• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inheritance???

I have searched the forums about inheritance but I can't find the specific answer I need. Any help would be appreciated. My issue; I'm a MA resident with an LTC and I was asked to hold onto four firearms for my friends family. My friend's grandmother died and had guns in her home from her son who also passed away(my buddy's uncle who had a license). No one now has a license so they want me to hold onto them until he returns from service or they decide to sell them to an FFL. Or if no one wants them I can have them. Can I just hold them indefinantly? If they decided to give them to me(free), can I just fill out an FA-10 and check registration? This is all in MA.

If they decided to give them to me(free), can I just fill out an FA-10 and check registration?

IIRC, you can do 4 per year if you have had no other F2F sales and they haven't either. Otherwise they would need to be transferred via a dealer.

IIRC, you can do 4 per year if you have had no other F2F sales and they haven't either. Otherwise they would need to be transferred via a dealer.

The 4 transfer limit is only on how many guns one can sell as a non-dealer. There's no restriction on how many guns you can buy from individuals.

Can I just hold them indefinantly? If they decided to give them to me(free), can I just fill out an FA-10 and check registration? This is all in MA.

You have 180 days to hold them and/or have them transferred from the legal heir. After that point, if an extension is not given by the local licensing authority, they are illegally owned (even though they are legally possessed) and must be surrendered (§ 129C(n)). If you do want to transfer them on an FA-10, you would fill it out as a transfer with the seller's information (the legal heir), not as a registration. And doobie is right, they could only transfer at most four guns to you, the rest would have to go through an FFL (§ 128A).

And can any of the above legal luminaries explain how unlicensed corpses transfer ownership of firearms? [slap]

Or how someone who is neither related nor named in a will - if there even was one - somehow inherits?

Or how acquisitions are limited to 4/year?

Special operators are waiting for your call....... [rolleyes]

And can any of the above legal luminaries explain how unlicensed corpses transfer ownership of firearms? [slap]

Or how someone who is neither related nor named in a will - if there even was one - somehow inherits?

Or how acquisitions are limited to 4/year?

<shrug>

I was only answering the questions, "How long can I hold guns for an unlicensed inheritor?" and "How can that inheritor transfer them to me?" I wasn't questioning whether the inheritance itself was carried out correctly. Perhaps I should have.

<shrug>

I was only answering the questions, "How long can I hold guns for an unlicensed inheritor?" and "How can that inheritor transfer them to me?" I wasn't questioning whether the inheritance itself was carried out correctly. Perhaps I should have.

Indeed.

Back
Top Bottom