Inline and wind

peterk123

NES Member
Brought the inline to the range today. We had a stiff crosswind coming from the right, I'm guessing 20mph plus. Shooting a 250 grain Hornady XTP, my shots were hitting about four inches right, one was even further. Elevation was right on.

I was surprised that a breeze at such a short distance with a bullet weight 250 grains could pushed around. Same thing was happening to my buddy.

Would I encounter the same issue with let's say a 308 shooting a 165 grain spitzer bullet? Currently I only shoot an inline so I have no experience with other rifles.

It was fun compensating for it though :)

Thanks Pete

I’d expect a .45 cal is impacted by a crosswind more than a .30 cal bullet? Also moving slower than say a .308.

I’d expect a .45 cal is impacted by a crosswind more than a .30 cal bullet? Also moving slower than say a .308.
I have been searching around online and, yup they can drift quite a bit. The 45 caliber is traveling about 1800 fps out of the muzzle. I think 308 speeds are closer to 2600 fps. Pretty cool thing to deal with at the range. I love shooting the inline, or rather a rifle. Maybe more than our handguns. I will be purchasing a bolt action before long. Wish I had some longer ranges to play with.

You should shoot a Sharps in 45/70 with a 535 grain bullet. 4" at 100 yards with 20mph+ wind would be an amazing day.

Back
Top Bottom