Interesting blog on "gun influencers", (not gun bunnies, no pictures).

As an XD owner I cant help but feel like he designed the XD and is very salty. But I was pretty salty too when I was young and dumb and got home just to realize "Springfield Armory" is eurotrash for "made in croatia"

Gun “influencers” drive trends in the industry way more than that author acknowledges. It’s a bizarre article, that, in my view, completely ignores the obvious trends in the market

Most of the trends weren't started by typical fag influencers though. People like LukAth BoItKin etc didn't get people jerking off over red dots on handguns starting like 10+ yrs ago. A lot of this stuff is organic. Actually in the case of RDSes some trainers started pushing it. Honestly most of it was shit like Trijicon pushing the RMR. Once that arrived it made the idea 20% less dumb than it was otherwise

As an XD owner I cant help but feel like he designed the XD and is very salty. But I was pretty salty too when I was young and dumb and got home just to realize "Springfield Armory" is eurotrash for "made in croatia"
Lol its gotta be an XD or some other 2nd tier semi. Maybe he should go work for SW or Ruger where 80% of customer base is from branding lol

ETA: unless hes lying about the prices or something. XDs were never that cheap but theres plenty of other stuff it could have been.

Last edited:
Come on, you know you buy whatever snackbar post.
I only have two gun influencers:

First @andrew1220 - if he can't break it, no one can.

Second @drgrant if he doesn't say it is g@y, trash or a skinflint gun, I buy it.

@Cuthbert Allgood used to be one of my influencers, but I couldn't keep up with all the p@ssy I had to reject. I am a married man. His recommendations almost ended my marriage.

Say what you want about Gun bunnies and influencers but they do a needed job of bringing in the the younger demo into the picture besides we all aren't spring chicken anymore 😂😂

So, I finally read the link to the post and all I could think of is the Maverick thread. Those dudes saying the truck is a POS because it can't do what the $60K truck does.

That being said, the market is saturated with $500 guns and once in a while comes a company that releases a real POS and tries to market it as the next big thing ... even though everyone else has been selling the same product for 5+ years.

McGun Vetboy is no question going to influence gun owners as much as Clint and Elmer and that arrogant old 45 guy.

I recall when Clint shifted - he said he was tired of people listening to him, buying a full size 1911 and then either never carrying it or selling it back to the gun shop and ever carrying again.

McGun Vetboy influences buyers in every category. Beer. Beard oil. Mascara.

One thing this whiner is wrong about is influence of buyers in the past 2 years.... during ECR 90% of the noobs don't even know what a gun influencer is. They literally bought everything in 2020..... 🤣

One thing this whiner is wrong about is influence of buyers in the past 2 years.... during ECR 90% of the noobs don't even know what a gun influencer is. They literally bought everything in 2020..... 🤣
I think he gives too much credit to the guy behind the counter st the FFL.

I see noobs at the store, it is rare the gun store will tell them a gun they sell is a POS. They might recommend the one next to it based on the buyers needs, but usually what I hear is "yes, this gun will do what you want it to do".

Maybe, just maybe, people would rather spend a little bit more money for a better designed gun that doesn’t cut as many corners during engineering and manufacturing.

This guy is pretty sore that his engineering work wasn’t appreciated, and is blaming other people. Maybe the company should have done more research into the sub-$400 pistol market.

Just because an engineer puts a lot of work in a product doesn't obligate the cosumer to want to buy it.

Maybe he should save his ire for the marketers and market research people instead of randos on the internet.
Especially since it was the job of those marketers to get trial samples in the hands of reviewers who would appropriately compare it if they really wanted it to sell. Sometimes people will hate your product, even when you did a good job of it. But more likely, he's excusing bad decisions and corner cutting as "value engineering." No friend, you made a bad product.

To further diminish his whining, here's a gun-influencer-vet*, giving a reasonably balanced review of a $400 pistol that will never be a Glock-killer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pECNo8QZro

*granted, John isn't e.g. Mat Best...but I'm sure the article's author doesn't see a ton of difference there

Most of them I could give a rats ass about.......some of them are downright retarded.

Hickok is like my Grampa.......tough not to like him.

Especially since it was the job of those marketers to get trial samples in the hands of reviewers who would appropriately compare it if they really wanted it to sell. Sometimes people will hate your product, even when you did a good job of it. But more likely, he's excusing bad decisions and corner cutting as "value engineering." No friend, you made a bad product.
He admits they made a bad product, at one point he mentions something about how size doesn't matter because these people will not carry.

What he fails to understand is that while the noob probably won't care, the person they ask for advice might.

If you are going to go after a saturated market (because the $350-550 market is saturated), you better build something good, not just OK because you assume people won't care.

Market saturation is something he also fails to understand, GLOCK, SIG, SW, Ruger, FN ... those 5, with Glock, SIG and SW at the top, flood stores with guns, could maybe add Kimber to that list as well. Bro, you are entering a tough market with a lot of supply, your product better be cheap AF or have some really good reason why people should choose it. Looks like neither of those requirement were met, the product was average on pricing and sh*t on features.

There's too much time out of my life I won't get back.

The guy denies his own premise in his conclusion. To wit, his premise:

"They are going to buy from a major big-box sporting good retailer (Academy Sports, Bass Pro Shops, etc.) where they feel comfortable. They want a gun that is from a brand with a known quality reputation, a warranty, and is reasonably priced with an MSRP ideally $399.99. The target consumer for this gun is going to go to Bass Pro or Academy or any one of those types of stores and ask for a pistol for home defense. They are going to look at the price first. The guy behind the counter will pull out a few guns in the same $400 range. The buyer will pick them up and decide based on what feels best in their hand is the one they want. If one model happens to be on special that day, that one will probably be the one sold."

Then later, in his conclusion:

"A lot of guys who sign up to work behind the counter at these retailers are gun guys. First-time buyers rely on the knowledge of the guy behind the counter or their gun guy friends for advice. So now the gun guy friend or the gun guy behind the counter is asked for their sage advice, they repeat what YouTube McVetBro-Douche said."

So...which is it? Are they first-time buyers, who are going to grab the first gun and "decide based on what feels best in their hand is the one they want. If one model happens to be on special that day, that one will probably be the one sold," or is it "First-time buyers rely on the knowledge of the guy behind the counter or their gun guy friends?" Because you can't have both.

Besides, when was the last time you ran into a "gun guy" behind the counter at Bass Pro?

Back
Top Bottom