• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inspector General Responds to GOAL's Additional Request

Did not see this posted anywhere yet...

1.gif

Inspector General Responds to GOAL's Additional Requests
On February 28, 2008 Gun Owners' Action League received a response regarding our requests for further investigations into illegal activities conducted by certain local firearm licensing agents. (Four More Towns Found to Be Overcharging Applicants) This latest communication from the Inspector General's Office states that while there may be additional violations in other municipalities, this state agency considers the matter to have already been decided. Further, it is up to GOAL to use the agency's previous ruling on the City of Cambridge to enforce the law in other communities.

"First I would like to commend the Inspector's General's office for their professional and courteous manner in which they worked with GOAL on this matter," said Jim Wallace Executive Director of GOAL. "That being said however, I am astounded that a state agency has asked a non-profit corporation to take the responsibility of enforcing the laws. At this point I believe our next step is the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office."

IG0002.JPG

http://www.goal.org/news/IGresponse.htm
http://mass.gov/ig/publ/cambridgegun.pdf
http://www.goal.org/news/feeviolations.htm

Last edited:
Seems to me that the IG's office is shirking it's responsibility. The IG's office should send a blanket letter to every city and town in the Commiewealth ordering them to comply with the law. It's NOT GOAL's responsibility.

We are also concerned that at least two of these towns are requiring an affidavit from a physician.
This is less clear-cut, because a chief could declare that anyone without such an affidavit is an unsuitable person. While there is room for the Scrivs to argue this, it's not as clear cut as the fee issue.

Also, there is the issue of refunding past overcharges.

I wonder if there are enough licensees for some bored attorney to file a class action case against Cambridge?

"You're more recent correspondence"? 16 years and change of practice and Ms. Hansberry can't proof a document that goes out with her signature?

Wait a minute if GOAL is now tasked with enforcing Mass laws can we ask GOAL to ignore the AWB???

This might work out well for us, with GOAL running things we can finally get some real freedom!!!

I wonder if the State Legislators will ask GOAL to start passing the laws too. Let's just let GOAL run the whole state soup to nuts!!!!!

Writ of Mandamus

Acutally, I just like saying "writ of mandamus".[grin]

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't think it really applies here directly. But...

If one submits and application, along with the proper, by law, fee to the PD that overcharges, what happens?

If they don't process the app (or refuse to accept it), could a Writ of Mandamus be filed that would insist that they do their job? Yes, it would cost to do that and defeat the insistance on the proper, lesser fee.

They couldn't deny the license, because that would get them in court where they'd have to lose (wouldn't they have to?). Of course, again more expense.

It's all ridicuilous. Imagine any town overcharging on any other fee -- and there are plenty of them that for which the overcharge would be on PC darlings -- and the BGlobe would be doing a series. TV "I-team" type "protectors of the public" would be getting lots of face time aided by round-the-clock self-congratulatory promos.

Absurd.

"You're more recent correspondence"? 16 years and change of practice and Ms. Hansberry can't proof a document that goes out with her signature?

That grammar error caught my eye as well. The IG's office is saying, that cities and towns shouldn't be overcharging. If you want it fixed, fix it yourself. Isn't that wonderful?
Best Regards.

I wish when I was in Troop 49 with Greg Sullivan, that I had taken more time with him working on his marksmanship Merit Badge, maybe he'd be more pro-gun now.

He seemed like a nice guy, and comes from a good family, his father being Judge George Sullivan from Norwood and Walpole.

I'm pretty sure that what they mean by
"use the agency's previous ruling on the City of Cambridge to enforce the law in other communities"
is that they want GOAL to sue those other towns.

Call "Help me Hank" Phillippe Ryan at Ch. 7 and maybe they can help.

Here you go, Joe.

Put the whole thing in the box, and send to her. I'd say keep it as generic as possible in your seeking help (avoid the gun topic until she gets back to you). Maybe ask the group here first before sending, and they can proof it for you.

http://www1.whdh.com/newsteam/?id=19

I thought this was a ridiculous response as well, until I looked into the purpose of the IG. Their mission, from MGL Chap 12A Sec 7, and reiterated on their their webpage...

The office of inspector general shall act to prevent and detect fraud, waste and abuse in the expenditure of public funds, whether state, federal, or local, or relating to programs and operations involving the procurement of any supplies, services, or construction, by agencies, bureaus, divisions, sections, departments, offices, commissions, institutions and activities of the commonwealth, including those districts, authorities, instrumentalities or political subdivisions created by the general court and including the cities and towns.

I'm surprised the IG didn't tell GOAL to go screw from the start, although maybe if GOAL thought they would get a favorable opinion from the IG it would give them more traction when they approach the AG?

Back
Top Bottom