs to work overhead regularly. Not a new concept at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The concept is nothing new but the aplication is a bit different.
The ocupational lens set up is intended for both eyes open looking for the most part straight ahead at a certain point.
My Rx for day to day use is +1.50 fine for reading , finding wires under a dash board and basic day to day .
Shooting on the other hand puts my eye in a completely different position and I also need a different Rx. If I shoot with +1.50 the front sight is like looking at a telephone pole clear and crisp. Although looking down range it's now blurred and will give me a headache.
Try looking down range at 600 yards with a +1.50 will make me almost sea sick.
Now if I use a +.25 corrective lense in my NM AR rear aperture insert. I can see the post clearly and my eyes do not fatigue as much this works great for 600 yards. For 200 yards and closer a +.50 is much more focused but I get that headache at 200 plus yards.
It's a balancing act. Shooting pistol at 50 yards or less I can get buy with my normal Rx.
The iris you can stick to your glasses works ok for me with a notch and post sight set up but I find it not working so much with the aperture style rear sight.

Last edited:
Im finding it very hard to deal with TaticalRx
Brent has asked me to call several times I call he is either not there or busy. I tried dealing with the person on the phone. Theey sent me a email with instructions on how to mark but did not include a "template" ? The email responses have been un clear. I would rather just have people say no they cant do X. Maybe Monday they will answer my last email with pictures of where I need the correction?

I have the Rx down its the position of the corrective on the lens that's getting me.
When I shoot service rifle my eye looks through the upper inside corner of the lens.
I'm not looking straight ahead and only need the correction for one eye.
If anything I need my shooting Rx on the left lens and my regular + 1.5 on the right to see my log book.
It appears they can not get the Rx on the lens anywhere they choose.
I will await tacticalRx response then if things can't be done I will buy knoblochs or champion olympics
I used to run an optical lab in a previous life. It's doable, you set the bifocal on a horizontal and vertical offset when you chuck it up to grind it. In the 70's they would glue the bifocals on (circulars bifocals after the lenses were cut to the frames (finish work).

One option is to talk to an OD and ask where they send their special work. This would be glasses for babies, large prism, dual lenticular lenses. Not the sort of stuff a LensCrafters does but there aware local shops that can do it.

Good luck.

I used to run an optical lab in a previous life. It's doable, you set the bifocal on a horizontal and vertical offset when you chuck it up to grind it. In the 70's they would glue the bifocals on (circulars bifocals after the lenses were cut to the frames (finish work).

One option is to talk to an OD and ask where they send their special work. This would be glasses for babies, large prism, dual lenticular lenses. Not the sort of stuff a LensCrafters does but there aware local shops that can do it.

Good luck.

I have yet to find anything but lenscrafters locally? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or really don't know what I should be looking for. So far the "custom" lens places I have tried end up saying .....well we can put the correction here ,here and here. Which is not where I need it?

Since you have past experience maybe you can recommend someone in the SE area of Massachusetts for lens making

Here is a link to another thread on Rx shooting glasses. Post #51 I have my home made Set up. I want something that's not held together with tape .
I see why the Knobloch design has not been really improved on. The only thing with the Knoblochs is they don't offer much in protection.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...on-Needed/page2?highlight=Rx+shooting+glasses

Last edited:
I gave up on TacticalRx they just stopped replying to my emails. Found mogan optical out of NY. a quick discussion with him and he came up with a solution to my problem. He said forget the bifocal I can make a lens that will have your correction over the entire lens. When it gets here I will do a full review.

Lens should be here Tuesday. Called Morgan and actually talked to Mr. Morgan I like that. If you must have a bi focal Morgan can do that also.

Back
Top Bottom