Inside Missouri’s ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary’ Fight: A new law puts Missouri at the vanguard of states challenging federal authority on guns

Reptile

NES Member

Inside Missouri’s ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary’ Fight​

A new law puts Missouri at the vanguard of states challenging federal authority on guns. It began as a backlash, and it has set off another.
OZARK, Mo. — Brad Cole is a fiery defender of the Second Amendment, a set-jawed lawman with a lacquered alligator head on his desk, a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum on his hip and a signed picture of himself with former President Donald J. Trump on his office wall.
Sheriff Cole, of Christian County, considers himself part of the constitutional sheriff movement, which contends that the federal government is subordinate to local authorities in most law-enforcement matters. Yet this year he found himself in the unusual position of pushing back against Republican state lawmakers ramming through a bill to punish local departments for collaborating with federal authorities on gun cases deemed to be in violation of Second Amendment rights.
“Anytime you take away a tool from us to do our job and protect the people we serve, well, I’m going to have a huge problem with that,” said Sheriff Cole, a Republican who worked with several other sheriffs from deep-red southern Missouri to modify the bill before it passed in May on a party-line vote.
“It’s just a terribly written law,” he said.
Even with the changes, the Second Amendment Preservation Act represents a challenge to federal authority that Biden administration officials and other critics see as a clear-cut violation of the Constitution’s supremacy clause, which prohibits states from passing laws that nullify federal statutes.

Last month, the Justice Department filed an affidavit supporting an effort by the city and county of St. Louis to strike down the law in state court, saying it had already hamstrung weapons and drug investigations. The judge in the case recently rejected a request to keep the law from going into effect, and, in response, Attorney General Merrick Garland is considering a federal lawsuit, according to two administration officials.

At the heart of the law is an audacious declaration — that all state firearms laws “exceed” the federal government’s power to track, register and regulate guns and gun owners.

The law, however, is as vague as it is expansive: Its authors did not focus on any specific federal law or policy, and state officials say they will not try to stop federal agents from executing raids, conducting background checks for gun buyers or enforcing existing laws, like the prohibition on gun purchases by felons.
But the law features a provision, the first of its kind in the nation, that allows Missourians to sue local law departments that give “material aid and support” to federal agents — defined as data sharing, joint operations, even social media posts — in violation of citizens’ perceived Second Amendment rights.
The law’s sponsors say that mechanism is protective and proactive, intended to counter Democratic gun-control efforts, especially President Biden’s attempts to ban semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines. As one of its co-authors, State Senator Eric Burlison, put it, the bill was intended to tell Democrats considering new restrictions to “pound sand.”

Continues...​

Missouri is another world, for sure.

Possibly the funniest oddity of Ozark on Netflix is that they portray guns as scary and that few have them - usually bad guys. Not the case in Missouri. LOL

Where be our resident Missourans? Missouriites? Missuvians? Whatever.

Working in the area and staying with family in Missouri. This is my Mom's bank:

XyR67ti.jpg

After work yesterday I scored several hundred rounds of 7.62x39, a few lbs of TiteGroup $29/lb and Ramshot TAC $24/lb, and a case of cheap 5.56 projectiles. No primers, but good stock of everything else. Nearly all new Glocks are under $520.

@timbo is still trying to get there.

Funny thing about "conservative, constitutional, Republicans" in that part of the world: many of them love control, and don't want to give it up.

Directly to the south of Christian County, are Stone and Taney Counties. Stone is home to Silver Dollar City (a theme park that is 100% about America, apple pie, and gospel music); Taney is home to the Herschend family who founded SDC.

The Herschends are very much conservative, Christian, Republicans. Pete is more politically active than his brother Jack, but they both fought against shall-issue concealed carry and constitutional carry, and they ban guns in their park.

@timbo is still trying to get there.

Funny thing about "conservative, constitutional, Republicans" in that part of the world: many of them love control, and don't want to give it up.

Directly to the south of Christian County, are Stone and Taney Counties. Stone is home to Silver Dollar City (a theme park that is 100% about America, apple pie, and gospel music); Taney is home to the Herschend family who founded SDC.

The Herschends are very much conservative, Christian, Republicans. Pete is more politically active than his brother Jack, but they both fought against shall-issue concealed carry and constitutional carry, and they ban guns in their park.
I am indeed...21 more days and I'm outta here! Hopefully Xiden doesn't shut down intersate travel with his new found powers.LOL o_O

RE: Your last comment....So...they're what we would call fudds around here ;)

Missouri is another world, for sure.

Possibly the funniest oddity of Ozark on Netflix is that they portray guns as scary and that few have them - usually bad guys. Not the case in Missouri. LOL

On my way, three weeks and a day from today (but who's counting) I'll be on my way...

You need Waze.

Waze regards Donk coronavirus roadblock traffic jams as damage,
and routes around them.
If I was somewhat familiar with the route I might use it but I'll be dragging a 12' enclosed trailer and from my experience WAZE will put you through some pretty dicy areas

If I was somewhat familiar with the route I might use it but I'll be dragging a 12' enclosed trailer and from my experience WAZE will put you through some pretty dicy areas
Waze isn't taking you off the interstates without a reason.
But it's the most convenient way to see a sudden backup ahead
and bail before you run out of exit ramps.

I'll check it out...How data intensive is it? I don't have an unlimited data plan.

What does it mean to be a "second amendment sanctuary"? Can I move to Missouri and be able to buy off the shelf full auto HK MP7s?

What does it mean to be a "second amendment sanctuary"?
Compared to expectations? Absolutely nothing.

As a practical matter, if it's written correctly, it means that state/local police cannot enforce any federal gun laws, nor assist the feds in their enforcement.

This "Anything built entirely in our state is exempt from federal law" has been nonsense since Wickard v. Filburn in 1942. By the standard handed down in that case, everything is interstate commerce that can't be shielded from federal control.

I'll check it out...How data intensive is it? I don't have an unlimited data plan.
Looks to me like round trip Mass<->Jersey Shore and back should take <150MB Waze and <100MB Google.
(I don't know what Google's doing, and it may well not be any services on behalf of Waze,
but I'm not gonna BS you that this mystery load doesn't exist).

The Bride and I share 4GB/month, and the only time I used as much as 1.8GB
was listening to SiriusXM Android app in my car while tooling around town on
a Saturday of yardsaling. SiriusXM consumed like 450MB doing nothing useful.
If it wasn't for that, my personal high water mark (doing other things)
would have been south of 1.7GB in a single month.

Biggest factor:
I never watch a speck of YoutUbe or other video using mobile data.
Second biggest:
No SiriusXM using mobile data.

In Missouri until Tuesday. On the way in last week, I ignored a waze reroute early in the trip and greatly regretted that decision later.

Back
Top Bottom