Inheriting Out Of State Firearms

I am traveling out of state to visit a relative this week. He said he wants me to take his guns since he's too old to use them and does not want to sell them. I couldn't find an answer on the legality of brining guns into MA from out of state and registering them. Will a simple FA10 do once I get back to Mass? Or does and FFL have to get involved?

I am traveling out of state to visit a relative this week. He said he wants me to take his guns since he's too old to use them and does not want to sell them. I couldn't find an answer on the legality of brining guns into MA from out of state and registering them. Will a simple FA10 do once I get back to Mass? Or does and FFL have to get involved?

You are not "inheriting" the firearms. Inheriting means you're getting them from someone who died, you're just receiving the guns as a gift. All interstate firearm transfers (sales, gifts) have to go through an FFL. Long guns can be transferred at an FFL in any state, while handguns have to be transferred by an FFL in the recipient's state of residence.

If they are all long guns, then go to an FFL in his state and have them transferred to you. File FA10s as "Registration" on them within 7 days of returning to MA. They must all be legal under the MA Assault Weapons Ban. Same with magazines (10 rounds or less if made after 1994).

Any handguns will have to be shipped to an FFL in MA and transferred to you there. The FFL with handle the FA10s in that case. Handguns need to be MA compliant and magazines must be AWB legal.

If you're going to have stuff sent to an FFL in MA, you need to arrange it with them ahead of time, and they will need to know what kind of handguns they are to ensure they are MA compliant. They will also tell you what their fees are, and whether they will accept shipments directly from you or only from another FFL.

You are not "inheriting" the firearms. Inheriting means you're getting them from someone who died, you're just receiving the guns as a gift. All interstate firearm transfers (sales, gifts) have to go through an FFL. Long guns can be transferred at an FFL in any state, while handguns have to be transferred by an FFL in the recipient's state of residence.

If they are all long guns, then go to an FFL in his state and have them transferred to you. File FA10s as "Registration" on them within 7 days of returning to MA. They must all be legal under the MA Assault Weapons Ban. Same with magazines (10 rounds or less if made after 1994).

Any handguns will have to be shipped to an FFL in MA and transferred to you there. The FFL with handle the FA10s in that case. Handguns need to be MA compliant and magazines must be AWB legal.

If you're going to have stuff sent to an FFL in MA, you need to arrange it with them ahead of time, and they will need to know what kind of handguns they are to ensure they are MA compliant. They will also tell you what their fees are, and whether they will accept shipments directly from you or only from another FFL.

Even in a state where they don't register firearms (new Mexico)?. Lets assume all the guns are MA compliant, if they aren't registered to being with, could I just bring them into MA and register them? With no original "registration" to transfer over, how would MA know any difference?

Last edited:
Even in a state where they don't register firearms (new Mexico)?. Lets assume all the guns are MA compliant, if they aren't registered to being with, could I just bring them into MA and register them? With no original "registration" to transfer over, how would MA know any difference?

This isn't a matter of registration or MA law, this is a matter of Federal law. Federal law dictates that guns cannot be transferred person-to-person if those two people reside in different states. An FFL must be involved in the transfer.

Read this page, especially questions 1 and 2. Note that when the ATF refers to "unlicensed person", they mean someone who do not have an FFL.

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

This isn't a matter of registration or MA law, this is a matter of Federal law. Federal law dictates that guns cannot be transferred person-to-person if those two people reside in different states. An FFL must be involved in the transfer.

Read this page, especially questions 1 and 2. Note that when the ATF refers to "unlicensed person", they mean someone who do not have an FFL.

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Very helpful. Thank you

+1

/thread

When did transferring of long guns become necessary. I ask as this as a hypothetical scenario. Grandfather gives 22 rifle to grandson. Grandson is only in their teens at the time and say it happened 15 or more years ago

The law is wrong but it is the law.

You can work to change (read as repeal) the gun laws we have, you can comply with the law or you can break the law.

In the first and second case there are tremendous resources here to help you.

If your intent is to break the law, number one, figure it out for yourself and number 2, broadcasting your intent here is sheer stupidity.

The law is wrong but it is the law.

You can work to change (read as repeal) the gun laws we have, you can comply with the law or you can break the law.

In the first and second case there are tremendous resources here to help you.

If your intent is to break the law, number one, figure it out for yourself and number 2, broadcasting your intent here is sheer stupidity.

I wasn't intending to break the law. I posed this question so that I could know what the law is in order to abide by it.

Good to know.

You have your answer. There may be transfer fees involved, using an FFL, but the cost will be less than the value of the guns. Talk to you local FFL, to find out their policies, before you go to the donor's place, so that your ducks are in a row.

Let us know what scores you get!

Back
Top Bottom