• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inheriting an illegally possessed firearm

Wait a second, if the firearms were purchased or obtained prior to any FID or legal requirement to have a license, how can they be confiscated???

Wait a second, if the firearms were purchased or obtained prior to any FID or legal requirement to have a license, how can they be confiscated???

You're talking about MA here. They can do what they want and MA courts will uphold anything they do, regardless of how outrageous it is.

NOTE: wrt the title . . . you can NOT "inherit" from living people. They have to be dead first.

Couldn't you take them out of state and buy them with a C&R? I was trying to get an answer on that when I bought a Mosin from someone who was out of FA10s. We ended up just doing it at a dealer.

Legally, you mean?

Yeah. C&R allows you to buy C&R guns from anyone anywhere. If you're outside MA, MA law shouldn't apply. It seems legal to me, but there may be a gotcha somewhere.

First, understand my thoughts here are hypothetical, not critical. *I* hold the laws that restrict our ownership, use and commerce of firearms to be unconstitutional and devoid of morality on the part of our lawmakers.

I know that there is no issue with purchasing a C&R qualified firearm from out of state and bringing it here.

The issue is, the firearm being discussed is hypothetically already in Mass. Moving it out of state (for the purpose of bringing it back in) would be an unlawful transfer, wouldn't it?

In a world with a legal system based on the principles of Named Pipes, the current owner would simply give or sell it to the new owner, who would be free to enjoy it as s/he wished.

Last edited:
Assuming you havent done this yet, I suggest you talk to him while he is still alive. Find out more about the history of the guns. If they have sentimental value, certain decisions can be made with less anxiety.

If I were in your shoes, I would take them and do nothing other than keep them locked away. Safe from the frothing, meddling, nagging Statist Totalitarian thugs that "run" Massachusetts.

This is wrong. A c and r will allow you, as an ffl, to purcbase a curio and relic firearm from an unlicensed individual.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

you forgot "So long as the sale is legal under the laws of the state". Meaning he has to have a Mass license to sell to you if you also live in Ma.

Jump through hoops to get a FID, yes they are "must issue" and iirc seniors get a discount, or you drive the guns to a FFL and pay the transfer fee and get it over with

Jump through hoops to get a FID, yes they are "must issue" and iirc seniors get a discount, or you drive the guns to a FFL and pay the transfer fee and get it over with

Seniors do NOT get a discount. ONLY if it is a renewal and the person is >70 yo, they get their renewals for free . . . assuming that the PD abides by the law. [A now deceased friend was mighty pissed when he was charged $100 anyway for his LTC renewal and he was >70. He knew the law and I'm sure that the chief did too, but didn't care.]

. . . [A now deceased friend was mighty pissed when he was charged $100 anyway for his LTC renewal and he was >70. He knew the law and I'm sure that the chief did too, but didn't care.]

While I realize that it is tool late in this case, the appropriate response to a situation like that is to cost the town more than they cost you. Sue the bastards. If he somehow gets more money than the $100 he was charged, he can donate it to charity.

At the very least, he has the enjoyment of making the town waste a little time and money.

While I realize that it is tool late in this case, the appropriate response to a situation like that is to cost the town more than they cost you. Sue the bastards. If he somehow gets more money than the $100 he was charged, he can donate it to charity.

At the very least, he has the enjoyment of making the town waste a little time and money.

You won't win any money in a case like this. He did bitch mightily to both myself and his Son-in-Law, who was a former officer in said department as well as former chief in another town. It might have been squared away, I don't know and it is too late to ask anyone involved.

Back
Top Bottom