1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Installing a Security Camera in a Condo Building - Need Advice on Cameras

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Broccoli Iglesias, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Long story short ... a scumbag keeps stealing mail from a condo building in Boston. 4 story building.

A guy reached out to me and asked for opinions on cameras. I dont know much, but I want to help with some research. Also, I want to help them bait that POS and have him/her arrested. Then post the video here.

I was thinking of pointing them to a Wireless system that records to the cloud and records on movement only. I'm guessing this would extend battery life and make it easier to find whoever steals something without having to look through hours of recording.

I was told the entire building has Comcast Wifi.

Why wireless? - No need to drill holes for cables. Can place it almost anywhere.

The idea would be to have one camera at the entrance pointing at the section where the post office and Amazon drop their mail.

What are your suggestions for good wireless cameras?

----‐-------------------

Before the inevitable "condos s*ck" comment. Yeah, I know. That's not what this thread is about and those guys are pro 2A.

2. nstassel

nstassel NES Member

Wyze are great for the money

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  3. atmay

atmay NES Member

I use Blink here at my condo. Wireless, cloud based, they make IP-rated cameras for outdoor applications.

Only major drawback is that they’re limited to a mobile app for playback.

4. BTSDOG

BTSDOG NES Member

I have five blink outdoor xt cameras and I like them. Easy setup, battery life is + - 2 yrs. they have all kinds of settings, will alert you when motion is detected, infrared for night vision, although it could be a little better. 1080 p high def, video is saved to cloud for I believe 30 days with no charge for storage. Plus their customer service is local, and excellent..Go to
    blinkforhome.com and check them out.....

Broccoli Iglesias, rosco61 and atmay like this.
  5. Yazz

Yazz NES Life Member NES Member

Are you Linda?

xjma99 and Broccoli Iglesias like this.
  6. quincy

quincy NES Member

I have two blinks installed on one of the floors of my condo building. Lots of motion detection limits battery life to about two months. You’re better off installing a FLIR high resolution system. 100% reliable and no batteries to change. You can have live views over internet and also access to the stored data on the DVR. It’s the best system we have for monitoring all of our outside doors, trash area, mail room, etc. Speco is also pretty good as well. I can view stored video on a smartphone app.

7. LuvToGoFast

LuvToGoFast NES Member

I’m very happy with my Arlo system

8. Broccoli Iglesias

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw the Arlo system. I was reading and said battery life is around 6 months with 5min of recording per day, but since this will go on an entrance, I am not sure it will work. It will record a lot more than 5min (my guess, since it's an entrance).

I will still put it as part of a list and send it over.

As far as the rest, I will check them out. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

9. Lucas McCain

Lucas McCain

Mail theft, call the postal inspector. They take that very seriously. As far as cameras, I like amcrest.

Energizer likes this.
  10. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I always hear good stuff about blink cameras and never anything bad.
    I know two people with them and they highly recommend them.

11. Broccoli Iglesias

And say what?

The guy already tried to file a stolen report. The reporte asks if there are pictures or saw who did it.

Im not sure what the PO could do without evidencie that someone actually stole something.

12. Lucas McCain

Lucas McCain

If this is a ongoing thing, they will take action.

Years ago, mail was disappearing from our route in Newton. The postal inspectors staked out the route and caught the letter carrier dumping mail in a storm drain.

They will take action.

13. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

You can add an external power source for the for the Arlo Go, Arlo Pro & Pro 2

upload_2019-7-12_9-40-58.png

14. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

If you are getting that much traffic, I'd skip Arlo. I have them and this god damn coyote pup is running up and down my driveway at night and if I didn't have the solar panel attached to it, I'd be out there swapping batteries every month. If you have AC outlets near the camera, you can plug it in. With the Pro 2 version, you can setup a zone for motion detection. Anything outside of that zone is ignored and will not trigger the camera.

15. Broccoli Iglesias

Good info man. Thanks.

16. Broccoli Iglesias

I live near by and have the same mail guy. He is awesome. He rings the bell and waits for acknowledgement that you know he is there so stuff doesnt get stolen. Of course, sometimes he has to drop things off. But he tries to hide them.

The Amazon people are the problem. They are hit or miss. For example: I had a guy not deliver a package one day because I wasn't home (he texted me several times and asked if there was a safe place to leave it). He took it and brought it back later. That guy was great.

But 99% of the time, the Amazon guy dumps it in the open, takes a pic and bails out. Eventually Amazon will catch up to people requesting new packages get shipped. I already had this happen with a cheap item.

In the building, the problem is with packages left in the entrance by Amazon, or, when the mail guy rings the bell but no one answers so they leave the package there. It then disappears (sometimes).

17. Energizer

Energizer NES Member

Ubiquiti is what I have (residential). I have the PoE (power over ethernet) cameras so only one cable for feed and power. i think they have a WiFi & battery line as well. Excellent resolution and capabilities for adjusting sensitivity, etc. I looked at Amcrest also.

18. commodon

commodon NES Member

I have an Arlo system as well, five cameras with a solar charging panel connected to each. As a result, the batteries always stay charged. More important, the cameras provide excellent night vision and I have no complaints