• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interested in learning how to shoot carbines

I'm looking to get into shooting carbines. Why? Because I can!

Any pointers to equipment, classes, etc would be great. My goal is to be comfortable enough with one to eventually attend a Appleseed. I'm on the North Shore of Ma.

Thanks.

Don't worry about "Learning to shoot a carbine" before you attend one of the Appleseed shoots. They'll teach you. Get yourself a good .22, one with a sling preferrably, then give crak a PM about attending.
I believe he's still running the mini-shoots at Harvard Sportsman's club.

You'll pick up a lot of good info.

Appleseed is the place to come do it before the bad habits set in! This comes from watching lots of people struggle with bad habits!

Next one is August 27th at 6pm at Harvard Sportsmen's club. I'll announce a weekend date in September when I work that out.

Did you mean that you have a carbine already and are looking for more equipment, or are you looking for carbine advice? To start, a sling, a carpet/USGI foam pad and a truckload of ammo are about all the equipment you need. After you get comfortable then get the stuff you know will help for you.

Last edited:
there IS one other thing to bring - either a shooting jacket OR a comfortable pair of elbow pads - you WILL be spending a lot of time prone with the rifle on your elbows, and the pads mitigate a lot of pain.

Learn to shoot before you try to be tacti-cool.

I hear you.

The deal is that a friend is looking to reduce his collection, and has a Bushmaster he offered to sell me cheap, so it got me thinking about getting into HP/carbine rifle shooting. I think it would be irresponsible not to learn as much as I can about using one if I were to buy it from him. Thats all. I'm not interested in playing commando. I just believe in being responsible.

Last edited:
Bushmaster is great. Cheap Bushmaster is even better. Whatever configuration it's currently in will be fine to start out. Once you get some experience and know which direction you want to go with your shooting, there's no easier rifle to modify than an AR. You can switch the top half from from a heavy High Power 1000 yard rifle to a tactical shorty to a .22lr for practice in about 20 seconds.

Get it. [smile]

And life is too short for cheap magazines... get USGI ones and save yourself the frustration of nosediving rounds mucking up the works.

Slim, learn basic marksmanship.

THEN go to a real school where you will learn to use a rifle to fight with, not to just punch paper. Look in the training forum

Lest you think I'm some spray-and-pray commando, I do have a Master classification in NRA Highpower and NRA Mid Range Prone. And let me tell you, none of those disciplines teach you anything about how to fight with a gun.

Bushmaster is great. Cheap Bushmaster is even better. Whatever configuration it's currently in will be fine to start out. Once you get some experience and know which direction you want to go with your shooting, there's no easier rifle to modify than an AR. You can switch the top half from from a heavy High Power 1000 yard rifle to a tactical shorty to a .22lr for practice in about 20 seconds.

Get it. [smile]

And life is too short for cheap magazines... get USGI ones and save yourself the frustration of nosediving rounds mucking up the works.

Thanks for the advice !

Slim, learn basic marksmanship.

THEN go to a real school where you will learn to use a rifle to fight with, not to just punch paper. Look in the training forum

Lest you think I'm some spray-and-pray commando, I do have a Master classification in NRA Highpower and NRA Mid Range Prone. And let me tell you, none of those disciplines teach you anything about how to fight with a gun.

Jose,

Maybe my first post was a bit yahoo-ish.

I never questioned your background or credentials. I'm sure they are outstanding, and I understand and appreciate what you're saying.

I think the Appleseed is basically a marksmanship course. What I am looking for is something prior to attending so I can to get familiar with the rifle before going so I can focus on shooting properly and not so much on the operation of the rifle.

I'll leave learning to fight with a carbine to the professionals. I dont think it's very practical outside the military, prof security or LE.

-slim

Operating an AR-15 (or just about any other modern military rifle) is simplicity itself. Take it out to the range with a hundred rounds or so and you'll get the hang of it. Then, if you really want to, you can take more advanced classes.

Don't be intimidated because it is really very simple and you shoot it just the same as you would any other rifle.

Slim, why don't you go over to the forum at www.appleseedinfo.org and ask your question? You can ask smallz - she's my 17 year old niece, and basically got handed a 10/22 on Saturday morning - first time she'd ever shot it. She learned pretty quick... 'Course, she had her uncle next to her as well as the instructors on the line, but we're a pretty friendly bunch, and we WANT to teach! [smile]

I think the Appleseed is basically a marksmanship course. What I am looking for is something prior to attending so I can to get familiar with the rifle before going so I can focus on shooting properly and not so much on the operation of the rifle.

It sounds like what you are looking for is someone to go to the range with to show you the basic ropes of how to operate the rifle (loading, clearing, mag changes, cleaning etc.). Typicly I'd offer to show you myself, but I don't have an AR and wouldn't be much help.

I suspect an hour at the range with someone who already knows how to run an AR and you'll be ready for the Appleseed shoot.

Slim, why don't you go over to the forum at www.appleseedinfo.org and ask your question? You can ask smallz - she's my 17 year old niece, and basically got handed a 10/22 on Saturday morning - first time she'd ever shot it. She learned pretty quick... 'Course, she had her uncle next to her as well as the instructors on the line, but we're a pretty friendly bunch, and we WANT to teach! [smile]

I'll do that. Thanks!

It sounds like what you are looking for is someone to go to the range with to show you the basic ropes of how to operate the rifle (loading, clearing, mag changes, cleaning etc.). Typicly I'd offer to show you myself, but I don't have an AR and wouldn't be much help.

I suspect an hour at the range with someone who already knows how to run an AR and you'll be ready for the Appleseed shoot.

That does sound like something that pretty much what would set me up. Thanks for the offer though.

I can show you how to run it, and teach the appleseed stuff afterwards. When will you have the rifle? I'm assuming you have your LTC situation worked out already?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom