Interest in free range brass?

Very late update. My apologies. I was trying to set up a date/time before the snow fell, but obviously that didn't work out to well. Then life kicked in and [hmmm]

I did get "permission" to hold this as an "event" during one of our monthly "Work Party" dates which are on the second or third Sunday of the month. Only a few minor requests like checking in, signing a waiver, "visitor" name tag, show a LTC, staying within our property boundaries, signing out (as the range will go active after we are done), respect our property and neighbors, blah blah blah...

There is still plenty of brass to be picked up, but some is more accessible than others. :rolleyes:

That being said I'm thinking I'll update or get a date again in the spring.

Worthwhile? or not?

Jay

Better late than ....

If anyone wishes to stop by this Sunday October 18th from around 08:00-10:00 you can pickup all the brass you wish. All ranges will be closed. We are a cold range. Most of the brass on the ground is in decent shape, plus I have some buckets of mixed cases (brass, aluminum, steel, pistol/rifle) that you can go through. We just recently had a Steel Challenge 5 stage match, so while we do pick up brass, there is still plenty that is worthwhile.

Location/directions at Worcester Pistol Rifle Club

When you arrive, just ask for me, Jay, as I'll be around doing other maintenance, but can stop and show you around. If you want my phone, please PM. The gate will be locked, but we can get you inside without issue. We are not that big. Please bring your own supplies, buckets, gloves, etc. Please leave kids and pets at home.

Jay

this is a great idea, except for the fact that we live in a society that would probably take issue with kids being around lead and we certainly don't need any legal issues at the club if it's WP&R. i get a bad enough pit in my stomach every time I drive by the new development going up over there...i feel like it's a matter of time before the neighbors start taking issue with the noise that was there before their developments.
Plus finding boys scout groups large enough to get the job done will be hard also. Get a lawn tractor and one of those pull behind brooms.

Better late than ....

If anyone wishes to stop by this Sunday October 18th from around 08:00-10:00 you can pickup all the brass you wish. All ranges will be closed. We are a cold range. Most of the brass on the ground is in decent shape, plus I have some buckets of mixed cases (brass, aluminum, steel, pistol/rifle) that you can go through. We just recently had a Steel Challenge 5 stage match, so while we do pick up brass, there is still plenty that is worthwhile.

Location/directions at Worcester Pistol Rifle Club

When you arrive, just ask for me, Jay, as I'll be around doing other maintenance, but can stop and show you around. If you want my phone, please PM. The gate will be locked, but we can get you inside without issue. We are not that big. Please bring your own supplies, buckets, gloves, etc. Please leave kids and pets at home.

Jay
I’m sure @Paulk137 will be there to clean you guys out😂

I’m sure @Paulk137 will be there to clean you guys out😂

I've shot with a person named Paul a few times in IDPA /Steel Challenge at WPRC. A damned fast and accurate shooter. I enjoy watching and learning from him. Not sure if he's the same "Paul". I've given him plenty of brass and have offered more.

My most pressing dilemma is that we "ask" members pick up their brass when done shooting. Most do and some don't. Either way, we accumulate buckets of casings (brass, steel, aluminum). We just don't have the "member-power" to sort through it all. Most recycle centers want separated metals. I'd prefer if we could sort and recoup some of the money but if we can't sort it, the next best idea is to give it away, and the third "not desirable" option is to just "dispose" of it. :mad:

I can give mixed amounts or I do have a screener and magnets if people want to sort it on site.

Side note. If any ranges use old tires for their berms or other uses, I have about 35 to 40 tires to dispose of. I can't throw them in the dumpster. Let me know and we can make arrangement for you to take them.

Jay

I've shot with a person named Paul a few times in IDPA /Steel Challenge at WPRC. A damned fast and accurate shooter. I enjoy watching and learning from him. Not sure if he's the same "Paul". I've given him plenty of brass and have offered more.

My most pressing dilemma is that we "ask" members pick up their brass when done shooting. Most do and some don't. Either way, we accumulate buckets of casings (brass, steel, aluminum). We just don't have the "member-power" to sort through it all. Most recycle centers want separated metals. I'd prefer if we could sort and recoup some of the money but if we can't sort it, the next best idea is to give it away, and the third "not desirable" option is to just "dispose" of it. :mad:

I can give mixed amounts or I do have a screener and magnets if people want to sort it on site.

Side note. If any ranges use old tires for their berms or other uses, I have about 35 to 40 tires to dispose of. I can't throw them in the dumpster. Let me know and we can make arrangement for you to take them.

Jay
Yup that’s probably the same Paul. He shoots IDPA/SC

Jay
The bigger problem with scrap brass is its often full of mud. The local scrap yard will reduce your price if he sees a lot of cases full of crud.
Sorting the steel is easy enough , heck local scrap yard (you really need to find one and get to know them) here is small and they toss the brass on a belt and a magnet grabs all the steel. Last big run i did from club clean up (i was bored and cleaned up where the police train) i filed 4 buckets of random stuff. I ended up with aprox 80lbs of junk brass @ $1.64lb and 12lb steel @ $.04lb
I rinsed the brass really well with a hose.

I borrowed one of these years ago to pick up the range during a club clean up day. Worked very good.
Amazon product ASIN B07GJGCXDPView: https://www.amazon.com/ROVSUN-Magnetic-Capacity-Adjustable-Collection/dp/B07GJGCXDP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Magnetic+Nail+Sweeper&qid=1602948081&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExREdKRUdWNEpGQlVBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ2OTQ0MVk2UEtNTkk1Szc3VyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjMzODQ4MkxBWkZXVU1TUEpQUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The little roller cage brass collector work s .
I know a brass rat who bought one of these. He says it works good

View: https://vimeo.com/266382906

This will make short work of it

View: https://vimeo.com/273388009

So talk to your local scrap yard and see if you can agree on a price on the mixed brass as long as most of its brass. I dont know how much brass is left on your range regulary but it may be worth it to find out how much you can cash in on.

If you have Jr shooters or a work hour program you can even buy the caliber sorting trays and sell the brass to reloaders for more than scrap price.

223 is about 12lbs/1000 rounds
Right now rifle brass is paying $1.05/lb you could easily sell once fired brass for .05 cents each
Scrap $12.60/lb once fired $50/1000

Last edited:
The bigger problem with scrap brass is its often full of mud. The local scrap yard will reduce your price if he sees a lot of cases full of crud.

Sorting the steel is easy enough , heck local scrap yard (you really need to find one and get to know them) here is small and they toss the brass on a belt and a magnet grabs all the steel. Last big run i did from club clean up (i was bored and cleaned up where the police train) i filed 4 buckets of random stuff. I ended up with aprox 80lbs of junk brass @ $1.64lb and 12lb steel @ $.04lb
I rinsed the brass really well with a hose....

Thanks mac1911. I have checked into many ideas you mentioned to do "case reclamation". We are working on many of those ideas, but my main goal is to get rid of as much as I can before the winter weather settles in.

Thank you,

Jay

you don't have "brass-rat" members that are trying to scoop your brass before it hits the ground?

Oh yes, we have those "people" members, but we still have a more than enough to give away. I have manual screeners, magnets, buckets, etc. I just don't have the bodies to do all of it before the crappy weather settles in.

Jay

i get a bad enough pit in my stomach every time I drive by the new development going up over there...i feel like it's a matter of time before the neighbors start taking issue with the noise that was there before their developments.
My club retained Scrivener to write a letter to the developer of nearby housing informing them that:
  1. We have a legal right to exist (with citation to the grandfather noise ordinance)
  2. We plan on continuing operation indefinitely
  3. Some buyer may consider a nearby gun range a material fact relevant to any purchase/rental of property
  4. We are requesting they notify all prospective buyers/renters of this
  5. The club is not taking a position for or against their development

My club retained Scrivener to write a letter to the developer of nearby housing informing them that:
  1. We have a legal right to exist (with citation to the grandfather noise ordinance)
  2. We plan on continuing operation indefinitely
  3. Some buyer may consider a nearby gun range a material fact relevant to any purchase/rental of property
  4. We are requesting they notify all prospective buyers/renters of this
  5. The club is not taking a position for or against their development

This! FYI. at this exact point in time, there is no need to get a pit in your stomach. That doesn't mean anything except for "this exact point in time". ;)

I'm not a representative of the club. While I do volunteer work for the club and I can observe things, my ramblings are my own.

Jay

Well, sad to say. The free range casings offer was an epic failure. I understand reloaders not wanted old mud encrusted cases on the ground, but damn, I have some good cases. No, nothing polished, but lots of fired once brass that cleans up just fine in the tumbler. I'll try some other ideas as I just really wanted to get most cases out of the way before winter sets in.

I'll leave the offer out there if anyone is in need of cases in the future.

Jay

Well, sad to say. The free range casings offer was an epic failure. I understand reloaders not wanted old mud encrusted cases on the ground, but damn, I have some good cases. No, nothing polished, but lots of fired once brass that cleans up just fine in the tumbler. I'll try some other ideas as I just really wanted to get most cases out of the way before winter sets in.

I'll leave the offer out there if anyone is in need of cases in the future.

Jay
its not easy to get folks to show up to do anything. Heck I hardly had time to pick up my own brass after a quick range trip to test a few loads. I live with in 30 min of 6 clubs and be damned if I can get to any one often!

Last edited:
its not easy to get folks to show up to do anything. Heck I hardly had time to pick up my own brass after a quick range trip to test a few loads. I live with in 30 min of 6 clubs and be damned if I can get to any one often!

Agreed. I'll leave the offer as it stands and try and get some of those other tools to clean up cases.

It's a never ending process, but I'll keep throwing ideas at it.

Thanks again,

Jay

i seem to remember talk here of a brass buyer/seller website in mass. can someone refresh me on that?

my club has a s**t-ton of brass (no mud-straight from the concrete pad) we really could do without.

probably 90ish% once fired. interested in doing a project to sort and sell for the benefit of the club instead of scrapping,
but i need some #'s of selling price locally to present to the board

Last edited:
i seem to remember talk here of a brass buyer/seller website in mass. can someone refresh me on that?

my club has a s**t-ton of brass (no mud-straight from the concrete pad) we really could do without.

probably 90ish% once fired. interested in doing a project to sort and sell for the benefit of the club instead of scrapping,
but i need some #'s of selling price locally to present to the board
theres brass posted for sale at the 2 clubs I frequent often averages about .08 ea unless its something special

Back
Top Bottom