• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Instructional info/ videos on handgun types

Anyone know of good articles and videos of handgun types and how they operate? I have a friend and his wife that are getting their LTC’s and I would like to show them some good information so that they can make a knowledgeable decision when the time comes to purchase a firearm. I plan on showing them a few that I have so they can get a hands on feel. Thanks in advance.

Anyone know of good articles and videos of handgun types and how they operate? I have a friend and his wife that are getting their LTC’s and I would like to show them some good information so that they can make a knowledgeable decision when the time comes to purchase a firearm. I plan on showing them a few that I have so they can get a hands on feel. Thanks in advance.
So.....the mass firearm safety course doesn't cover that anymore?

I don’t know or didn’t know they had a course like that. If that’s your way of saying they do, then thanks.
If they are applying for an LTC they would need thr safety course first and they cover some of that.

It is good for beginners to learn as much as possible, but the really hard part about choosing first handguns is understanding the compromises that are involved in selecting handguns for different purposes. These compromises include: size vs concealable, power vs controllable, and general purpose vs specific purpose. It takes a lot of experience to make judgements about balancing these choices, and this is where the experience of a good instructor is invaluable.

I have helped lots of people with these issues, and even though individual requirements are quite important, I can still give an overall summary of what works. A first handgun should either be striker fired 9mm that is big enough to get a good grip on, or a .22 target pistol. Most people who want to shoot well will eventually need to own both of these, and it does not matter that much which one comes first. A traditional double action 9mm is also acceptable, but the two different trigger pulls causes more problems for beginners than many people expect.

If someone wants something more powerful, or something much smaller and lighter, or a single action cocked and locked auto, then those are all fine choices for a third handgun, but only after the basics are mastered with something easier. Here are some popular first choices which work out poorly in my experience: a lightweight .38 snubnose, a very small 9mm, an even smaller .380, a 1911, anything in .40 or .45. These are all great guns, but they are not good for learning the basics, they are good for someone who has already learned the basics on an easier platform.

For someone who really needs the first gun to be concealable, my first recommendation is something Glock 19 sized that allows for a good grip. If it needs to be smaller, then a Shield or a 365 XL are acceptable. But anything smaller works better as a third or fourth pistol.

bypassing the 22LR as the first gun, because it is cheap to buy and cheap to train with... sight picture, trigger discipline, etc etc etc transfers to other guns easily, my "go to" gun for first time buyers is always some sort of revolver, even a J frame with Pachmyer grips does the trick because it is going to fire every time, the chances of a FTF or FTE are near zero, and there is no slide bite or other issues... IMHO it is as reliable as it gets

The only way for someone to know what they are going to be proficient with is range time with a 22 to learn the basics, then go thru a bunch of different guns to see what works for that person, and that includes proficiency and ability to be carried/concealed with confidence. If someone is not comfortable with a particular gun, they will not carry it... it took me a while to get comfortable with a Glock with one in the pipe IWB carried coming from a Model 13 revolver, but that was 30 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom