Interesting blog on "gun influencers", (not gun bunnies, no pictures).

A proxy for direct contact with sales prospects
is having a detailed finger on the pulse of customer service -
if not shouldering that directly.

Nothing informs engineering about what crap they've built
like listening to people bitch about it, and having to fix it.
The blame can't be placed 100% on engineering.
There are a lot of people pushing with their own goals that sometimes cause engineering to deliver an inferior product.

A good example of this is almost every Smith and Wesson "Performance Center" gun. You can see a lot of shortcuts that are taken to keep them maybe $50 cheaper, when they are already raping people at $1300. I would bet these shortcuts were not taken because engineering pushed for it.

One example: Cutting the 929 cylinder with the same tool used for a .357. 100% a corporate move.

The blame can't be placed 100% on engineering.
There are a lot of people pushing with their own goals that sometimes cause engineering to deliver an inferior product.

A good example of this is almost every Smith and Wesson "Performance Center" gun. You can see a lot of shortcuts that are taken to keep them maybe $50 cheaper, when they are already raping people at $1300. I would bet these shortcuts were not taken because engineering pushed for it.

One example: Cutting the 929 cylinder with the same tool used for a .357. 100% a corporate move.

Agreed. An engineer just might be working off of a specifications sheet or taking a designer's concept and making it work. They aren't often responsible for capturing the market pulse or how the gun looks, aesthetically. As far as they're concerned, they just care if it works. And even then, if it isn't reliable, it still might not be their fault. Mass production can introduce a lot of variables that aren't present in hand crafted prototypes.

The gun bunnies thread got shut down before anyone posted a pic of Lena Miculek.

She cleans up nice, and really is a good shot. She could influence me, and I could disappoint the Hell out of her.

Attachments

• lena2.jpg
    lena2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Lena1.jpg
    Lena1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 11
Agreed. An engineer just might be working off of a specifications sheet or taking a designer's concept and making it work. They aren't often responsible for capturing the market pulse or how the gun looks, aesthetically. As far as they're concerned, they just care if it works. ...
In a company with a proud engineering history,
that's where the product creativity starts.
If they stay lucky.

... And even then, if it isn't reliable, it still might not be their fault. Mass production can introduce a lot of variables that aren't present in hand crafted prototypes.
Word. Before taking the field test tapes to shipping,
we always had to do an install with one of them
to make sure it all worked (and it wasn't blank).

Back
Top Bottom