• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inside the pant holster?

IWB holsters are great for concealment, but not as good for presentation as regular pancake holsters.

When I was looking for an IWB holster for a M&P compact, I looked at Galco first, but could only find the Summer Comfort model. I am not familiar with that model, but have used a Galco Royal Guard model with come success with another carry pistol.

Generally, with a leather IWB holster you want the suede portion to be on the outside; the rougher texture cuts down on the holster shifting laterally on the belt, or yawing. The Summer Comfort holster does not appear to have the exterior suede advantage (you may want to check on this with Galco).

Another thing to look for is natural coloring. Dye in IWB holsters can leach or run due to contact with sweat, which can do a number on portions of your wardrobe.

I finally decided to get a FIST holster in Ultra Thin Kydex for my M&P Compact. It does not have the suede roughness noted above, but that can be remedied if you want. The K6 models have a number of useful options, including choice of belt attachment style and size (and you can swap one for another), choice of cant, and choice of thickness (thin or ultra thin). Take a look at:

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

Personally, I prefer the single attachment point type found on the K6 models (I have two of them I use all the time). I do not like the holsters with the spread out double attachments (see, the K1 or the Hybrids for examples). Thus, I sacrifice some stability for concealment. My choice. The kydex holsters will retain their shape, not close at the top, will not run colors, and are impervious to chemicals. They work for me.

One caveat: I order loops for 1.5” and 1.25” belts. I find that the loops are a bit large, but I can live with it. The next size smaller are just slightly too small to fit on the belt (e.g., a 1.25” loop will jus barely not fit on a 1.5” belt). This could be cured by stretching, but I haven’t reached that point yet.

If you have any questions, either post them or PM me.

Amicus

I prefer Kydex IWB holsters with full belt loops as opposeds to j-hooks or clips. Kydex is thinner than leather and stays open under the tension of a belt better than many leather holsters.

Sidearmor, Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, and FIST area ll good brands. I prefer than in the order listed.

The belt you use is also of upmost importance. I like the Wilderness Instructor Belts. If you want leather there are several good makers. Look for something with double thickness. 1 1/4" is the minimum with 1.5 inches being better and 1 3/4 being the best if you can get away with it.

With any Holster the belt is often over looked. A good belt can make a fair holster a lot better. Double thickness belts are almost a must.

One other thing to consider with IWB is how your pants fit. If they are tight now at the waist they're gonna be real tight when you insert a holster on one side and a mag holder on the other. You might need to buy bigger pants.

That said, I use a Wild Bill's Concealment Southern Comfort IWB for my Officer's Model. However he is a one man shop and I understand many, many weeks behind.

Hope that helps,

Crossbreed super tuck deluxe.
I got one for my Kel-Tec PF-9. With a t-shirt you would not even notice or feel it there.
Also two week trial. [money back].

I bought a Super Tuck about 8 months ago.

I only bought it because it was the only tuckable holster for a S&W K frame that did not have a six month long wait.

The concept is good but the execution leave much to be desired.

The clips they were using back then were complete shit. They could not be snapped over the belt. The belt had to be threaded through. And the slots for the belt were narrow enough that my most commonly used belt did not fit. I had to spend more money (and time) to order a set of CTAC clips from Comp Tac before I could use my new holster. Strike one.

The kydex was molded very haphazardly to the contours of the gun, making retention nearly non-existent. I had to spend nearly two hours heating the material up and slowly molding it around the gun to get decent retention. Compared to the molding of my J frame CTAC, the Crossbreed was done very amateurishly. Strike two.

There are several holes for the threaded inserts that you screw the clips to. The have these sharp prongs that are hammered into the leather. It is impossible to move those inserts to another hole and sink the barbs in without whatever tool was used to install them by the maker. This made the holster's "great" adjustability a moot point. Strike three.

I am probably two weeks away from receiving a beatifully handcrafted all leather tuckable from K&D Holsters for both my S&W Model 65 and Model 915. They actually cost the same as the Supertuck ($65) but Kevin Manely's products are in such demand that he has a 16 week backlog. By all accounts his products are well worth the wait:

cochise-brown-bg-2-s.jpg

My recommendation would be to get a leather holster from some of the makers that make quality products but have not gotten so big that their wait times are ridiculous. I see Martlet mentioned Southern Holsters. I haven't seen one in person but if the pictures are any indication, they should be superb. It also looks like his wait time is pretty reasonable.

Another holster maker I have experience with is Jim Murnak from FIST Holsters. I occasionally carry my Model 65 in his #9 Close Cropped Basic:
9.jpg

And just ordered a #20 Adjustable IWB for my J frame:
20.jpg

FIST is currently running a 3 to 5 week lead time.

I used basic Uncle Mike's holsters for years without a single problem (for my S&W 6904). They are way cheap. I know a lot of people who don't like them, but that are very comfortable for me.

I'll add another +2 (I have 2) for Comp Tac. Quick turn around time on your order, super comforatble, good retention, and they conceal really well. Just my .02\

ETA - They are for a Glock 23 and 30... so similar size to your intended carry piece.

For IWB carry I use one of the nylon styles, mine tucks down real low and tight to me, only the grip is showing above my pantline (I think it's Uncle mikes if I remember right). I use a BlackHawk Serpa 2 for outside carry.

I like to have something that has a strap also, I don't like the kind that you just push the gun into and hope it stays. I move around to much and found those open top style don't keep the gun in (to my likeing).

As someone said remember you may need larger pants and I'll add the belt also. I wear my pants alittle larger anyway so I just have to remember to buy a larger belt, I would say 2 to 4 sizes larger (to be able to wear it without buggin you).

As far as carry I used to carry a full size 1911, but I now carry a full size S&W M&P 40 and it concels very nicly. My bear paws are to big for small guns.

Last edited:
I have a MTAC from Comp-Tac and it is very comfortable. It has a wide leather backing against your body that spreads out the pressure from the gun and a kydex mold to hold the gun. It is easily adjusted for cant and height and makes my M&P 9c disappear under a shirt. You can even tuck in your shirt with it. I received mine less than a week after ordering.

www.ubgholsters.com

This is Nate from Ugly Bald Guy Holsters. I've posted my story before.

Hi Nate

I like the look of your stuff, I will be contacting you, I'm wondering though on your mag holders, I like a single or duel holder with a belt clip and a flap that go's over the mag to hide them, in black color. As far as the holster I like something that go's over the gun to hold it in (strap, clip). Do you make mag holders or a holster like that ???

David

Last edited:
I like to have something that has a strap also, I don't like the kind that you just push the gun into and hope it stays. I move around to much and found those open top style don't keep the gun in (to my likeing).

If you bought properly boned leather holsters or properly molded kydex holsters you wouldn't need a "strap". I'm assuming that's what you call a thumbreak.

www.ubgholsters.com

This is Nate from Ugly Bald Guy Holsters. I've posted my story before. Current turn around is 3 to 5 weeks.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26316

Hey Nate, your holsters look kick ass.

Why no tuckables? I hardly wear mine as such, but their beauty is that they work perfectly as regular IWBs and can switch to really deep cover for those occasions where even more concealment is desirable.

I think your Canute can be easily turned into a tuckable IWB with a minor alteration to the pattern.

I'm sorry if I miss lead anybody on my post. I'm not Nate, nor do I play him on TV.[wink]

I was refering to the link to UBG and that the owners name is Nate.

He's top notch to deal with.

If you bought properly boned leather holsters or properly molded kydex holsters you wouldn't need a "strap". I'm assuming that's what you call a thumbreak.

Yes I meen a thumbreak, I just said strap to keep it simple. I probaly should have said strap than but thumbreak in ().

I like to keep things easy to understand, I've lost count of how many others like to let there fingers do there talking [smile] as to what they think is best for everyone else. As I said I like a strap (thumbreak) [smile] for my body style [smile] and how I wear it.

Well I suppose it's personal preference as far as the thumb break, but I've jumped fences 3 or 4 in a row, as well as ran at a good clip with my full size M&P .40 in my C.T.A.C. and the thing didn't budge.

I don't have any leather so I can't compare, but I have used an Uncle Mike's for a S&W 910 9mm, and I didn't like it at all, slid all around, pulled hard on my pants, uncomfortable to sit and drive with, cheap yea, not so good though.

Back
Top Bottom