• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Installing the Ace Skeleton Stock

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I finally got my buffer parts and am ready to install this stock on my NES lower. But as I was getting familiar with how things went together I noticed that the buffer tube was a TIGHT fit through the holes in the stock. I know that when I start to put everything together that I need to lightly lube/wet the tube and the foam cover, but will this be enough to allow the tube to slip into the stock body openings? If it matters, the buffer parts were from Sherluk.

Thanks.

You should be fine. I just installed mine last night. Do it like this:
Remove old stock-watch for the buffer detent pin & spring, the rear takedown pin spring, rear takedown pin, and the little retaining pin in its slot-all small pieces, easy to lose.
Put all those pieces back in, once you have removed the old buffer tube, and screw the new buffer tube in, making sure you dont crimp the rear takedown pin spring, and making sure that the lip of the buffer tube detent is below the edge of the buffer tube once its screwed in.
Lube the buffer tube-I used CLP, but I am sure anything would work-was gonna use olive oil, but I didnt want it smelling like a salad :)
Slip the ACE stock onto the tube, then the neoprene cover over the tube. Push the ACE stock all the way in, while slipping the cover on as you go. Should go on pretty easy with only a very light coat of oil.
Seat it in place, put the screws in, and you're good to go. All in all, its about a 5 minute install, unless you lose a spring....

I finally got my buffer parts and am ready to install this stock on my NES lower. But as I was getting familiar with how things went together I noticed that the buffer tube was a TIGHT fit through the holes in the stock. I know that when I start to put everything together that I need to lightly lube/wet the tube and the foam cover, but will this be enough to allow the tube to slip into the stock body openings? If it matters, the buffer parts were from Sherluk.

Thanks.

I also sprayed some CLP on mine. Worked like a charm.

The lube helps the foam cover, but I'm not sure how much it'll help the metal-on-metal contact between the tube and stock.

Well, used CLP (not enough, it took me almost 10 minutes to put this on), but it worked great! Even got all of the pins and other small parts in the right locations. Here are the results:

IMG_0176.jpg

Looks good!!!
I found the included instructions largely useless, and sorta went by instinct myself. I inadvertantly mistplaced a spring, that took me a minute to find :)

Back
Top Bottom