• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interested in a Tactical Carbine Course This Summer?

I'm posting this to see what the support would be for having another tactical carbine course somewhere in Mass/Southern NH area this summer. I've communicated with Larry Vickers to get him up here for one of his 3 day courses. (Fri/Sat/Sun) He said he would be interested so I told him that I'd see how much interest there was in the community. Dates and location still would have to be established but if you would be interested in something like this drop me an email at [email protected] (put Vickers Tactical in the subject line) and we'll see if we can get a good group together.
If you're not familiar with Larry Vickers, he spent 20 years in US Special Operations with many years of that in the elite Delta Force. According to him, the highest point in his career was "the rescue in Panama" in 1989 in which the Delta Force went into Panama to rescue CIA agent Kurt Muse from execution via Ex-Panamanian Dictator Manuel Noriega. This operation was deeply classified until recently and aired on Discovery Channel's "Combat Zone" just a couple weeks ago.(try and catch a rerun) He has been training SpecOps, Military Units, LE Orgs and Civilian courses as well as competing nationally since his retirement.
Check out his website: http://www.vickerstactical.com/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Larry all the time. He's a real nice guy and stops in the shop every once in a while. One of his good combat buddies works with me (actually...it's the other way around). A real wealth of information.

Excellent! I hope to have him up here to tap his skill base.
Looks like interest is being developed but the whole thing hinges on finding a location. I will work diligently on this over the weekend and into next week.
Details to follow either way.

Jason

I would be interested... just need to know what I would need to have...

IE... firearm??? amount of ammo? any particular ammo requirements?

Being kind of a noob to shooting all together... any pre req courses?

Vickers Tactical Northeast Update

VickersTactical UPDATE 17FEB07
1st note:
We have set a tentative date for this course as July 13,14,15. I say tentative because we are still looking for a venue. I have been quoted a few prices for a 100-300 yrd. rifle range but the fees would be so high that it would inflat the cost for this course far beyond reasonable amounts. There have been a couple of you that have offered to help find a place for this, and I appreciate this. If anyone wants to help secure a venue for a fair price please contact me and we'll talk about it.

2nd note:
We haven't gotten a solid course fee yet as the final price is contingent upon the above issue. But we can say that it will be in the range of $500-700 depending on, again, the range fee. Larry has given us a reduced price for his 3 day carbine/pistol instruction.

3rd note:
14-16 participants (need at least 12-14/cap. is at 16)

A bit about the course we will be taking:
Larry primarily focuses on training military, gov't. and LE units. He is based out of FT. Brag, NC. so the class we take will be intense and at a level that you will definately appreciate as he will not deter from his normal instruction because we are civilians. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS this class! We will shoot at steel/paper targets depending on range length and Larry will give INDIVIDUAL attention to each person in class as he goes down the firing line. His class will utilize carbine and pistol tactics and transitions in-between. He may tweak this course as he goes along depending on the group's overall feedback and response.

If you have any questions or whatnot, please feel free to contact me at Digitaljay2002@yahoo (put "VickersTac Update"in the subject line) and I will continue to try and find a range at a reasonable cost.
Thanks
Jason

I would be interested... just need to know what I would need to have...

IE... firearm??? amount of ammo? any particular ammo requirements?

Being kind of a noob to shooting all together... any pre req courses?

You can get a good idea of what you need from www.vickerstactical.com. If this gets off the ground, I will distribute a course outline detailing what you should bring or need. This is a carbine/pistol course so you would need a carbine, preferrably an AR-15 and a semi-auto pistol. For prereqs, you should be very comfortable with the AR platform, cleaning, stripping, zeroing, ammo usage and use of iron sights or optic such as eotec, aimpoint. And just be ready for some hard work and hard fun.

You probably do NOT want to run this in MA, as the MA AWB has NO EXCEPTIONS for visitors or training (other than LEOs). Regrettable.

You can get a good idea of what you need from www.vickerstactical.com. If this gets off the ground, I will distribute a course outline detailing what you should bring or need. This is a carbine/pistol course so you would need a carbine, preferrably an AR-15 and a semi-auto pistol. For prereqs, you should be very comfortable with the AR platform, cleaning, stripping, zeroing, ammo usage and use of iron sights or optic such as eotec, aimpoint. And just be ready for some hard work and hard fun.
Is this going to be a "Carbine 1" level class (from his website)? I might be interested. According to his website he's not too fussy on what kind of carbine you have, so if I have my new M1 carbine by then, I'd be interested.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As LenS points out, where ever we do this(CT/MA/NH/ME) EACH and EVERY participant would have to be solely responsible for their following the local and federal laws regarding firearms, hi-capacity magazines, assualt weapons ban restrictions and/or resident/nonresident permit and licensing.
Thanks

The course will be a hybrid course encompassing all levels but as Larry feels best fits the specific class. I'll have to ask him about the M1 but something tells me that will be fine.

Ok, so looking at this and what I currently have;

Post ban AR-15 = good
Siide mount sling on AR = acceptable
5 - 30 round mags = good
Mag pouches = should be easy enough to get
Ruger P85 9mm = good
Holster for 9mm = not yet, but easy enough
1000 rounds 5.56 = good
150 rounds 9mm = good
mounted light on AR = will have to get
Iron sights = acceptable
Optics = none, but not required

Now I have not taken a formal basic carbin course, however, i have become very comfortable with my AR, cleaning, stripping and all.

so my only real need would be the where, when and how much at this point.

I am surely interested though.

Hang in there everyone, info will be on the way within the week. We are just trying to finalize a few more issues. Forgive me as I have neglected to post much more information but due to high interest in this course I would like to wait until I open up official registration to post EVERYTHING you'll need. Please keep your interest high, July 13-15th free and stay tuned.
Cheers!

I would be very interested in attending. My pd is changing from shotguns to Ar-15's and a few of the other guys may like to go also.

COURSE UPDATE:
Continue to hang in there as we have hit a couple of roadblocks with the venue we had originally chosen to host this event. We are now shopping other venues at this time.

*response to Billy2: That's great! Continue to look for updates to this thread as both Larry and I hope to get this nailed down.

Back
Top Bottom