• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting Article & Video on Tunnel Rats in Vietnam

When I was the officer on engine 2 my driver was a former Marine tunnel rat. On one occasion he emptied his .45 into a guy who's AK had screwed up. It's no wonder his hearing wasn't so great.

I will not even speak to the beheadings, cutting ear crap mentioned above by the OP...but as you scroll past YouTube crap under: “NON GRATUS ANUS RODENTUM (“NOT WORTH A RAT’S ASS”). I recognize Franklin Short of Pennsylvania on the right holding a suppressed .38 and holding a Everready lamp. He was stabbed through the throat with a bayonet raising a trapped tunnel door but managed to get a shot off and kill his attacker. He was evacuated to the the 25th Div;s 12th Evac in Cu Chi by General Westmorland whose chopper happened to be flying close by. He actually told me he escaped the hospital in his hospital blues and hitched as ride north to his unit who was operating near Tay Ninh City.

He told me he thought he was transferred to my aviation company and sure as hell a pilot remembered him. I think he did 30 years in the Army and did the 1st Gulf war and retired as a Master Sargent.

I wish i could remeber my dads friends name. He was a tunnel rat. Told us lots of stories but nothing terribly nasty , im sure that was on purpose.
My dad said to me once when i asked if a story was true... " knowing what i know, knowing what I,know he did. i would not doubt anything he tells you"

interesting. I am reading the Bosch novels and his "backstory" is that he was a tunnel rat in Vietnam

Back
Top Bottom