• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting conversation with 2 anti's

The Goose

NES Member
So Saturday night my wife had a Hanukkah party at our house and invited her usual group of friends. The husbands of two of the gals are very liberal and anti gun. I usually see them a couple of times a year and inevitably they try to bait me into a conversation about guns that I try my best to avoid. Anyway as the evening wore on and a few drinks had been had they finally cornered me in the kitchen and of course they started talking about guns. I braced myself for the usual bull, but this time their was a slight twist. The one guy says that his son lives in California and he just found out that his son has a license to carry. He asked his son why he thought he needed a gun and his son's response was that he felt that one armed citizen could have changed the course of events in San Bernardino. And what if that happened someplace where he was with his wife and kids. My guest looked at me and said that as much as it pained him to admit it, that he could not argue with that logic at which point my other guest chimed in and agreed. Don't get me wrong, those two are far from supporters, but I was absolutely shocked by their admission. I guess that the thought of his son and grandchildren being at the mercy of those lunatics allowed in at least a small (very small) hint of common sense.

So Saturday night my wife had a Hanukkah party at our house and invited her usual group of friends. The husbands of two of the gals are very liberal and anti gun. I usually see them a couple of times a year and inevitably they try to bait me into a conversation about guns that I try my best to avoid. Anyway as the evening wore on and a few drinks had been had they finally cornered me in the kitchen and of course they started talking about guns. I braced myself for the usual bull, but this time their was a slight twist. The one guy says that his son lives in California and he just found out that his son has a license to carry. He asked his son why he thought he needed a gun and his son's response was that he felt that one armed citizen could have changed the course of events in San Bernardino. And what if that happened someplace where he was with his wife and kids. My guest looked at me and said that as much as it pained him to admit it, that he could not argue with that logic at which point my other guest chimed in and agreed. Don't get me wrong, those two are far from supporters, but I was absolutely shocked by their admission. I guess that the thought of his son and grandchildren being at the mercy of those lunatics allowed in at least a small (very small) hint of common sense.

when reality comes home, it's usually with an admission of truth

The even better news? His son had the permit likely before San Bernadino...There is no way even in a PRO gun state like NH that his Sheriff issued a CCW in two weeks....

Thanks for sharing. My experiences with antis mirror your situation.

Nice to see a pack of liberals realize that these shootings do not happen in a vacuum millions of miles away...

What do they call that? Epiphany [smile] or a come to Jesus type moment. Very rare with liberals so you should record the event[laugh]

I don't know that I would take liberals to a gun range, they are still liberals so why teach them to shoot? Commies run their country by the gun, why arm commies?

The one guy says that his son lives in California and he just found out that his son has a license to carry.
Does his son live in the boonies, or is he powerful and connected?

Normalization goes a long way to deal with antis. When people see loved ones they know and trust owning arms it normalizes gun ownership and makes it less scary.

Normalization goes a long way to deal with antis. When people see loved ones they know and trust owning arms it normalizes gun ownership and makes it less scary.

Normalization is something all gun owners should be working on all day, every day. Remember, anti-gun attitudes can be "normalized" just as well. A greater percentage of the general population can be classified as "Non's", people who arent necessarily anti-gun but have no experience with them. Really, the fight long term is between pro gun and anti gun groups for the nons in the middle.

Normalization is something all gun owners should be working on all day, every day. Remember, anti-gun attitudes can be "normalized" just as well. A greater percentage of the general population can be classified as "Non's", people who arent necessarily anti-gun but have no experience with them. Really, the fight long term is between pro gun and anti gun groups for the nons in the middle.

This^.

Sorry to disagree but you can't normalize what has been radicalized. I would no more take a liberal to a gun range than I would take a radical muzzie. No sense in arming those who force their will on the nation.

The reluctant and reality based conclusion of more and more non-gun people is that a shoot out is still preferable to a massacre.

It is surprising to me that it is so hard for people to grasp this. The types that say things like "I don't want a gunfight in a school" when supporting gun free zones don't seem grasp that when a terrorist arrives, intent on killing people and dying in the process, that not having a gunfight isn't one of their choices.

There will be a gunfight. The only choice is the nature of that gunfight: one way, with victims on their knees getting shot in the back of their head, or two-way with the perp spending more time trying to not get shot and more people having a chance to run away.

The even better news? His son had the permit likely before San Bernadino...There is no way even in a PRO gun state like NH that his Sheriff issued a CCW in two weeks....

Yeah, you are 100%. My recent license application was turned in, processed and the license was in my hand in 2 days. [rolleyes]

Yeah, you are 100%. My recent license application was turned in, processed and the license was in my hand in 2 days. [rolleyes]

Here after the class you take your completion papers down to the Sherri and the make out the permit application right away. Took my daughter two days to get hers.

Sorry to disagree but you can't normalize what has been radicalized. I would no more take a liberal to a gun range than I would take a radical muzzie. No sense in arming those who force their will on the nation.

If youre talking about die-hard statists/communists, then I agree. Nothing is going to change their minds and I would rather them be unarmed as well.

I dont know how Oregon is, but in eastern MA, the default "normal" to one extent or another is "guns are scary and dangerous". Most kids grow up being taught that "guns are bad". Most people go their lives without seeing an actual gun outside of TV and movies. I think absorbing these ideas through osmosis is different than being radicalized. The first I believe is rather easily reversible to some extent. You wont turn every "non" into someone who is willing to die in support of the 2A, but even if its just a case where they think, "Jim from work is a decent guy and a gun owner" when entering the voting booth, its a step in the right direction.

Sounds like two possible converts. Do you think they'll take you up on a range invite someday?
Some range invitations are more appealing than others.....
i-DhBT7Jj.jpg

My most anti-gun friend just allowed me to give a safety class to his son. Paris and San Bernardino have changed the average person's outlook.

Some range invitations are more appealing than others.....
i-DhBT7Jj.jpg

My most anti-gun friend just allowed me to give a safety class to his son. Paris and San Bernardino have changed the average person's outlook.

Bah, every weekend is like this at Norwottuck Fish and Game Club. :paul:

I agree, but one should also note that the problem with the nons is not that most of them go anti... its just that the nons don't have any skin in the game so the issue doesn't get consideration from them, in either direction.

Thankfully most of the nons in this country don't suck for antis by default, but we still have a long way to go in terms of them actually caring.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom