Insensitive Shark Merchandise Terrorized Cape Cod

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no joke: Shark merchandise removed from Cape Cod Christmas Tree Shops amid complaints
Merchandise making light of shark attacks has been stripped from the shelves of Christmas Tree Shops around Cape Cod due to complaints from residents who said the language and images on the items were inappropriate following two serious incidents last year between people and the apex predators — one of which resulted in a man’s death.

One of the items removed from the stores was a notepad featuring a drawing of a smiling great white shark. At the top of the pad it said “Send more tourists,” and at the bottom, “the last ones were delicious.”

A second item no longer for sale was a kitchen towel that pictured a great white shark popping out of the water, below the words “Shark Week.” The bottom of the towel read, “Nice to Eat You.”

Heather Doyle, co-chairwoman of the Cape Cod Ocean Community, an active online group focused on “surveillance, deterrence, detection, and Community awareness” about sharks off the Cape, said members pointed out the items in a discussion on the group’s Facebook page recently.

Members mobilized — not in a “militant way,” she clarified — and reached out to the chain’s corporate offices about what they deemed inappropriate products.

“Our reality is going to be sharks on everything; sharks on this — but when you start to personify sharks as evil animals that are hunting people and smiling ... it’s probably not a lane we want to go down,” said Doyle, who went to two of the stores to see the products for herself and take pictures.
-----------
“We are a home of sharks, and I’m fine with that. We’re not crazy. We understand that,” she said. “But to exploit the hunting theme is a line we should not cross over. If we want tourists to keep coming here and tourists to feel safe, then these [themes around humans versus sharks] need to be abandoned really quickly.”

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee, I wonder if our Jewish friends can "mobilize but not in a militant way" and tell them their Christmas stuff is inappropriate and that it triggers them.
Shark marketing on Cape a balance of sales and sensitivity
Members of Cape Cod Ocean Community — of which Doyle is co-chairwoman — complained on their Facebook page and contacted corporate offices of the Christmas Tree Shops, which removed the controversial items from store locations on Cape Cod.

“It is never our intention to offend customers by our merchandise assortment,” Jessica Joyce, a spokeswoman for Bed Bath & Beyond, which owns the Christmas Tree Shops, said in an email to the Times Tuesday. “We appreciate all customer feedback and understand this is a sensitive issue toward which many people have different feelings.”

But shark-themed items remain popular souvenirs in stores across the Cape, raising concerns about whether they are making light of the potential for dangerous encounters as well as disrespecting people who have been attacked.

“It’s not cute,” said Marc Angelillo, an Orleans surfer and paddleboarder who said he regularly encounters great white sharks in Cape waters.

“Other retailers need to be extremely conscientious and sensitive,” said Angelillo, a member of Cape Cod Ocean Community, which advocates for shark detection research and the development of safety plans and devices.

“It’s not a game,” he said. “Someone lost a life.”

On the Lower Cape especially, images of sharks are ubiquitous and can be found in everything from garden stakes to bottle openers.
---------------------
“There’s more there than we know,” Angelillo said. “It’s inevitable (an attack) is going to happen again.

“Retailers should help spread the word, not make light of it or make fun of it,” he said.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They should go to MV and remove all those "Jaws filmed here" gift shop items. And, ban the movie, of course.

It is sad that a group of people have so little going on in their lives that worrying about shark gifts is all they have.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Seals. The other white meat.

I hate that friggen place. Went in to the Orleans store once because we were with other couples and the girls wanted to go. It was once too often for me thank you.

I saw plenty of shark stuff being worn in Chatham when I was down 2 weeks ago for work and I'm sure the quality of the stuff was better than the crap from Building 19.2.1 AKA Christmas Tree Shop.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the chair woman of The Cape Cod Ocean Community, the entity behind this push to ban this stuff, was trying to crowd fund $200k for "smart buoys" that could detect sharks via sonar. This was after the guy died recently from a shark attack. They didn't make their goal, falling $166k short, and had to return funds.

Meanwhile, the arguably more effective method is to cull the seal population with an open hunting season on seals, which even some environmentalists would promote. It's no secret the seal population has been booming, and as such, the sharks have been back in numbers. So instead of having a free, or even potential profit option for the city if you factor in hunting permits, she was chasing this questionable sonar type device that would only alert people, not get to the root of the problem.

Would be interesting to know her stance on seal culling, 'cause if she's adamantly against it, she's being a little hypocritical.

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, now that they done that, it’s ok to grab a surfboard,
Donn your sealblood spf 50 and get on in that tide.

It’s all good now

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My wife loves the Vineyard Vines product line. One day she is in one of the shops and spies a "shark week" shirt. It had the VV whale with a shark fin tied to it's back. She loves that shirt!

Whiskeywon

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Halloween will be next! [bs]
How can Halloween be next? I think I was basically part of the last generation to actually get to have real fun with it. It’s been trunk or treat, done by 6 and other stupid shit like that since then. What left is there to attack besides the costume war that’s already been going on.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can Halloween be next? I think I was basically part of the last generation to actually get to have real fun with it. It’s been trunk or treat, done by 6 and other stupid shit like that since then. What left is there to attack besides the costume war that’s already been going on.
Wait when Western Massachusetts will reach the $ht tsunami from the East. Enjoy your freedom, my friend. We are living the commie future already! :mad:
Halloween Pics Cost Medford Police Union President
baldasaro.jpg

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im all for it because I think it is our responsibility since we let the population get out of hand but aside from it being a federal thing, I'm not sure you'd get enough local support down here for seal culling. Along with all the "OMG seals are so cute" protect the seals touch feely bullshit from the tourists and seal tour industry you have to deal with the liberals and old people here too. Good luck convincing anyone north of Orleans to kill anything.

P.s. please stop coming down here for
stripers and throwing your scraps to the seals in the harbor. It makes them crazy and they try to jump in my boat o_O
Chechen & Chong had the answer to conservation way back...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaXQeRPO0g

Lone Wolf McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Great White Shark decal on my Escape with the phrase " Snack Attack "
Got a couple negative comments in the past year LOL. Told them to stay of of the water and have a nice day.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well I'm offended. Those things just triggered me.

Although I have to be honest - I'm coming off of a Stage 5 trigger from this morning's Dunks run. The young person-who's-gender-I-did-not-assume told me to "have a nice day." How dare . . . . "it" say that? Talk about oppression. DEMANDING I have a nice day. What if I WANT a bad day??? How dare "it"!!!!

So yeah, funny towels and stuff - totally offended right now. I may never go back to Crapmiss Tree Shop again. . . . which I was last in in 1990-something.

Top Bottom