• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inherited Guns

This is a follow-up to the post I made over in the Gun Laws section. I have retrieved the information from the handguns my coworker inherited after his father passed away. He's somewhat fearful of handguns and has asked me for advice. I informed him of his legal rights/responsibilities and told him that I'd be happy to assist him with research (read: Google search and mooch info off the much more knowledgeable folks who peruse this forum). Here are the details:

Oddest: a Rohm RG2 that looks like a hammerless, vest-pocket semi-auto, but appears to be a starter/cap gun. It has a fake barrel, a square opening the length of the gun, a door on the rear of the "slide" where a 6-"round" capacity slide is housed. There is a hole on the top of the "slide" that appears to be the venting section for the caps or blanks that get fired out of this weird thing. It's made of metal and I cannot find much information on it anywhere. I assume it has little to no collector's value; perhaps someone here can enlighten me?

5-Round Revolver: Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works / Fitchburg, MA USA. There are no caliber markings on this break-open revolver, but it appears to be either .25 or .32, judging by it's size. Some initial research leads me to believe that this is a later-model Iver Johnson, as there is no serial number on the butt (despite some wear on the markings that are there: PAT'D APR.6.96 FEB.15.87 MAY.10.87 MAR.13.88 AU* ** ** PAT'S PEND**) which leads me to believe that the serial number is under the grips (which I haven't removed yet). The finish of the revolver is in decent condition. It has a trigger safety, too.

Colt Automatic Hammerless .25: It appears to be a 1908 Vest Pocket model, serial number 160849. Appears to be in good conditon and came apart nicely (watch those springs! Glocks spoiled me, hehehe).

Needless to say, I'm glad he asked me about them first instead of handing them over to the police for destruction. I don't know if there's much value to these pistols, but if the is I'm sure he'll be happy to put them on consignment. If they're not valuable, I'll probably have dibs :)

Anyone have any experience with these kinds of handguns, or some knowledge they'd be willing to impart on a fella? Thanks in advance!

BTW: Putting the Colt back together is a pain in the butt. I'm still trying to get the grooves in the barrel to match up properly with the grooves in the slide, the the twist to hook into the grooves in the receiver. Sheesh!

Yog,

Take a look on the I'net for a manual on that gun. Many websites have fairly complete collections of manuals that can really help in assy/disassy.

Here is a great site with information about Colt semi-automatic pistols. There is a link about halfway down the opening page (original factory instruction sheets) to copies of the manuals for Colt pistols. This is where I learned how to dis-assemble and re-assemble my early Colt autos. It's not very difficult, but you do have to line the frame/slide/barrel pretty exactly to get it back together.

http://www.coltautos.com/

serial number 160849

It looks like this pistol dates to about 1917.

Does the Iver Johnson have the owl's head grips? Some of the models were pretty common and I think some were a copy of a S&W design. Although I.J. did introduce some safety features to them.

I have my Grandfather's I.J. 1903 5 shot .38. Some of the early ones were designed to shoot balck powder cartrigdes. The condition of mine leads me to believe that black powder or at least corrosive ammo had been fired in it in the past. (and not cleaned very well) This one will never be fired again, it's being kept as a piece of family history.

I haven't done allot of research into it yet, so I don't have a good idea on values. I think mine is probably in the $150 range.

Good luck on gathering info, hopefully you'll be able to pick these up.

CD

Ed had a Colt which I bought for him on my C&R. It was a nice little gun but a pain to put back together. I sold it to put towards his Mosin. I can't remember how much I paid for it...I seem to remember it was around $200, but that was also 3 or 4 years ago. FWIW...

Thanks much all!

That coltautos.com site was where I'd picked up how to disassemble, but like many of you said: it's pretty exacting when it comes to getting the barrel back in properly. I'll have another go at it tonight when my eyes aren't halfway shut :)

The Iver Johnson does have the owl head grips.

I'm sure that if this guy can get a few hundred dollars (all told) from selling these pistols, he will do so.

Check that: I just spoke with him - he said that if was only interested in selling them if they were worth lots and lots of money. He just gave them to me! Wheeee! FA10 forms, here I come...hehehe.

YogSothoth said:
Check that: I just spoke with him - he said that if was only interested in selling them if they were worth lots and lots of money. He just gave them to me! Wheeee! FA10 forms, here I come...hehehe.

Some people just have all the luck. Congrats Yog. :D

Back
Top Bottom