• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inspiring the next generation

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Spent the day at the range with 2 of my former students from the FIRST Robotics team I mentor.

One is now a Junior at UMass Lowell, studying Aeronautical Engineering (or something like that), the other graduated last year, and went right into the work force welding 50-60 hours per week.

Both of them were Boy Scouts, both were Eagle Scouts, both earned rifle merit badges.

For the engineering student, his firearms education didn't stop there, he has traveled this country far and wide, and shot some really fun things in far-flung places.

The welder on the other hand, never did more than a .22 rifle. He received an education today.

Started with Pistols.
Ruger MKIV
Smith and Wesson 659
Glock 23
Remington R1 Stainless 1911
Ruger GP100
Glock 20c

Walked welder through loading of magazines, then put the magazines down on the table, made him tell me the safety rules, we went and hung some targets, then I explained the workings of each handgun as we walked up the curve.

I threw a curveball at him with the GP100 and loaded 2 .357s and 4 .38 Specials in it, but he took it all in stride.

Ear to Ear grins.

His favorite was my Smith and Wesson 659 - said it just felt right in his hand.

After 90 minutes or so, we moved to rifles.

Remington 597 (.22LR)
Springfield Trapdoor - Model of 1884 (.45-70-405)
Yugo M48A Mauser (8mm Mauser)
Daewoo DR-200 (.223/5.56)
PTR-91 (.308)
AR-10 (.308)

Same pitch as before, loaded magazines, talked about what goes where, rules again, then we hung an 8 inch square plate at 100 yards, as well as a number of paper targets.

Ran the rifles in the order listed above, taking time to explain each control set, etc, pest practices, etc (good thing I had my engineering student handy, as both young men are lefties, and I am absolutely not) and we got him off and running.

The .22 could barely be heard when hitting the plate, just a faint "ting"
The Springfield made a good thump
The Mauser was magical (both of them loved it)
Both .308's were fun, with the AR-10 being enjoyed more than the PTR
The real fun was with the Daewoo. I went 30 for 30 with a single mag on the plate at 100 yards, then turned it over to my welding protege with a 10 round mag. His first go, he went 4 for 10, then 8 for 10 on his second mag. Grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

Engineering student was lighting the thing up with the Mauser too, and loving every minute of it.

All in all, the young men were beyond happy to have had this opportunity and thanked me profusely for the great time.

The Engineering student has been trying to get his FID for almost 3 years, but the CoP keeps moving his appointment JUST before the appointment day, then moving it to a day he is at school. Told him to keep at it, and if need be, get in touch with some of our wonderful advocacy groups to bring light to this situation, especially since it added $75 to his cost. (He has been trying to apply since 17)

Good times were had by all involved, in a safe and responsible manner!

Quick question....How many times did they check their Iphone during the range outing?

About as often as I did, which was zero times in total, we did check our Androids about 3-4 times and take pictures/video.

Welder was waiting on his schedule (his workflow station for the week is sent on Sunday afternoon) and the engineering student was awaiting midterm results. During target resets, or reloading breaks, we checked, but otherwise, they stayed in the sweatshirt/flannel pockets on the staging table.

You mentioned the FIRST Robotics team - not sure if you heard, but Woodie Flowers passed away over the weekend.

You mentioned the FIRST Robotics team - not sure if you heard, but Woodie Flowers passed away over the weekend.
Yes, very aware. When I was in High School in the mid 90's, I shared a lunch with him at a competition. We talked about science, robots, solving problems by thinking outside the box, and that wanting to win was fine, as long as you played fair and shared your technical knowledge to make the rest of the community better for your experience.

That would be the first I’ve ever heard of that...
Being said, FIDs are shall issue.

My reading of the chapter and verse seems to indicate that the licensing authority has discretion, which takes it from "shall issue" to "May issue"

"Notwithstanding other provisions of paragraph (1) to the contrary, the licensing authority may deny the application or renewal of a firearm identification card, or suspend or revoke a card issued under this section, if in the reasonable exercise of discretion, the licensing authority determines that the applicant or card holder is unsuitable to be issued or to continue to hold a firearm identification card. A determination of unsuitability shall be based on: (i) reliable and credible information that the applicant or card holder has exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests the applicant or card holder could potentially create a risk to public safety if issued a card; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that the applicant or card holder could potentially create a risk to public safety if issued a card. Upon denying an application or renewal of a card based on a determination of unsuitability, the licensing authority shall notify the applicant in a writing setting forth the specific reasons for such determination as set forth in paragraph (3). Upon revoking or suspending a card based on a determination of unsuitability, the licensing authority shall notify the holder of a license in a writing setting forth the specific reasons for such determination as set forth in paragraph (4). The determination of unsuitability shall be subject to judicial review as set forth in paragraph (5)."

My reading of the chapter and verse seems to indicate that the licensing authority has discretion, which takes it from "shall issue" to "May issue"

"Notwithstanding other provisions of paragraph (1) to the contrary, the licensing authority may deny the application or renewal of a firearm identification card, or suspend or revoke a card issued under this section, if in the reasonable exercise of discretion, the licensing authority determines that the applicant or card holder is unsuitable to be issued or to continue to hold a firearm identification card. A determination of unsuitability shall be based on: (i) reliable and credible information that the applicant or card holder has exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests the applicant or card holder could potentially create a risk to public safety if issued a card; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that the applicant or card holder could potentially create a risk to public safety if issued a card. Upon denying an application or renewal of a card based on a determination of unsuitability, the licensing authority shall notify the applicant in a writing setting forth the specific reasons for such determination as set forth in paragraph (3). Upon revoking or suspending a card based on a determination of unsuitability, the licensing authority shall notify the holder of a license in a writing setting forth the specific reasons for such determination as set forth in paragraph (4). The determination of unsuitability shall be subject to judicial review as set forth in paragraph (5)."
FID is "shall issue". If it wasn't, I wouldn't have one. I was denied LTC for being "unsuitable" because of my BCD from the military, but the LO told me that he had to issue me the FID because it is "shall issue" and I was not disqualified from having one.

FID is "shall issue". If it wasn't, I wouldn't have one. I was denied LTC for being "unsuitable" because of my BCD from the military, but the LO told me that he had to issue me the FID because it is "shall issue" and I was not disqualified from having one.
How long ago was this? The laws changed a couple years ago. That is when the parts I quoted were added.

I got my FID in March, 2017. The chief would have to go to court and present real evidence, not hearsay, that issuing a FID to me would endanger the public. My "crime" was refusing the mandatory anthrax vaccine. That led to my court martial and BCD.
I know it will surprise you to hear, it's possible your chief is not up to date.

B
I know it will surprise you to hear, it's possible your chief is not up to date.
Believe me, this guy was on top of his game. Air Force vet and pissed that I did not finish my service honorably. If he thought he could get away with a flat across-the-board denial, he would have. He denied the LTC straightaway. Couldn't do that with the FID, though.

I got my FID in March, 2017. The chief would have to go to court and present real evidence, not hearsay, that issuing a FID to me would endanger the public. My "crime" was refusing the mandatory anthrax vaccine. That led to my court martial and BCD.
The Chief would only have to go to court if you challenged it. He could very easily have said "Due to the BCD, the applicant has, in my judgement, an issue with following rules and regulations, and given the strict rules and regulations that come with firearm ownership, the applicant's past issues with authority lead me to believe the applicant is unsuitable."

In Massachusetts, the court could have very well sided with the Chief.

They have discretion. Shall issue would be more along the lines of "absent a statutory disqualification, the Chief shall issue an FID to any applicant." Because they leave it open to discretion, it is not, as a matter of law, Shall Issue.

The Chief would only have to go to court if you challenged it. He could very easily have said "Due to the BCD, the applicant has, in my judgement, an issue with following rules and regulations, and given the strict rules and regulations that come with firearm ownership, the applicant's past issues with authority lead me to believe the applicant is unsuitable."

In Massachusetts, the court could have very well sided with the Chief.

They have discretion. Shall issue would be more along the lines of "absent a statutory disqualification, the Chief shall issue an FID to any applicant." Because they leave it open to discretion, it is not, as a matter of law, Shall Issue.
The attorney that I consulted with specializes in MA firearms/weapons laws and is a gun owner himself. My offense isn't even a crime in civilian life. If your family doctor orders vaccines for you and you refuse, worse case is you get dropped as a patient. The intent of the limited- discretion FID law was to keep potential murderers from obtaining rifles and shotguns after being denied a LTC. Attorney said evidence of potential violence (social media threats, threats to commit crimes, etc.) would have to be presented to the court. The applicant would also be in court with his/her own evidence to the contrary, so it is not a slam-dunk ex-parte procedure like a 209A. The attorney told me that GOAL insisted on this language in order to avoid the "suitability" abuse that plagued LTC applicants for many decades. He also told me that if my court martial and BCD involved drug dealing, physical violence or the theft of USMC weapons, ammunition or explosives, I would certainly and justifiably be denied any firearms license, not just in MA but all other states as well.

Quick question....How many times did they check their Iphone during the range outing?
Touching the phone is a bad idea. You have lead dust on your hand, you touch the phone, then you answer a phone call and bring ther sh*t next to your face.

I dont care if anyone thinks I'm crazy, lol. It's a good excuse to not answer my phone or reply to anyone while I'm at the range.

Back
Top Bottom