• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Initial feedback on the new Modulus HD jig.

First reviews are starting to come in on the new jigs. All the feedback has been nothing short of spectacular.

HIGH QUALITY PRODUCT
Posted by Nick on 23rd Dec 2015

In researching AR jigs, I found that this is probably one of the best out there. The "Heavy Duty" jig has hardened steel inserts that, if used properly, according to the instructions, will last for prolonged use. I like the included depth gauge and the fact that a router is used for the milling operation rather than a drill press as is the case with many of Modulus's competitors. A drill press is great for drilling, but does not make a good "mill". I like the fact that the jig is adaptable to any manufacturer's Mil Spec lower. The company (Modulus Arms) has great customer service and their product is very high quality. I would definitely recommend their Heavy Duty jig to anyone who desires to mill their own 80% lower receivers .

THIS IS THE JIG YOU WANT!
Posted by Phil in NC on 23rd Dec 2015

After doing a bit of research, I decided the Modulus Arms Heavy Duty Universal Jig was the way to go. The jig arrived one day earlier than estimated, which was great. I was impressed with the jig right out of the box. A couple of friends have jigs from other companies, and this jig is a much better design. The extra-wide top plate is the most obvious improvement over other designs, providing an extremely stable "interface" for your router. I ordered a Modulus Arms 80% AR15 lower with my jig and it fit perfectly. As a comparison, I installed a stripped lower from another company in the jig. It also fit with no issues. I have read some reviews of this jig that complained about the large amount of screws used to hold the jig together and how long it takes to change plates, etc. This may be a problem if you are trying to crank out several lowers an hour (lol), but since my "production rate" is a modest 4-5 lowers a year, I appreciate the added stability of having enough screws to properly hold the jig and lower in position. Compared to a friend's jig from another company, it probably takes five minutes longer to change plates with the Modulus. If five minutes is an issue with you, you probably should be using a program-able CNC machine instead of a jig! I was able to complete my lower in less than two hours at a very leisurely pace. I am a technical writer (and aircraft mechanic) and I found the instructional video and written instructions to be top-notch! I'm pretty sure that time will be cut in half on the next lower I do. The lower looks great. I'll review the lower once I start assembly, but so far, the results are impressive. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a little mechanical apptitude and the ability to follow instructions. It's fun to build your own AR15. It's even more fun to build it from a lower receiver you finished yourself! Great job, Modulus!

SOLID
Posted by Unknown on 12th Dec 2015

Solid jig. Arrived and it looks to be quality. Haven't used it but can't wait.

BEST UNIVERSAL JIG
Posted by Ibbs on 12th Dec 2015

I have used both ar15 jigs they have. This jig is more durable due to the steel inserts. This jig works great if you want to use a drill press and move the mill vice instead of using a router. Well worth the money.

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD JIG
Posted by Jeff on 12th Dec 2015

The jig is great easy to use works perfectly.

LOOKS GREAT! CAN'T WAIT TO PUT IT TO GOOD USE!
Posted by Robert Taylor on 8th Dec 2015

Just received my heavy duty jig. I took advantage of the special which included the tool kit for free. Sweet! I mounted it to a known-good lower and everything lines up perfectly. The steel bushings will allow multiple uses without appreciable wear. Can't wait to put it to use.

BEST JIG ON THE MARKET
Posted by Mike on 2nd Dec 2015

Hands down this is THE BEST jig out on the market right now for completing an 80% lower using a handheld trim router.

Prior to this jig coming out I was debating between getting the Modulus original jig or the Tactical Machining jig. The universal capability of the Modulus jig was a huge selling point, but I also liked how the TM had drill guides....but with the TM you had to buy an additional router plate which drove the cost up and narrowed the field.

The ONLY critique I have on this product is that I wish there was a way to have an 308AR/AR10 conversion for this jig, but I don't see how that's possible based on its construction.

Suggested improvement - build a plywood stand and cut/mill the plywood so the jig sits flush, then drill and countersink two holes in the jig to hold it securely to the plywood. Larger routers can be used without the wobble near the edge.

I even screw the stand to my bench and rest the side supports on the bench so I get no flex.

More review stuff on the jig.

1). I don't like the drill pattern, sides or pockets. The Ares Armor works much better on both, as it fits on the drill press better and the full drill pattern for the pockets is much easier to mill.
2) This is the best milling jig EVER. I have done four lowers with one end mill (billet clogged the flutes - but could get nocked loose after I realized what happened)
Also the plywood table extension makes life so much easier - no wobble of the router.
3) Repeatability and consistent results are excellent.
4) Plunge cutting is possible (on the trigger slot for example) again with excellent results.
5) I had 4 different sourced lowers, all fit without issue.

The Aries jig needed hand milling for one Lower and the other jig has no drill plate

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom