• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting conversation

Garys

NES Member
I was over a friends house tonight smoking cigars (H. Upmann Vintage Cameroons) and drinking scotch (McCallan 12) and talking. The subject of the VT shooting came up and knowing my friend as I do, I thought he'd say something about gun control. He did, but not what I expected. First, he said that the only person responsible was Cho. That didn't surprise me. Then he said that if one person in that classroom building had a gun the outcome would have been different. That did surprise me. He's not anti gun, but has never expressed any opinion on self defense.

What he said next surprised me even more. He said he's seriously considering applying for a LTC. I had an opportunity to correct some information because he thought that the chief of police had to issue him one because he has no disqualifying problems. He was shocked when I told him that the chief had almost complete discretion in whether to issue a LTC or not and could place just about any restrictions on a LTC.

I think that my friend is pretty typical of non gun owners in MA. Both in how easy he thinks it is to get a LTC and what someone armed with a hand gun could have done at VT. I'm hopeful that there might be a major change in how gun ownership is viewed, even here in liberal MA.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom