• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Injured right hand, carry advice?

Went down on my motorcycle over the weekend... F&cked up my right hand and im right handed. I carry iwb at about 3:30... Cant draw from the right anymore and left handed draw is really awkward. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, start making it less awkward. Get a good holster, something kydex, not this leather crap that slows you down. Practice dry firing with it in a safe location. The more handling you do the less awkward it will be. All you can really do is start training, and building strength in your left hand, the better off you'll be... not to mention you'll have a nice advantage once you heal up that a lot of people are too lazy to pursue. Look at it as a learning opportunity, however difficult it might be.

-Mike

Which pistol are you carrying? Which holster? Someone might have an extra that they can loan you.

What other pistols do you have? Any other options?

I typically carry the same (RH3:30) but I have issues with my right so I sometimes have to switch. I've also found that pocket carrying something smaller (LCP) in my left is helpful too.

Good luck

Aloha

Shoulder holster??? Or go with a shoulder mounted cannon...

fark_wo0RCW13UcWxa0dhzLSkDMnBC1g.jpg

Make Marsha shit a cat... [rofl2]

Actually, if you carry a 1911, I have a shoulder holster that I'm not using... PM me if interested.

If it were me, I think I'd buy a south paw holster and start practicing. Chances are though, right around the time you get good with the off hand, your strong side will be healthy again.

Well, start making it less awkward. Get a good holster, something kydex, not this leather crap that slows you down. Practice dry firing with it in a safe location. The more handling you do the less awkward it will be. All you can really do is start training, and building strength in your left hand, the better off you'll be... not to mention you'll have a nice advantage once you heal up that a lot of people are too lazy to pursue. Look at it as a learning opportunity, however difficult it might be.

-Mike

This x1000. I practice shooting regularly with my right and left hand. With a handgun, eye dominance won't matter.

-Mike

This! If your going to carry, part of your training should be off hand just in case something happen to your strong hand in a shoot out. You should be able to draw,load,unload,and fire with both hands.If you live near the Dedham area I could help you with that..

Does the right hand trigger finger still work? You could duct tape the gun to your hand and just walk around with it hidden in your pocket.

-Mike

I plan on practicing with the left from here on out... Since i cant use my right now. But in the mean time ill just end up fumbling with it if i do need to draw my weapon. I carry an LC9 and will get a left handed iwb. I like the crossbread style holsters.

My issue is the mean time. I dont feel comfortable enough to draw with the left... Shooting left is not as much of an issue as drawing. Also theres the down time of waiting for a holster to ship.

Which pistol are you carrying? Which holster? Someone might have an extra that they can loan you.

What other pistols do you have? Any other options?

I typically carry the same (RH3:30) but I have issues with my right so I sometimes have to switch. I've also found that pocket carrying something smaller (LCP) in my left is helpful too.

Good luck

Aloha

I carry the lc9 with a desantis leather/kydex iwb holster. Gonna order the same in left handed asap.

Tho i have other pistols the lc9 is my ideal carry. I like the pocket carry idea... Im gonna give that a shot. Thank u!

This! If your going to carry, part of your training should be off hand just in case something happen to your strong hand in a shoot out. You should be able to draw,load,unload,and fire with both hands.If you live near the Dedham area I could help you with that..

What kind of help did u have in mind? (Body guard as mentioned above? Lol). The issue is the drawing left handed and not so much the firing... Also racking the slide is also difficult now with out using the right hand.

Buy a left-handed holster and start practicing with it.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am left handed and I can draw and shoot ok with my right hand. I won't win a western quick draw match and I probably can't won one left handed either. But I can protect myself and I'm sure you can too. Now you have a reason to go to the range. Sorry for your accident and your injury.

Pocket carry would seem like the easiest option if you have something small enough. If I am not pocket carrying I use an Elite Survival IWB holster, its cheap and it has the option to run the belt clip on either side of the holster so you could use it lefty for now and then swap the clip back so you can still use it on your right side later when your hand heals.

Just noticed the racking the slide comment. 4S has an LCR .38 right now for $279. Thats pretty cheap, fits in a pocket, and has no slide!

What kind of help did u have in mind? (Body guard as mentioned above? Lol). The issue is the drawing left handed and not so much the firing... Also racking the slide is also difficult now with out using the right hand.

How to carry,draw,shoot,and reload with the weak hand. This is with a revolver,and a semi-auto pistol.

only been at this a few years, but my lgs told me when i got started to learn/practice left hand just in case

within a few range trips i was as comfortable with my left as my right with a ruger lcr .38+p---good lesson here for anyone who doesn't practice with the off hand--get started

-Mike

Bestest answer.

When your all healed up by a second gun and carry them both, then you can dual wield[smile]

Back
Top Bottom