• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Instead of Reviving Old Thread- Serial Numbers

So an old thread said the frame was the serial number of record for a firearm. Any recent changes?
Does that mean if I get an optional (OEM) barrel or slide I am good in MA for serial number?
I didn't try ordering anything yet but would that transaction have to go through an FFL dealer if I did want a non-frame serialized component?

The ATF defines the serialized portion for each firearm design. Usually, this is the frame or receiver. You can buy any replacement parts or accessories you want and install them on your firearm. The only time the serialized part matters is if you need to buy it through a FFL, where they have to complete a 4473. None of this has anything to do with MA.

Buy all the barrels in the world you want

The ATF defines the serialized portion for each firearm design. Usually, this is the frame or receiver. You can buy any replacement parts or accessories you want and install them on your firearm. The only time the serialized part matters is if you need to buy it through a FFL, where they have to complete a 4473. None of this has anything to do with MA.

Buy all the barrels in the world you want
Thanks, thought that was the case but can never be too careful

Back
Top Bottom